PDA

View Full Version : Anti-war can be liability in GOP

Bradley in DC
03-26-2008, 04:15 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/9183.html

http://images.politico.com/global/080325_antiwarrepub.jpg

Anti-war can be liability in GOP
By W. JAMES ANTLE III | 3/24/08 8:32 PM EST Text Size:

In this ideas piece, Walter Jones faces GOP primary challenge that hinges on one-time “freedom fries” crusader’s sharp turn against Iraq war.
Photo: AP
Will he go the way of Wayne Gilchrest or Ron Paul? That’s the question facing seven-term Congressman Walter Jones of North Carolina. On May 6, Jones faces a GOP primary challenge that hinges mainly on the one-time “freedom fries” crusader’s sharp turn against the Iraq war.

Much of the recent history of anti-war Republicans does not bode well for Jones. On Feb. 12, Congressman Gilchrest of Maryland was sent packing after nine terms. A fiscal and social moderate, Gilchrest had faced more than two dozen primary challengers during his 18 years in Congress. Breaking with his party on Iraq finally did him in.

The country’s most visible anti-war Republican defied the odds, however. Congressman Ron Paul of Texas, who made withdrawal from Iraq a central plank of his quixotic GOP presidential campaign, trounced a pro-war primary challenge with more than 70 percent of the vote.

Jones’ primary opponent, Onslow County Commissioner Joe McLaughlin, has circulated a Public Opinion Research poll showing the two men tied. Jones has fired back with a National Research Inc. survey showing the incumbent beating McLaughlin 54 percent to 16 percent.

Paul’s race for an 11th term also featured dueling polls, with each campaign showing its man ahead. In that contest, the incumbent was right. Some polls also incorrectly suggested Gilchrest would hang on due to a divided field.

Jones will be an interesting test case because he represents a heavily military district that houses a third of the U.S. Marine Corps. Will military families take to his new dovishness?

It isn’t easy to be anti-war in the GOP. Only seven Republicans in both houses of Congress voted against authorizing the use of force in Iraq. By 2006, when the electorate was said to be fed up with President Bush’s prosecution of the war and resistance to changing strategies, only five of them remained. Now only two are left, joined by a few converts like Jones.

Rep. Connie Morella of Maryland was defeated for reelection in 2002, as her suburban Washington district became increasingly Democratic. Rep. Amo Houghton of upstate New York retired in 2004. But voting against the war did not help three targeted GOP incumbents in the putatively anti-war election of 2006.

Sen. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, Rep. John Hostettler of Indiana and Rep. Jim Leach of Iowa all fell to Democratic opponents that November. Chafee and Hostettler advertised their votes against the war. The latter won just 39 percent of the vote. While Iraq was not a major issue in defeating any of these Republicans, breaking ranks didn’t help them either.

Last year, Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska decided to retire rather than run for president or reelection. Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning decided to mount a Republican primary challenge against Hagel, largely in protest over the incumbent’s increasingly anti-war views. Bruning later departed from the race and endorsed Mike Johanns, but only after Hagel had concluded he had worn out his welcome among Beltway Republicans.

An anti-war stance is a liability in the GOP because the war remains popular among Republicans. A CBS News poll late last month found that 62 percent of Republicans approve of how Bush has conducted the war. Most conservatives believe opposition to the war is an opinion held only by liberals. The reduction in violence following the surge has increased their confidence that victory in Iraq is possible.

There is also little evidence that independents give anti-war Republicans much credit for bucking their party. It did not save Republicans like Chafee or Leach, who depended on swing votes. Perhaps Democrats and independents who oppose the war believe it is better to support the candidate of the reputedly anti-war party rather than an outlier from the more hawkish party. Chafee’s vote to organize the Senate may matter more to them than his votes on the war.

That’s why Republicans have mostly stayed the course while public opinion soured on the Iraq war. Jones is hoping he can be an exception to the rule and possibly even the beginning of a new trend.

W. James Antle III is associate editor of The American Spectator.

me3
03-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Bumpity. Good article.

rpfreedom08
03-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Republicans are discusting and this is coming from a republican of 10 years, I'm going LP.

LEK
03-26-2008, 09:22 AM
It's called sticking with your principles...character, integrity...whether any one else supports you or not.

acptulsa
03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
So, anti-war will lose you a G.O.P. primary, pro-war will lose you the general election, and the party faithful can't figure out why they're losing seats in congress. What a tough puzzle.

me3
03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Republicans are discusting and this is coming from a republican of 10 years, I'm going LP.
That's good. Help the disgusting Republicans by leaving. How many anti-war congressmen does the LP have?

familydog
03-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Being anti-war is a liability for Democrats too, at least if you're running for president.

New York For Paul
03-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Most of those Republican Congressmen were defeated for reasons other than the war. Either they had reapportionment problems, scandal, gambling issues and lobbyists or other issues.

Anti Federalist
03-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Of course it's a losing issue within the GOP.

The party has been overun with "National Greatness" neocons. Thier pitch plays well to the beer swilling, NASCAR good ole' boys within the GOP whose only concern is "Who's next to get this can of whoop ass I'm fittin' to open on ya'll".

Between that and "safety moms", you've got a better chance of selling snow cones in Iceland, than selling that mob on peace.

Aratus
03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
both jim ogonoski and john kerry are anti-war, i think!
recently jim ogonoski has said he'd bring the troops home
much sooner and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Brooke
quicker than mr. ted kennedy and mr. john kerry!!! i really had
to wonder, if he's elected, and returns to the republican party
the seat that was once held by ed brooke, can he keep his promice?
iwould ed brooke comes out of a miami retirement to back ogonowski...?

