PDA

View Full Version : We Need to Get the Word Out on the "Enumerated Powers Act"

thomj76
03-27-2008, 12:47 AM
H.R. 1359: Enumerated Powers Act

To require Congress to specify the source of authority under the United States Constitution for the enactment of laws, and for other purposes.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1359

3/6/2007--Introduced.

Enumerated Powers Act - Requires each Act of Congress to contain a concise and definite statement of the constitutional authority relied upon for the enactment of each portion of that Act. Declares that failure to comply with this requirement shall give rise to a point of order in either chamber of Congress.

Please, spread this far and wide! Every member of Congress should know of this Act, and we need to rally around this and try to get this passed this session. If we can get this passed, it will be a solid step toward restoring the Republic.

The full text is as follows:

HR 1359 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1359

To require Congress to specify the source of authority under the United States Constitution for the enactment of laws, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 6, 2007

Mr. SHADEGG (for himself, Mr. WESTMORELAND, Mr. MILLER of Florida, Mr. GARRETT of New Jersey, Mr. LAMBORN, Mr. GINGREY, Mr. FLAKE, Mr. GOHMERT, Mr. MARCHANT, Ms. FOXX, Mr. BARTLETT of Maryland, Mr. BURTON of Indiana, Mr. HERGER, Mr. AKIN, Mr. CONAWAY, Mr. BISHOP of New York, Mr. PAUL, Mr. MCCOTTER, and Mrs. MYRICK) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Rules, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

A BILL

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Enumerated Powers Act'.

SEC. 2. SPECIFICATION OF CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY FOR ENACTMENT OF LAW.

(a) Constitutional Authority for This Act- This Act is enacted pursuant to the power granted Congress under article I, section 8, clause 18, of the United States Constitution and the power granted to each House of Congress under article I, section 5, clause 2, of the United States Constitution.

(b) Constitutional Authority Statement Required- Chapter 2 of title 1, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 102 the following new section:

`Sec. 102a. Constitutional authority clause

`Each Act of Congress shall contain a concise and definite statement of the constitutional authority relied upon for the enactment of each portion of that Act. The failure to comply with this section shall give rise to a point of order in either House of Congress. The availability of this point of order does not affect any other available relief.'

(c) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of chapter 2 of title 1, United States Code, is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 102 the following new item:

`102a. Constitutional authority clause.'.

Geronimo
03-27-2008, 05:07 AM
I emailed my congressmen about this the other day.

I'm beginning to think that phone calls would be more effective.

MozoVote
03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Bring a motion in support of this act to your county and district convention, and ask that your Rep become a co-signer.

If your Rep has already co-signed, write a motion for state convention asking that your entire delegation co-sign.

thomj76
03-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Bump...

thomj76
03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Bumpity bump...

syborius
03-29-2008, 01:47 PM
nice act to follow~! BUMP

thomj76
04-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Bump and maybe a sticky??? I would say that this is in my opinion a critical piece of legislation to call representatives on to pass...

thomj76
04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Bumpity bump bump... This is crucial to get the word out...

steve005
04-02-2008, 06:15 PM
bump

acptulsa
04-03-2008, 08:07 AM
bump

I'll second that.

thomj76
04-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Octagonal bumpage....

Crickett
04-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Any congressman who votes to table or votes against this bill should be impeached at once. This bill should not even HAVE to be written. It should be a "given". It is so unfortunate that it is not. and we need to follow this up with vigor!

Fields
04-05-2008, 10:51 AM
bump

thomj76
04-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Bump

sluggo
04-05-2008, 07:04 PM
http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=87

Downsize DC's system, for convenience..............

thomj76
04-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Fantastic addition... We need this stickied and for EVERYONE to take action in this.

NBTxn4RP
04-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I used the Downsize DC website...this is the only response I got - it's really just a bunch of BS...:mad:

Dear XXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1359, the Enumerated Powers Act. I welcome your thoughts and comments on this issue.

On March 6, 2007, Representative John B. Shadegg (R-AZ) introduced the Enumerated Powers Act. This legislation would require each Act of Congress to contain a brief and specific statement of the constitutional authority relied upon for each portion of its enactment. The measure provides for a point of order in either chamber of Congress if an Act fails to comply with the requirement. Should H.R. 1359 or similar legislation come before the full Senate, you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind.

The United States Congress, as mandated in the U.S. Constitution, is an elected body that is accountable to the people. I fully support the vision of the Founding Fathers. I assure you that as long as I remain in the U.S. Senate, serving the citizens of Texas, I will continue to work to preserve our Constitution.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-5922 (tel)
202-224-0776 (fax)
http://hutchison.senate.gov

thomj76
04-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Calling your representatives will work as well if not better. I'm sure that was an automated response that has been generated from Hutchison.

