PDA

View Full Version : Democrat running unopposed for (R) Congressional seat in NY, somebody STEP UP!

SneakyFrenchSpy
03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Syracuse, NY - Peter Cappuccilli Jr., the Republican candidate seeking Rep. Jim Walsh's seat in Congress, withdrew from the race today.

Cappuccilli had been the sole Republican candidate for the seat being vacated by the retirement of Walsh, R-Onondaga. Republican Randy Wolken announced March 13 that he was dropping his name from contention, and urged Republicans to unite around Cappuccilli.

Dan Maffei, who came within about 3,400 votes of beating Walsh in 2006, is the sole Democratic candidate in the race. Maffei, reached late tonight, declined comment on Cappuccilli's withdrawal.

The decision came after doctors warned Cappuccilli, 57, about his health, said his campaign spokesman, Kurt Stroman. Cappuccilli recently experienced medical symptons similar to those that accompany a transient ischemic attack, or mini-stroke, Stroman said.

"I do not think that it is fair to my family, my friends and supporters, the party or the residents of this district who are about to make a very important decision about their future representative in Congress, for me to continue this campaign while distracted by health concerns," Cappuccilli said in a statement released tonight. "As difficult as it is for me to accept that health concerns have caused me to formally withdraw my name from this race, I hope that people will understand that I need to take care of my health at this time."

Cappuccilli suffered a mini-stroke last year, according to his campaign's statement. He is undergoing testing at a hospital in West Palm Beach, Fla., where he was visiting family.

All campaign events, including any scheduled fundraisers, have been cancelled and all contributions will be returned in accordance with Federal Election Law, according to his campaign.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/peter_cappuccilli_wont_seek_wa.html

Come on people, this could be our chance! Someone step up and run against Maffei. We could have our first Ron Paul Republican in Congress right there.

Incumbent James Walsh (R) was part of the delegation who visited and urged Bush to start withdrawing from Iraq. A Ron Paul Republican would be well-received in that District I think.

nate895
03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I think that God is helping us. The same thing happened to Murray Sabrin's primary opponent.

Jeremy
03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
The only person I remember running in NY was Alex Merced... remember him? Where's he been? Anyway... I have no idea if he's still running or lives anywhere near this, but I have a feeling he was in a completely different district.

nate895
03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
The only person I remember running in NY was Alex Merced... remember him? Where's he been? Anyway... I have no idea if he's still running or lives anywhere near this, but I have a feeling he was in a completely different district.

He wasn't old enough, so he was going to run in a few years.

SneakyFrenchSpy
03-25-2008, 10:41 PM
NY-25: Lone Republican Drops Out
by: James L.
Tue Mar 25, 2008 at 10:35 PM EDT

Here's another bummer for the GOP: Jim (Sic) Cappuccilli, the lone remaining Republican candidate for the open seat of retiring GOP Rep. Jim Walsh is dropping out of the race due to health reasons:

Former State Fair Director Peter Cappuccilli has dropped out of the race for the 25th Congressional District after suffering symptoms of what is commonly known as a "mini stroke." [...]

Cappuccilli was the only remaining Republican in the race. The only other person currently running is Democrat Dan Maffei, who narrowly lost to Walsh in 2006. Republican Randy Wolken, president of the Manufacturers' Association of Central New York, dropped out of the race on March 13th.

Yikes. Does that sound familiar (http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-9/1204781723180230.xml&coll=1)?

Do you think the NRCC will even bother trying to find yet another millionaire businessman with questionable ethics to run here in Cappuccilli's place?

To post this comment click here:

Could this be any easier? This is like taking Candy from a baby...
Except we're Democrats here, so it would be more like, giving candy to a baby.

by: JeremiahTheMessiah @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 at 23:22:35 PM CDT

http://www.swingstateproject.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1621

These guys need a heavy dose of freedom and small-government! Let's give it to them!

Yom
03-25-2008, 11:04 PM
bump. Great opportunity. Someone get this out to the meet-up groups in the area to find a candidate!

humanic
03-26-2008, 12:04 AM
bump

Virginia Libertarian
03-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Hmm... but who will step up?

We could muster up someone..

SneakyFrenchSpy
03-26-2008, 12:22 AM
If I

1) were a US citizen or permanent resident.

2) still lived in Syracuse or Onondaga County

3) were a better public-speaker.

Until Congress gets their $hit together and expands the guest-worker program, I'll be stuck home in France on the count of items 1 & 2. So someone else will have to do this.

HOWEVER, I would totally come back and campaing for 3 months at a time (as a tourist) for whichever Ron paul Republican runs for the seat. I just love Syracuse that much and know the place like the back of my hand.

I can't tell you how ecstatic I am that this could become a reality. We just need the right person, with good charisma and a devoted team around for support.

SneakyFrenchSpy
03-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Bump for freedom!

hopeforamerica
03-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Somebody contact the meetup group with this info? Is there one in the area?

Aratus
03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
i'm a baystaterrrrrrrrrrrr and i have a colonial ancestor or two, or three.
even though i would thusly be moving in a very nice westerly direction,
i would be labeled an ex- LIMOUSINE LIBERAL and even a CARPETBAGGER!!!

Aratus
03-26-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/peter_cappuccilli_wont_seek_wa.html

Come on people, this could be our chance! Someone step up and run against Maffei. We could have our first Ron Paul Republican in Congress right there.

Incumbent James Walsh (R) was part of the delegation who visited and urged Bush to start withdrawing from Iraq. A Ron Paul Republican would be well-received in that District I think.

GO FOR IT!

