PDA

View Full Version : Truckers' Shutdown Gaining Steam! 18,000 committed

Highstreet
03-27-2008, 10:16 AM
The Shortage thread from yesterday sent me on a fact finding mission.

There is a Confirmed Shutdown in the works for April 1st. This seems to be only a one day affair, NOT a strike, as Dan Little makes clear. It's purpose seems to be to send a message to congress. Not that they will listen, but they may have to if it gets any bigger.

So far, he says he has 2000 companies and individuals committed, plus the IWW which has committed another 16,000 trucks.

Should be interesting.

Radio Interview here:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/april-fools-day-truckers-shutdown-gains-momentum/

According to Mr. Little, they are asking for Congress to remove the Repeat Gas Tax that happens every time a Trucker crosses a State Line. Not only do they pay the State and National Taxes at the pump when they fill up, but they pay it AGAIN every time they enter a new State. That seems as outrageous as the Fed Gov taxing our Soc. Sec. Checks, ie Double Taxation.

Phantom
03-27-2008, 10:21 AM
They need to convoy all the way to the White House.

acptulsa
03-27-2008, 10:21 AM
The fatcats are squeezing the hell out of owner operators. Wouldn't blame them for really striking. When you lose money on every mile, why wouldn't you? Sure, they lose more money sitting and making payments, but if diesel keeps going up...

constitutional
03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
OP seems very happy about this strike.

damn the commies.

OptionsTrader
03-27-2008, 10:32 AM
I wish more people were this pissed off.

sratiug
03-27-2008, 10:35 AM

damn the commies.
Would you rather it wait until McCain is elected and invades Iran and gas is $8 a gallon? Or would it be better to happen now, to point out the obvious, that a "global" economy requires massive amounts of fuel that nobody can afford?

Highstreet
03-27-2008, 10:35 AM

damn the commies.

It's not a strike. It's a One Day Shutdown.

It is a voluntary action taken by individuals and individual companies, Not some union. I do support it. I agree with them that they shouldn't be Double Taxed on gas.

Do you not support voluntary actions and civil disobedience?

Listen to the radio interview with Little and then come back and discuss it. He is very professional and says he doesn't support the idea of a "strike". This is just an action to bring attention to the Double Taxation.

dannno
03-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey, I think everybody should have the freedom to unionize.. Though it should never be required to join, and they should not become 'establishments', otherwise they just end up harming the worker in the long run.

Highstreet
03-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey, I think everybody should have the freedom to unionize.. Though it should never be required to join, and they should not become 'establishments', otherwise they just end up harming the worker in the long run.

Again this is NOT a Union. This is a voluntary action.

Truth Warrior
03-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Send in the Mexican trucking H1Bs! :)

acptulsa
03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Send in the Mexican trucking H1Bs! :)

Try this face: :mad: You just think you were joking.

Truth Warrior
03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Try this face: :mad: You just think you were joking. As an experienced unemployed IT guy, I wasn't joking. I just couldn't find the smiley for sarcasm. Oh, there it is ............ :rolleyes:

Thanks! :D

peters
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
So, is there any way to support them? Anti-tax people are by default close to the Ron Paul camp.

Truth Warrior
03-27-2008, 11:24 AM
So, is there any way to support them? Anti-tax people are by default close to the Ron Paul camp.
Don't buy anything on April 1 in solidarity with the truckers? See who cares or even notices.

mczerone
03-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Don't buy anything on April 1 in solidarity with the truckers? See who cares or even notices.

There will be a shutdown.

There will be the "required" amount of coverage (e.g. "A small contingent of truckers participated in a shut-down today to protest gas prices. What the weather look like for opening day, Clark?").

No one who isn't looking will notice.

Carole
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Maybe our people should go out there with our banners. :)

Does anyone know if the Mexican drivers are taxed equally? I would hate to think this is one-sided.

He also mentioned insurance and other issues. Truckers have some hefty expenses.

LibertyIn08
03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
"Ron Paul Supporters Aid In Attempted Systematic Shutdown of US Commerce."

Sounds admirable. :rolleyes:

Recession
03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
It would be awesome to have hundreds of semis at the march on washington.

defe07
03-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Would the truckers march with us in DC when we and many other freedom lovers go to Foggy Bottom? Just curious :D

michaelwise
03-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Since the globalists have organized themselves to take everything they can from the common working folks, turnabout is fair play. All large groups should voluntarily organize themselves to take back in concessions everything the can from the globalists, as long as the globalists exist. They only way they can negotiate on equal footing with the counter-parties, is power in numbers. They are only concerned with their own interests related to their business activity, and as long as their concerns don't impose on mine, it's Ok with me.