PDA

View Full Version : Independent Run?

Theriot
03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I know Dr. Paul has said that he is 99% sure that he will not run as a 3rd party candidate. But since McCain already has the Republican nomination locked up, wouldn't this option be best to get his MESSAGE HEARD by the public? That is the point of this Revolution anyways.

nate895
03-27-2008, 06:46 PM
It isn't locked up, most delegates are free to make their own choice, and we are having success in getting delegates in Missouri's (the first primary state holding its caucuses) caucuses, and we could unbind the 58 (55 elected) delegates he received there.

notcarljung
03-27-2008, 06:57 PM
I too want to see him run as an independent/3rd party. Indeed, it's all about the message at this point. If even a few more supporters could be gained, it would be worthwhile. Hopefully after the convention he'll change his mind.

nate895
03-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I too want to see him run as an independent/3rd party. Indeed, it's all about the message at this point. If even a few more supporters could be gained, it would be worthwhile. Hopefully after the convention he'll change his mind.

Then he will not be on any ballots because the deadlines had passed.

notcarljung
03-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Hmm... good point.

IDefendThePlatform
03-30-2008, 09:07 AM

If he gets a third party nomination he would probably be on all 50 ballots. He could get the nomination of either the Constitution party or the Libertarian party or possibly both. They only have about 15 states each right now, but are continuing to get signatures, and if Dr. P became either parties nominee they would suddenly have 10 times as many volunteers working for them.

I totally agree with the op that the best way to get more supporters and continue the movement is for Dr. P to run third party over the next 7 months. It beats him just going back to congress and appearing on Fox News once a month.

MN Patriot
04-08-2008, 06:26 AM
If he gets a third party nomination he would probably be on all 50 ballots. He could get the nomination of either the Constitution party or the Libertarian party or possibly both. They only have about 15 states each right now, but are continuing to get signatures, and if Dr. P became either parties nominee they would suddenly have 10 times as many volunteers working for them.

I totally agree with the op that the best way to get more supporters and continue the movement is for Dr. P to run third party over the next 7 months. It beats him just going back to congress and appearing on Fox News once a month.

This has been my suggestion for many months, but the Ron Paul campaign seems to think we need to have a revolution within the Republican Party.

Frankly, I am confused what Ron's strategy is. His website is still recruiting precinct leaders. WHY? There is no need for them anymore if he is seeking the Republican nomination.

If Ron were to run as a Libertarian again, he would be able to get his message out in front of the American people with the help of his vast number of supporters. If the Libertarian Party could get their act together, they would have Ron Paul congressional candidates running for every district. He wouldn't be a loner on the ballot, there would be hundreds of like-minded candidates running with him. All of them speaking about the corrupt Establishment and how we are getting screwed by them.

If all he wants to do is speak in the Republican Convention, nobody except the conventioneers will see it. He won't be televised, Faux will just air American Idol reruns.

Many people are worried that the Republican Party will be mad at Ron and the rest of us. They already are, look at what the Republican Establishment is trying to do in Minnesota. Run as a Libertarian, take votes away from the Republicans, start a new revolution.

nate895
04-08-2008, 08:57 PM
This has been my suggestion for many months, but the Ron Paul campaign seems to think we need to have a revolution within the Republican Party.

Frankly, I am confused what Ron's strategy is. His website is still recruiting precinct leaders. WHY? There is no need for them anymore if he is seeking the Republican nomination.

If Ron were to run as a Libertarian again, he would be able to get his message out in front of the American people with the help of his vast number of supporters. If the Libertarian Party could get their act together, they would have Ron Paul congressional candidates running for every district. He wouldn't be a loner on the ballot, there would be hundreds of like-minded candidates running with him. All of them speaking about the corrupt Establishment and how we are getting screwed by them.

If all he wants to do is speak in the Republican Convention, nobody except the conventioneers will see it. He won't be televised, Faux will just air American Idol reruns.

Many people are worried that the Republican Party will be mad at Ron and the rest of us. They already are, look at what the Republican Establishment is trying to do in Minnesota. Run as a Libertarian, take votes away from the Republicans, start a new revolution.

I have to agree right now, but I think Ron Paul and other like minded individuals should get together with the LP, CP, and other conservative third parties and unite under one banner. If this party, whatever its style, were able to get 25% (anything above 15% would be good) of the Presidential vote, it would be considered a major party, legally. While I used to be for fighting within the GOP, I am now realizing that the GOP doesn't want us.

IDefendThePlatform
04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I have to agree right now, but I think Ron Paul and other like minded individuals should get together with the LP, CP, and other conservative third parties and unite under one banner. If this party, whatever its style, were able to get 25% (anything above 15% would be good) of the Presidential vote, it would be considered a major party, legally. While I used to be for fighting within the GOP, I am now realizing that the GOP doesn't want us.

I agree. I've been dreaming about uniting the Libertarian, Constitution and Reform parties behind Dr. P for a while now. RP has an incredible opportunity to continue to spread his message and win many more converts if he chooses to run third party. Changing Republican party platform planks is good, but it just doesn't engage as many people as a presidential candidacy.

nate895
04-08-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree. I've been dreaming about uniting the Libertarian, Constitution and Reform parties behind Dr. P for a while now. RP has an incredible opportunity to continue to spread his message and win many more converts if he chooses to run third party. Changing Republican party platform planks is good, but it just doesn't engage as many people as a presidential candidacy.

I didn't even read the platform, even though I considered myself a Republican, before I started to like Ron Paul. Platforms matter in UK parliamentary systems because the House of Commons can override the House of Lords and send laws straight for Royal assent, but there is no Sovereign that needs to give their assent to laws here, and could you imagine bypassing the Senate and going straight to the President.

Kotin
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
what can be done though, i also feel as though the GOP is scared of us and will do anything to disenfranchise us..

we need to do something.

nate895
04-08-2008, 10:13 PM
what can be done though, i also feel as though the GOP is scared of us and will do anything to disenfranchise us..

we need to do something.

The GOP is only the front of the conspiracy.