New York For Paul
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't want to go one by one dissecting each congressional race, but the article seems to have a bias. Most of those officials were defeated by reasons other than the war. The fact that the author brings up Rhode Island fails to neglect how much of a role a primary challenge from the Club for Growth had on the Republican Senator and all the other local issues for Rhode Island.

If you are referring to Massachusetts, I would venture to say that the biggest issue up there is the economy, not the war. Tied to that issue is the fact that the Dems are very good at bringing pork barrel projects to the state.

There is a very successful military industrial complex in Massachusetts tied to the research divisions of the universities. Millions and millions of dollars flows to Massachusetts. So an overriding issue is which candidate will bring home the most pork to keep people employed.

That is why Kennedy keeps getting reelected. Even though he is hated by many conservative Irish catholic democrats and conservative Italian democrats because of the social issues, they support Kennedy because he brings home the pork which keeps them employed.

Despite a great amount of pork coming into the state, Massachusetts has lost hundreds of thousand of people and lost several congressional seat due to reapportionment because people can't make it financially up there.

Aratus
03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
THE BIG DIG!!!
NOW THREE WORDs!
BIG PORK BARREL!

Aratus
03-26-2008, 11:29 AM
ogonowski has never voted for the big dig!

Shink
03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
All this will be obsolete info around 2010. There will be so many 'conservatives' opposing the Dem-controlled, non-conservative war. While opposing the war for votes, they will also propose some form of big government to become the new popular guys on the block.

rpfreedom08
03-27-2008, 09:16 AM
looks like anti-war can be liability for both sides. Ahh and the merger of the two parties continues.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/us-says-saddam-paid-for-lawmakers-trip/20080326195209990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Aratus
05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
the mood is changing... the public does not want a continual state of interventioning.
hawk verses dove tore apart the democrats in chicago in 1968. back then it was a less
polarizing issue amoungst liberal and conservative republicans. the opposite seems to be
the case right now. people who internet seem to be more anti-war. obama has more of a net
grassroots than does ms. hillary --- she's run a campaign that was more traditional. in her
own way, she's akin to mitt romney in the way she made political judgements while she
was being the flip side answer to his centrist middle of the road slightly rightwing coin.

tekkierich
05-20-2008, 10:14 AM
So, anti-war will lose you a G.O.P. primary, pro-war will lose you the general election, and the party faithful can't figure out why they're losing seats in congress. What a tough puzzle.

Republican Matthews calls for troops to come home in 2009 (http://www.richardmatthews.org/read/?Republican-Matthews-calls-for-troops-to-come-home-in-2009-3763)

I have won my primary. I will be emphasizing this issue. The incumbent democrat just voted to authorize additional war funding on Friday.

speciallyblend
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM

so true really. They are clueless. They will get their asses handed to them on a platter on election day. After what the gop has pulled on ron paul and republicans. I can only sit back and laugh at the gop for being so blind..

Rhys
05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
That's good. Help the disgusting Republicans by leaving. How many anti-war congressmen does the LP have?

+1

runningdiz
05-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Good article. Thanks for the interesting read.

OptionsTrader
05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Republican Matthews calls for troops to come home in 2009 (http://www.richardmatthews.org/read/?Republican-Matthews-calls-for-troops-to-come-home-in-2009-3763)

I have won my primary. I will be emphasizing this issue. The incumbent democrat just voted to authorize additional war funding on Friday.

You rock.

My new motto is "we outnumber the neocons." Once we realize we can take take power from them the same way they took power from us, the sooner we can have the country the founders designed.

tekkierich
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
You rock.

My new motto is "we outnumber the neocons." Once we realize we can take take power from them the same way they took power from us, the sooner we can have the country the founders designed.

thanks

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-21-2008, 02:00 PM
You rock.

That's a good motto. :)

Aratus
06-17-2008, 10:56 AM
are we as a movement still humouring ron paul's earnest desire to influence the republican party platform at the convention in st. paul?

i hope we are still thinking this through, for it gives people some four years hense a degree of self-pride, namely that the "W"

and his jingoism is being questioned! were we all not to ask for the people who are to go to St Paul... to... quit this all

WRellim
06-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Of course it's a losing issue within the GOP.

The party has been overun with "National Greatness" neocons. Thier pitch plays well to the beer swilling, NASCAR good ole' boys within the GOP whose only concern is "Who's next to get this can of whoop ass I'm fittin' to open on ya'll".

Between that and "safety moms", you've got a better chance of selling snow cones in Iceland, than selling that mob on peace.

I think it's also a symptom of a "dying party" -- most of those who are disgusted with GWBush and the war have LEFT the party... and/or no longer vote on the Republican ticket.

So when you see that only 20% of the population approves of Bush and Iraq -- those 20% are the majority of the people who vote in GOP primaries.

All that is left to vote in the GOP primaries is the minority people who are still Pro-Bush, pro-war. (And from what I have seen in GOP meetings locally, most of them are literally the "old farts" {in their 60's, 70's & 80's} -- with a handful of young idiots and sycophants -- who really don't have a clue what is going on in the world beyond what they see on Faux News).

Ergo a truly DYING political party. (And hence one "ripe for the picking" by a new group of young people willing to endure a year or two of BS to move into the local party positions of power).