PDA

View Full Version : 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' by Edward Gibbon

Rhys
03-24-2008, 02:01 PM
This book is overtly rascist, but the best account I know of which will explain the real end game for America, not the one the bankers seek. It is not an easy read, but well worth it to understand history, knowing full well how it repeats.

JosephTheLibertarian
03-24-2008, 02:02 PM
America is definitely out of its prime.

Truth Warrior
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
The parallels with today's USA are chilling.<IMHO> I've been thinking that for some decades now.

sophocles07
03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
America is definitely out of its prime.

Indeed.

http://bblmedia.com/ugly_old_man.jpg

RSLudlum
03-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Chalmers Johnson quotes that book abit in his "Nemesis" book which I'm currently reading.

ryanmkeisling
03-24-2008, 05:35 PM
This book is overtly rascist, but the best account I know of which will explain the real end game for America, not the one the bankers seek. It is not an easy read, but well worth it to understand history, knowing full well how it repeats.

This is one heck of book to take on unless you are talking about the abridged version. The version I have is two volumes of around 800 pages each and the print is very small. This could be abridged as well, although I believe it contains most of the volumes and chapters of the original. Gibbon caught quite a bit of slack from christians and jews for the very critical chapters on religion. In fact the development of Christianity in the latter years of the empire was one his main reasons for the decline and the fall. I am a big fan of this book although it took me quite a while to get through it and digest it. I have heard that penguin published a very readable abridged version.

Rhys
03-24-2008, 06:43 PM
This is one heck of book to take on unless you are talking about the abridged version. The version I have is two volumes of around 800 pages each and the print is very small. This could be abridged as well, although I believe it contains most of the volumes and chapters of the original. Gibbon caught quite a bit of slack from christians and jews for the very critical chapters on religion. In fact the development of Christianity in the latter years of the empire was one his main reasons for the decline and the fall. I am a big fan of this book although it took me quite a while to get through it and digest it. I have heard that penguin published a very readable abridged version.

oh yeah, lol definatly abridged version. whole thing is like 6 volumes.

Bluedevil
03-24-2008, 07:06 PM
I am half way through a 1200 page version, definitely worth reading.

Shink
03-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Well, since I've heard praise for the book, could you clarify what's racist about it, exactly? Does he blame the fall of the empire on non-whites somehow or what? :confused:

Rhys
03-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Well, since I've heard praise for the book, could you clarify what's racist about it, exactly? Does he blame the fall of the empire on non-whites somehow or what? :confused:

not exactly. it was written in the context of the height of the Brittish Empire, who was very rasist. Therefor, he had no problem saying things like "the savage godless scourge" when what he meant to say was "the arabic people". It extended to every race. Very American. lol ;)

Fields
03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
My local BN has an abridged version in the bargain books section. Do you guys think I should just get that or shell out a ton of extra money for the full edition?

Rhys
03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
get it cheap. no reason to read the whole thing unless you want to write a thesis

ryanmkeisling
03-24-2008, 07:49 PM
My local BN has an abridged version in the bargain books section. Do you guys think I should just get that or shell out a ton of extra money for the full edition?

I would just buy the abridged version. The full version is an involved affair. Although I do not know the actual differences I would imagine a lot of excess verbiage has been culled. The writing style is "baroque" to say the least.