PDA

View Full Version : US Senator doesn't know what the Consitution is

AJ Antimony
03-27-2008, 06:45 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/27/nelson.voting/

Sen. Bill Nelson is calling for presidential primary reform with the current debacle over Michigan and Florida.

- He seems to forget political parties and their system of nominating a candidate have nothing to do with the government and its election. Telling people how to nominate candidates--sounds like a 1st amendment violation to me.

He also wants to ditch the Electoral College in exchange for the popular vote.

- The founders didn't include the electoral college just to fuck around with 21st century America. It was included for a reason. This senator should look up that reason instead of blaming the electoral college for Gore's 2000 loss.

The only good thing he suggested was getting rid of electronic voting. But that doesn't make up for ignoring the Constitution.

"My fight has been based on the principle that in America every citizen has an equal right to vote.

"It is based on a premise that Floridians are entitled to have their votes count as intended. And it is based on a belief that we all deserve a say in picking our presidential nominees."

Guess what, it's the parties that pick who they want to nominate. When the American people of those parties can't follow the rules, there are consequences. It's called responsibility, Senator.

Feelgood
03-27-2008, 07:59 PM
God I hate Nelson, like you dont even know. I have sent him so many emails, telling him I disapprove of how he is representing me. Basically each response is along the lines of, he does what he feels is best and in our best interest. He doesnt give a damn about how people think or feel. And these asses just keep re-electing him. :rolleyes:

kigol
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
:ugh:

Lovecraftian4Paul
03-27-2008, 10:28 PM
The electoral college is broken too, precisely because of the party system. It needs to be reformed, but only by Constitutional amendments, as is only right.

runderwo
03-27-2008, 11:13 PM
The electoral college is broken too, precisely because of the party system. It needs to be reformed, but only by Constitutional amendments, as is only right.

How is it broken because of the party system? Winner take all is not encoded into the Constitution. It's state laws that are wrong.