PDA

View Full Version : DHS to require passports to fish in Great Lakes

XNavyNuke
03-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Some Lake Erie fishing trips to require passports (http://www.marionstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080327/NEWS01/803270314)

When the 2008 charter season begins next month, U.S. citizens paying to fish on Lake Erie will have to bring either a passport or two other IDs if they plan to cross the northern border's invisible watery line.

When they get back to shore in the USA, they'll have to drive to a local government reporting station and pose for pictures. They won't be posing with their fish, but for customs officers via a videophone connection.

That's because half of Lake Erie - as it happens, the half with the deeper and cooler waters that often spawn the best fishing - is in Canada. The Homeland Security Department intends to enforce new border security rules - largely focused on those coming into the country by land and air - on fishermen re-entering the country.

Mother may I? Thanks Herr Chertoff!

XNN

Dr.3D
03-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Meanwhile down on the southern border, there is little happening in the way of security.

tmosley
03-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Soon you'll need a real ID to take a crap in a government building.

I'll just use the steps out front, thanks.

OptionsTrader
03-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Soon you'll need a real ID to take a crap in a government building.

I'll just use the steps out front, thanks.

If they were smart, they would require it to initiate the pump at gas stations. Can you imagine not being able to get gas w/o a Real ID? It would make even me break down and get a damn Real ID I think...

acptulsa
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
If they were smart, they would require it to initiate the pump at gas stations. Can you imagine not being able to get gas w/o a Real ID? It would make even me break down and get a damn Real ID I think...

Damn it, stop giving them ideas!

OptionsTrader
03-27-2008, 10:51 AM

The card reading electronics and network connection is already there...

angelatc
03-27-2008, 11:27 AM

That is what will happen though! The immigration folks are all fired up because Ron Paul won't support the SAVE act, which increases surveillance by the federal government. (I do not know if that is why Paul will not support it, but that is why I hope he does not support it.)

How hard would it be to end fiat currency and replace it with debits and credits? Then illegal aleins couldn't buy anything here even if they managed to get a job....at least that's the way they would see it.

I find it chilling.

youngbuck
03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Meanwhile down on the southern border, there is little happening in the way of security.

What? We have a southern border?

thuja
03-27-2008, 11:58 AM

oh, oh, you may have given them an awful idea.

Dr.3D
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Some Lake Erie fishing trips to require passports (http://www.marionstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080327/NEWS01/803270314)

XNN

So does this mean, they think the fish caught might be Canadian? :rolleyes:

amy31416
03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Friggin' insane. Erie, PA is the home of former Homeland Security jerk Tom Ridge--I had to show five (5) forms of ID to get a driver's license here. Now I need a freaking passport if I want to go on a fishing excursion? Absolutely ridiculous. I won't do it.

Cowlesy
03-27-2008, 01:05 PM

XNN

That is absolutely absurd.

Cowlesy
03-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I may go Walleye fishing sometime this fall, and there is no way I'm doing some stupid ass video-conference with these people.

My family has been in this country since the mid 17th century and I'll be damned if they are going to tell me where I can and cannot go f'ing fishing.

CGMike
03-27-2008, 07:20 PM

Actually the Gov't already thought of this one with the "Michel Jalbert" case a little while back.

Trouble at the Border (http://archive.seacoastonline.com/2003news/02162003/maine/13264.htm)