PDA

View Full Version : World History Textbook

LEK
03-27-2008, 06:04 AM
The Homeschool Text we are using for History is quite amazing - have to share Chapter 27.

The title of the chapter is "The Rise of Globalism".
Section 7 is called "A New World Order".

"In October 1995, approximately 180 of the world's leaders gathered in New York City to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the United Nations. President Clinton held an informal summit with Russian president Boris Yeltsin and Chinese president Jiang Zemon. Cuban dictator Fidel Castro was invited to a closed door session at the headquarters of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), a powerful international group dedicated to the eradication of national sovereignty and the establishment of a global government."

"Indeed, as the 20th century came to a close, there were many forces at work to establish a one-world government, including such international organizations as NAFTA, APEC, the WTO , the European Union, and, of course, the UN, with its plans for national disarmament and the establishment of a world army."

Textbook is 10th grade, "World History and Cultures" by A-Beka.
Can anybody share what a comparable public school textbook says on this subject matter?

OptionsTrader
03-27-2008, 06:10 AM
If it really says "there were many farces at work to establish a one-world government" I think that is great poetry, if not it is still a great Freudian slip.

Truth Warrior
03-27-2008, 06:32 AM
The Homeschool Text we are using for History is quite amazing - have to share Chapter 27.

The title of the chapter is "The Rise of Globalism".
Section 7 is called "A New World Order".

"In October 1995, approximately 180 of the world's leaders gathered in New York City to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the United Nations. President Clinton held an informal summit with Russian president Boris Yeltsin and Chinese president Jiang Zemon. Cuban dictator Fidel Castro was invited to a closed door session at the headquarters of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), a powerful international group dedicated to the eradication of national sovereignty and the establishment of a global government."

"Indeed, as the 20th century came to a close, there were many farces at work to establish a one-world government, including such international organizations as NAFTA, APEC, the WTO , the European Union, and, of course, the UN, with its plans for national disarmament and the establishment of a world army."

Textbook is 10th grade, "World History and Cultures" by A-Beka.
Can anybody share what a comparable publiuc school textbook says on this subject matter?

"There are no conspiracies, it all 'just happens' by accident."

Then in grades 1 - 12 repeat the above. :D

CoreyBowen999
03-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Well I can say that my textbook praises all the things that yours just hated.

LittleLightShining
03-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Are all of the A-Beka history books that good? I'm weighing my options for next year's curriculum for a 1st and 5th grader.

LEK
03-27-2008, 01:35 PM
If it really says "there were many farces at work to establish a one-world government" I think that is great poetry, if not it is still a great Freudian slip.

Oops...I fixed it...but I like the implication.

micahnelson
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
I survived Abeka when i was homeschooling. Teach your kids with primary sources and avoid all forms of brainwashing.

I remember the book telling me that Ross Perot only entered the race to give Clinton the presidency, that Vietnam protesters were wrong... etc etc.

ItsTime
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
You think the high school books are bad, wait to you see the college poli sci books.

LEK
03-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I survived Abeka when i was homeschooling. Teach your kids with primary sources and avoid all forms of brainwashing.

I remember the book telling me that Ross Perot only entered the race to give Clinton the presidency, that Vietnam protesters were wrong... etc etc.

Well, you still have to teach your kids discernment. I have found a couple of things I don't embrace 100% but for the most part I have been pleased with A-Beka for history. I do appreciate their transparency in the original post. And I do believe this text is better than what the public schools use...from what I have heard.

Near fell off my chair when my daughter shared it with me. :)

Kids need a voice of reason to balance the info. they get and eventually they make good, informed choices.

Ideally, that voice of reason is Mom and/or Dad.

I simply don't trust the government schools and the private ones are to expensive and the peer pressure is just as bad.

micahnelson
03-27-2008, 01:45 PM
When I went to public school, I learned nothing in history, almost less than nothing. Same for english, as you can tell from my spelling. I had good math and science teachers though.

ConstitutionGal
03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Are all of the A-Beka history books that good? I'm weighing my options for next year's curriculum for a 1st and 5th grader.

You might also want to see if you can get your hands on copies of the McGuffey Readers and Spellers. They are fantastic and were the books used to teach children during the later part of the 1800s and early 1900s. Along with the Abeka books, I highly recommend the Saxon math books.

LittleLightShining
03-28-2008, 06:13 AM
You might also want to see if you can get your hands on copies of the McGuffey Readers and Spellers. They are fantastic and were the books used to teach children during the later part of the 1800s and early 1900s. Along with the Abeka books, I highly recommend the Saxon math books.
Thanks for the suggestions. I love old textbooks and you're right the McGuffey's are great.

I have used Horizon math and I really like it but I'm thinking about switching to Singapore since Horizon doesn't go into upper level math and eventually I'll have to switch. I also think a transition to a completely different math style would be easier the younger we start. I have heard great things about the program from homeschoolers and a friend I have in Singapore. They REALLY are serious about their education there, especially math. I have limited knowledge of Saxon other than that they seem to rely heavily on packaged manipulatives which is what initially turned me off when I chose Horizon.

Sonlight curriculum has an American History program that I can use to teach both of the kids with just a little alteration. I was thinking of using that but I haven't completely made up my mind which is why I asked about A-Beka. I guess I should look into what they offer for my kids' levels and whether I can combine them or not. I like the idea of teaching both kids the same material for history and science but having them work on age-appropriate projects within the subjects.

micahnelson
03-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I love old textbooks and you're right the McGuffey's are great.

I was through the 5th grade mcguffey readers by the time I was in kindergarten. My Dad took the time with me to make sure I could read before he sent me off to school. I hope to do the same with my kids.

Education is everything- not schools and teachers- but education.