PDA

View Full Version : A thought, Quit Preaching to the Choir...

UtahApocalypse
08-19-2007, 01:21 PM
I have noticed a small problem here, and other area with the campaign. many people are focused on CFR, SPP, NAU, and etc.... Which is fine for those of us in the know. However, the majority of "John Doe" voters have absolutely no idea what any of that is, or why it matters. We need to quit using the message that is set for "the choir" and get out the "missionaries" message. We need to focus on issues that people know, understand, and can relate to. We need to dumb down the language to the level the sheeple can comprehend. We need to get the message of freedom and liberty out to the masses. Let's work on talking to the majority, not just the few.

jblosser
08-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Yep. We are trying to do something very difficult here, that doesn't have a very good success record in American (or even World) history. We need to pull together a very loose coalition of people who probably disagree on a whole lot of issues in support of one thing they can agree on: Ron Paul. Note that I did not say "no NAU" or "no real id" or even "freedom". Ron Paul will mean different things to different people, and we are all in it for our own reasons, and we need to keep people in it and bring even more into it.

This is all to say, I really encourage my groups to make Ron their message. Not even his principles, but him. When we hit the streets and carry signs and talk to people we tell them to go read about Ron Paul. If they need more issues detail we parrot back what Ron says and the issues he focuses on, because that is what's working for him, and that's what we are asking them to vote for after all. If they take the conversation in a particular direction (toward the NAU, for example) then that may be fair game for them but we don't open with it because that is not the message, Ron Paul is the message. One man's absolute truth is another man's insanity, and we need to keep in mind that the goal is Ron's election. After we achieve that we will have a platform from which to address all these other issues.

This does NOT mean I advocate soft selling or pandering or anything. Ron doesn't do those things, and I do get pretty deep into it with people that take the conversation there themselves. But Ron sells himself and his ideas better than anyone else, so I really prefer to just steer people to him instead of me or my own core issues.

axiomata
08-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Seconded. It's all about knowing your audience.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-19-2007, 01:30 PM
I suggested on another thread that we not approach GOP conservatives by yelling "get out now," but instead by talking about the Constitution, returning power to the states, and when appropriate, how RP is pro-life and pro-gun. (Similarly, don't talk to a liberal about guns and abortion, but about ending the war.) This is politics, folks, much as we might hate it.

Dave Wood
08-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I have had the same thought for a long time now!

Why dont we just pick 3 hot button type things that RP will do that will help all Americans and one someone asks who is RP? Dont say He is a congressman blah blah blah. Say he is going to give you back you hard earned money, He is going to straighten out the Iraq mess, He is going to give America back her good name in the world..............Talking points are unfortunately what will work with most people.

jblosser
08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I suggested on another thread that we not approach GOP conservatives by yelling "get out now," but instead by talking about the Constitution, returning power to the states, and when appropriate, how RP is pro-life and pro-gun.

Well, if they ask (and this is TX, so they do ask), we usually talk about how if we need to be over there then Congress should take responsibility and declare war so the president can go over there and win it and then bring them home. Congress won't do it because they want to hide behind their lack of responsibility and take pot shots at the president if it doesn't go well. And it's doomed to not go well because they won't give him full war authority to win, so his hands are tied. Point two is that if we *don't* make congress take responsibility and declare war we set the stage for a future president in 8 or 12 years who decides Israel or Mexico is a threat and goes after them, and how are we going to pull them back if we ignore it now?

So, 1) blame Congress, 2) we need the law. This does pretty well with pro-war GOP.

(Similarly, don't talk to a liberal about guns and abortion, but about ending the war.) This is politics, folks, much as we might hate it.

Just keep in mind Ron is not playing politics as usual and is WINNING, unlike the people who always do play politics as usual and never win. We need to pay attention to that or we risk breaking what is working in favor of old and busted conventional wisdom. If any of us don't feel confident enough to see the principled message like Ron does, carry DVDs with you and push those. No one says you have to debate them yourself. We got where we are via youtube speeches after all.

jblosser
08-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I have had the same thought for a long time now!

Why dont we just pick 3 hot button type things that RP will do that will help all Americans and one someone asks who is RP? Dont say He is a congressman blah blah blah. Say he is going to give you back you hard earned money, He is going to straighten out the Iraq mess, He is going to give America back her good name in the world..............

Because if you pick a set of talking points you risk alienating the people that hate your talking points. With a message like Ron's diluting it with talking points makes that risk even greater.

Talking points are unfortunately what will work with most people.

Ron Paul does not use talking points and is doing much better than anyone that has tried to restore liberty before. Let's please not ignore this or think we know better.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Just keep in mind Ron is not playing politics as usual and is WINNING, unlike the people who always do play politics as usual and never win. We need to pay attention to that or we risk breaking what is working in favor of old and busted conventional wisdom. If any of us don't feel confident enough to see the principled message like Ron does, carry DVDs with you and push those. No one says you have to debate them yourself. We got where we are via youtube speeches after all.

Ron Paul is no dummie. With Google, he implied he was not against civil unions, and spoke generally as a libertarian, but I don't recall him talking about being prolife. In Iowa, he began his speeches by being prolife. Sometimes he'll bring up guns; other times he won't, depending on the audience.

You only get so much time to get a point across. Out on the street, it's about 10 seconds. If they're not impressed in 10 seconds, they're moving on. So if you're talking to a hippie, why lead with prolife when you can lead with war? A businessman, start with getting rid of the IRS, not drug legalization.