Keep it up!!!!

Crickett
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
metoo!

tekkierich
04-06-2008, 07:24 PM
If elected I will support and/or co-sponsor this bill.

tekkierich
04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I have written an article on this and posted it to my campaign website.

http://www.richardmatthews.org/read/?The-Enumerated-Powers-Act-HR-1359-3767

Paul Revered
04-06-2008, 11:35 PM
I posted the OP on MySpace.

thomj76
04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I am bumping this again.

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

Kade
04-08-2008, 12:55 PM
H.R. 1359: Enumerated Powers Act

3/6/2007--Introduced.

Enumerated Powers Act - Requires each Act of Congress to contain a concise and definite statement of the constitutional authority relied upon for the enactment of each portion of that Act. Declares that failure to comply with this requirement shall give rise to a point of order in either chamber of Congress.

Please, spread this far and wide! Every member of Congress should know of this Act, and we need to rally around this and try to get this passed this session. If we can get this passed, it will be a solid step toward restoring the Republic.

The full text is as follows:

HR 1359 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1359

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 6, 2007

Mr. SHADEGG (for himself, Mr. WESTMORELAND, Mr. MILLER of Florida, Mr. GARRETT of New Jersey, Mr. LAMBORN, Mr. GINGREY, Mr. FLAKE, Mr. GOHMERT, Mr. MARCHANT, Ms. FOXX, Mr. BARTLETT of Maryland, Mr. BURTON of Indiana, Mr. HERGER, Mr. AKIN, Mr. CONAWAY, Mr. BISHOP of New York, Mr. PAUL, Mr. MCCOTTER, and Mrs. MYRICK) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Rules, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

A BILL

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Enumerated Powers Act'.

SEC. 2. SPECIFICATION OF CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY FOR ENACTMENT OF LAW.

(a) Constitutional Authority for This Act- This Act is enacted pursuant to the power granted Congress under article I, section 8, clause 18, of the United States Constitution and the power granted to each House of Congress under article I, section 5, clause 2, of the United States Constitution.

(b) Constitutional Authority Statement Required- Chapter 2 of title 1, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 102 the following new section:

`Sec. 102a. Constitutional authority clause

`Each Act of Congress shall contain a concise and definite statement of the constitutional authority relied upon for the enactment of each portion of that Act. The failure to comply with this section shall give rise to a point of order in either House of Congress. The availability of this point of order does not affect any other available relief.'

(c) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of chapter 2 of title 1, United States Code, is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 102 the following new item:

`102a. Constitutional authority clause.'.

That will never, ever pass.

thomj76
04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Well now that we have vented in the negative plane, what will you do to positively effect change?

Kludge
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Sent, will call tomorrow.

Cheers.

thomj76
04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Just got a PSA out on Rush Limbaugh with Jason Lewis. Tomorrow, it would be a good time to call in on open line Friday in regard to this.

Carole
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Excellent! I emailed today.

However:

Other Bills with the Same Title
The list below shows legislation in this and previous sessions of Congress that had the same title as this bill. Often bills are incorporated into other omnibus bills, and you may be able to track the status of provisions of this bill by looking for an omnibus bill below. Note that bills may have multiple titles.

104th Congress: H.R. 2270Dead
105th Congress: H.R. 292Dead
106th Congress: H.R. 1018Dead
107th Congress: H.R. 175Dead
108th Congress: H.R. 384Dead
109th Congress: H.R. 2458Dead

Cinderella
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
ehhh....the constitution is just a piece of paper anyway...whats the big deal about it

thomj76
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't think this has been voted on ever. It has been tabled every year. The fact then becomes if I am right, that this is no longer the capstone of the "Contract with America", it now becomes the potential cornerstone for the future of the Republic.

thomj76
04-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Daily bumpage

thomj76
04-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Weekend bump...

Sticky would be nice...

mefleabyte
04-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Wonder when the site will update this? Wouldn't it be nice to see some (D) on there. :rolleyes:

Rep. John Shadegg [R-AZ]hide cosponsors
Cosponsors [as of 2008-01-27]
Rep. Todd Akin [R-MO]
Rep. James Barrett [R-SC]
Rep. Roscoe Bartlett [R-MD]
Rep. Rob Bishop [R-UT]
Rep. John Boozman [R-AR]
Rep. Dan Burton [R-IN]
Rep. Michael Conaway [R-TX]
Rep. David Davis [R-TN]
Rep. John Duncan [R-TN]
Rep. Tom Feeney [R-FL]