Aratus
03-26-2008, 11:21 AM
i ain't got no limousine so i cannot travel thusly...

SneakyFrenchSpy
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Mark Bednarczyk aka voytechs on this very forum also runs "The Central New York Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group". I PMed him yesterday, and here's his response:

I have a meetup scheduled at my house this weekend. We have 2 people running for local office and we will discuss this development.

Cheers,
mark...

I'm crossing fingers and hoping something substantial comes out of this. The meetup group is 200 large.

MikeStanart
03-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Considering the current politicians in New York;

As long as you haven't paid a hooker 4,000 for a quickie...

As long as you haven't slept around..

As long as you haven't done cocaine..

You're probably the ideal candidate!

RP4EVER
03-26-2008, 12:12 PM
LOL; the tide is turning; shameless plug follows

Donate to Mike Moloney in the 12th District of California...hes running for an open seat special election April 8th; any Californians out there please plug away for him; any one up to donating please do so; we a chance at the CA seat and this open NY seat.

JosephTheLibertarian
03-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I think that God is helping us. The same thing happened to Murray Sabrin's primary opponent.

HAHAHA. Yeah, sometimes I wonder if the easter bunny helps me out sometimes.

manny
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
bump :)

voytechs
03-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the support and encouragement. We have over 200 people in our meetup and a few are interested in running for office. I've fowarded this information to out meetup and we will discuss it at this weekends Ron Paul BBQ at my house. David Gay, who was also #1 precinct captain recruiter in the entire nation is running for local office and so are a few other Ron Paul revolutionaries.

I'll keep you updated.

This is meetup-210 and we have new people joining us every day!

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
03-26-2008, 01:07 PM
What are the residency requirements?
I grew up in Rochester (Louise Slaughter's district), went to college in Syracuse for 4 years, then moved to New England in 2001.

voytechs
03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
What are the residency requirements?
I grew up in Rochester (Louise Slaughter's district), went to college in Syracuse for 4 years, then moved to New England in 2001.

Good question. I'll try to find an answer. Have you moved back into the area?

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Good question. I'll try to find an answer. Have you moved back into the area?

No, I've been away since 2001. I could get a residency easily enough if my prior residency qualifies me for running.

Kotin
03-26-2008, 01:31 PM

yeh, i wonder where hes been...

voytechs
03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Great news. We have a candidate. I'm already working on his website right now. I'll post a link when its looking a bit better.

David is a great, very energetic guy. He helped to energize our meetup.

Cheers,
mark...

RP4EVER
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Good job

dirknb@hotmail.com
03-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Great news. We have a candidate. I'm already working on his website right now. I'll post a link when its looking a bit better.

Cheers,
mark...

Awesome.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-26-2008, 03:24 PM

Excellent!

3) were a better public-speaker.

You don't need to be a good public speaker to run for office. In fact, running for office is what will turn someone into a good public speaker. I know this from experience.

So, for anyone who is worried about that in other districts... go ahead and throw yourself into the fire. It's not as bad as you think, and you'll feel like some sort of a badass by the end of it.

adam1mc
03-26-2008, 03:26 PM

George Lilly is Repaulican who is running for Congress also...

http://www.georgelillyforcongress.com/

FireofLiberty
03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd do it if I was a couple years older and lived in NY, heh.

FireofLiberty
03-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Cheers,
mark...

Great!

Jeremy
03-26-2008, 04:57 PM

Cheers,
mark...

Need any help?

I've designed and managed websites before.

Cowlesy
03-26-2008, 05:46 PM
bump for grassroots

Andrew-Austin
03-26-2008, 05:51 PM
When did he say he would run?

voytechs
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
When did he say he would run?

Immediately. The MSM will be notified as soon as I get his website done:

http://davidgay2008.com - just started. I own the server at the colo I'm setting all this up, so this will pretty much be dedicated to his needs.

Here is the letter David sent to the local GOP:

I am writing this letter to inform the citizens of Central New York of my intention to challenge Dan Maffei for the 25th district of New York State in the U.S. House of Representatives.

I am particularly amazed that no one else in this district has stepped forward to contend for the seat on behalf of our beloved Republican Party.

Our Republican leaders should recognize the responsibility to continue serving our district's best interests on a national level.

As a true Conservative Republican voter, I will answer this call to action. I will defeat my opponent using no other guide for my campaign than the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution. In Congress I will work relentlessly in defense of our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I believe we should eliminate the income tax, stop taxing Social Security pensions, respect private property, secure our national borders, stop government spending with credit we can never afford to repay, and bring our troops home from all over the world immediately.

In Washington, I will fight to keep the government out of our wallets, our bedrooms, our telephone calls, and our daily lives.

I ask you all to support my campaign for U.S. Congress. Please help us in our efforts; together we will restore true Constitutional freedom and liberty in this great nation.

Jeremy
03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Remove that video from the site. It shows George Bush with "liar" printed on his head... pissing off Republicans isn't how you do it.

Yom
03-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Remove that video from the site. It shows George Bush with "liar" printed on his head... pissing off Republicans isn't how you do it.

Yeah, there are a lot of better videos to use.

voytechs
03-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Video is gone. I know, the content is something I threw together temporarily. I actually plan on doing a short interview with david and will post that video instead. Also a lot better pictures of David and his wife and David Jr.

Like I said, I just threw that together last night. It will all change very soon.

Ball
03-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I like the issues page for the most part, but the camera phone picture of needs to go.

He ought to have a professional profile and family portrait shot. And wear a red tie or something appropriately regal.

Jeremy
03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, like I said, I have done web design and management before so let me know if you'd like me to help