PDA

View Full Version : 18 and dont really know what to do

SouthGeorgia61
03-26-2008, 02:10 PM

OptionsTrader
03-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I think the most important thing to do is sign up to be a precinct leader.
http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/

and would like to know wheres the best place to hand them out
Face to face at people's doors.

You should start knocking on doors and talking to people and handing out Ron Paul literature. But it is imperatve that you talk to them face to face. And if you find/create a supporter, get their contact info, address, name, email, and phone number so that you can drag them to vote in the general election.

acptulsa
03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Welcome! Thanks for jumping in!

Gather up your gumption, bone up on the issues and go knock on a door. First see if they're registered Republican, then try to talk them into voting against McCain as a protest vote. Tell them the nation's broke and needs a good doctor!

Good luck!

Nirvikalpa
03-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Massachusetts is rough. I was going to say to hand them out at supermarkets or post signs in stores... but in Massachusetts... I don't think people would bother to read them since it is a liberal state (RP literature is pretty welcome here in PA).

You know what I found out works good with liberal states? I made a couple of flyers on "the truth about Obama" (with the Obama logo so it catches people's eyes and makes them read it), only to expose it's really about how bad he would be for the economy and the country. Do this for Hillary, too. People don't want to verbally hear the truth about their candidate - but reading is a different story.

Once I finish with my new "the Truth about..." poster, I will add it to the graphics thread here on RPF.

And I am a 19 year old precinct leader. :) Good for you to be getting involved in politics.

acptulsa
03-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't think people would bother to read them since it is a liberal state

And yet in person you can make the argument that the federal government is a drain on the social safety net. The states are closer to the problems on the ground and can take care of problems much more efficiently.

Of course, that may or may not fly in a Republican primary voter's living room. Are Mass' primaries open?

SouthGeorgia61
03-26-2008, 02:22 PM

dirknb@hotmail.com
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Face to face at people's doors.

You should start knocking on doors and talking to people and handing out Ron Paul literature. But it is imperatve that you talk to them face to face. And if you find/create a supporter, get their contact info, address, name, email, and phone number so that you can drag them to vote in the general election.

+1

SouthGeorgia61
03-26-2008, 02:24 PM

OptionsTrader
03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
At first it is very hard to knock on doors, because you will get rejected a lot. But just like dating you need to be persistent and ignore the rejection.

Set a modest goal like one street in your subdivision. A street other than your own, but in your precinct so you don't know the people and it is easier. Set that one goal, and complete that street, and you'll have the confidence to canvass the whole subdivision and then the whole precinct. Make friends with a RP suppporter in your precinct and go to doors together if it is easier.

YOU are responsible for your own precinct, not the grocery store, not sign waves. YOUR precinct is your duty. No one is going to mobilize your precinct but you.

amy31416
03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Since it's rather liberal there, promote the anti-war theme, the freedom to choose whatever you want, smaller government to stop interfering with your lives, and possibly, in the right circumstances, ending the war on drugs.

SouthGeorgia61
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM

raystone
03-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Consider every door shut in your face a Badge of Honor. It means you are someone who is doing something.

Geronimo
03-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Try handing them out outside of your local banks and/or IRS offices.

Todd
03-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Use the tools on the precinct leader site. The hardest thing about the precinct thingy is getting the time to narrow your field of potential Paul voters. It takes time.
If you can only call 100 people.... do so. Get an idea of who is a potential Paul voter and what one issue is most important and then go visit or call them back.... selling Dr. Paul on that one issue and how he will rectify it. I know several precinct leaders who had the time to do this and it made a difference. Time is the problem. To narrow your field will keep you from going on a wild goose chase and is much more efficient . You also may get less doors slammed in your face :D

For the long run:
Join your local republican party and get other's who think the same way as you to go to. Then get involved.
You can't change things from the outside.

forsmant
03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
18 and life You got it
18 and life you know
Your crime is time and it's
18 and life to go

wgadget
03-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Maybe you could become a delegate?

Is it too late for that in MA?

Akus
03-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I just signed up as a precint leader and know what i have to do is get out the message even though its really late. I registered as a republican to vote for Ron in the Mass caucas on april 5th a few days ago but I can't vote for that thing since I had to of registered by Feb 13th, but I still want to help. I am going to order 15 dollars worth of silm jims and would like to know wheres the best place to hand them out, since I have never done anything like this before in my life. I dont have the money to do like call everyone in my precint and mail to them so this is the next best thing. Thanks for the help:)

step one: contact your local county's GOP (in TX, they're counties, in a Commonwealth of MA, they may be called something else, the point still stands) and ask them for a list of voters in the last GOP primary. If they don't have it, ask them where to go get them.
step two: knock on doors of those ppl. Wear a tie and slacks or whatever passes for looking legit up in MA :p Give out slim jims, though I'd rather you give out DVDs, but play by ear. Ask permission to contact by phone. Where I am, a smile, a nice tie, and a professional appearance made a lot of people disclose things they otherwise wouldn't, like the above mentioned phone number
step three: after a week or so, call and ask if they will be supporting Ron Paul. If yes, great, tell them to come to the precinct convention come (insert your precinct convention date here). Call them the day before as well as a friendly reminder.
step four: if your local grassroots have a precinct convention trainings, get the people who've IDed themselves as ROn Paul supporters to come.
step five: vote in the primary, stay after for the precinct convention
step six: get a hold of who among the Ron Paul supporters actually came and became a delegate, keep that list until your senatorial district convention....

This is how we did in TX, hopefully the differences between us and you are negligible.

Above all, never be an asshole. If people don't want to hear of RP, smile, wish them a nice day, and politely leave. If the local GOP headquarters do not wish to share something you need on your terms, but would more then happy to do the same on theirs, don't fight, just accept them. We Ron Paul people don't need to be pushy, hostile or combative.

Todd
03-27-2008, 08:36 AM
18 and life You got it
18 and life you know
Your crime is time and it's
18 and life to go

Ricky!!....your a young boy, and you have a heart of stone.
Get out and be a precinct leader from 9 to 5 and work your fingers to the bone. :D

Aratus
03-27-2008, 09:04 AM
not if NorthMass has VOTED this FEBRUARY!

April 5th is when people decide things!

jrskblx125
03-27-2008, 09:14 AM
id say stand out in front of gas stations with some money saving literature... lots of people get gas throughout the day and some are just lookin for a conversation!

Aratus
03-27-2008, 09:20 AM
http://www.massgop.com/FlexPage.aspx?area=convention here is where we all go...