PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a delegate?

Exarel
03-24-2008, 11:56 AM
My caucus in MA is coming up in a couple of weeks. I was planning on running as a delegate, but after the recent Jesse Benton interview, i'm not sure if there is a point. Is my time better spent persuing other avenues of spreading the message instead?

Sandra
03-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Being a delegate takes some dedication to the campaign as well as the message. If you're not sure, then do something else.

wgadget
03-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Become a delegate, because this is the name of the game at this point in time. It's the only chance for an UNconventional win for Ron Paul.

If you love Ron Paul, do it.

Exarel
03-24-2008, 12:07 PM
I am certainly dedicated to the message, thats why i'm asking if this is the best way to help spread it or not. Thanks for the replies.

Phantom
03-24-2008, 12:21 PM
How to Become a Delegate to the Republican National Convention from Your State (http://www3.webng.com/ronpaul/delegatestates.html)

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
missouri today became two threads about the caucuses
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=129917
massachusetts went heavily mitt romney, and he carries
the primary. he did back mccain but this does not say that
all of his people are equally happy with this. why not go to
the caucus and play this all by ear? i trust you are a republican
party member in good standing! so... if you can get ron paul people
to go on to the national convention, then why not! especially if
mitt romney is sorta taking stock of his life and situation, now...

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
i did not vote in the Primary, and had i done so, i'd be saying
at the APRIL 5th caucus THAT i'd be voting for mitt romney on BALLOT ONE!

i am kicking myself for not gettin' to a voting booth on supertuesday!

Exarel
03-24-2008, 12:30 PM
I guess i don't understand the point of becoming a delegate if our campaign itself is saying that its a sealed deal.

libertythor
03-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Become a delegate if you can. Delegates vote on the party platform and elect party officials.

Exarel
03-24-2008, 12:34 PM
But we are "bound by law" to vote for the people that won the popular vote.

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:35 PM
all you need do is to persuade people to agree to
pick out the one or two romney or mccain delegates
in a similar manner so they can be all on on a similar
wavelenght. talk up the idea a unified delegation after
BALLOT NUMBER ONE is a way for traditional political clout!!!

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:37 PM
hopefully the bay state will also send
along Ron Paul people to st. paul!

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:39 PM
ask people to send people onto the convention who believe in the ideals of the g.o.p!
then if you are opting to be a romney person, do vote for him... ONCE! also i take it mccain
will have his people find the caucus areas. so far, mccain does not have many press releases
about which stances he has concerning the planking! i am kicking myself. i didn't vote...on supertuesday!!!

Exarel
03-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Huh?? What are you talking about.. My concern isn't how to win as a delegate, but its usefulness.

libertythor

But you still get a say in who runs the GOP and how it is run. That is extremely important.

Aratus
do feel that this guy would have wanted a more traditional party platform!
http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=L000394 and yes, i do
admit with a choise between mitt romney, john mccain and ron paul, and had he lived to
be 106 yet spry enuff to go into a polling booth, he'd have had fun voting this time!

its jfk who won his senate seat in 1952...

nbhadja
03-24-2008, 12:46 PM

You can vote to unbind yourselves like the Missouri delegates did. You can also vote to affect party platform. It is by far the best thing you can do for RP's campaign.

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
henry cabot lodge junior might have quietly voted for ron paul if voting on principle!
henry cabot lodge junior might have voted for john mccain if thinking of a nam war record!
henry cabot lodge junior might have voted for mitt romney because of how he ran our olympics!

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:54 PM
How to Become a Delegate to the Republican National Convention from Your State (http://www3.webng.com/ronpaul/delegatestates.html)

enjoy!

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.massgop.com/FlexPage.aspx?area=convention

i did not vote in the Primary !!

do go!

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Become a delegate, because this
is the name of the game at this point in time. It's the only
chance for an UNconventional win for Ron Paul.

If you love Ron Paul, do it.

its also good ol' fashion'd politics!

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Huh?? What are you talking about.. My concern isn't how to win as a delegate, but its usefulness.

it isn't useless, insted its a grassroots
affirmations of a viewpoint about life!
send a REPUBLICAN delegation to the
national convention! Ron Paul has a mesage!

i can be hot air, myself. i namedropped mr. saltonstall.
does it help if i am an extremely distant relative of senator lodge?

Aratus
03-24-2008, 01:00 PM

the BIG link!

Aratus
03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
You can vote to unbind yourselves like
the Missouri delegates did. You can also vote to affect party platform. It is
by far the best thing you can do for RP's campaign.

!!!

wgadget
03-24-2008, 01:04 PM
There is strength in NUMBERS in this game. You will be another voice of REASON. You can submit RESOLUTIONS.

And besides all that, it's painless.

wgadget
03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Apparently cadres of supporters of Ron Paul read the Missouri Republican rule book and have burrowed into the party structure from the inside at the recent county caucus meetings.

While attention on the presidential race focuses on the dueling Democrats and John McCain's travels, followers of the Texas congressman and presidential candidate have turned to winning control of state parties one by one.

Usually attended only by apparatchiks, the caucuses help set the party platform and deal with rules issues. The stuff most folks ignore. Not the Paulistas, who swarmed meetings in St. Louis, Kansas City, Springfield and elsewhere and, as the St. Louis Post-Dispatch put it, "snagged roughly a third of the 2,137 state Republican delegates."

All of which would be yawn-inducing except that, "Those delegates will determine the state GOP platform this spring and help select the presidential delegates to the national Republican presidential convention in St. Paul in September."

Also in the caucuses, the Paulistas "won approval for some of their man's key positions, including resolutions for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, and against the federal Patriot Act and warrantless wiretaps."

The biggest hit: A resolution to be taken up at the state party meeting in the spring to repeal the rule that all of Missouri's 58 delegates go to the primary winner, McCain.

"We're not holding out an illusion that Ron is going to win the nomination," said Debbie Hopper, Paul's national field director. "This is about calling the Republican Party back to its roots."

AndrewJackson
03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Becoming a delegate what we need you to do so Ron Paul can win. It is USEFUL because you'll be able to for vote Ron Paul in the second ballot at the convention.

So, become a delegate, get a resolution passed to unbind the delegates, and you'll be able to vote for Paul on the first ballot.

That's what happened in Missouri and that state is ours! Make it happen in Massachusetts!

Exarel
03-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Alright

Phantom
03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Bump!

pinkmandy
03-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Def become a delegate. We need to change the platform of the Repub party. Imagine proposing that the Repub party cannot support undeclared wars and Repub candidates must adopt that platform. Imagine voting to restore constitutional rights...there are many RP ideals that can be pushed if we can't push the man himself. :)

SilentBull
03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
My caucus in MA is coming up in a couple of weeks. I was planning on running as a delegate, but after the recent Jesse Benton interview, i'm not sure if there is a point. Is my time better spent persuing other avenues of spreading the message instead?

What district are you in? I'm planning to go to the caucus, but not to run.

wgadget
03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Becoming a delegate what we need you to do so Ron Paul can win. It is USEFUL because you'll be able to for vote Ron Paul in the second ballot at the convention.

So, become a delegate, get a resolution passed to unbind the delegates, and you'll be able to vote for Paul on the first ballot.

That's what happened in Missouri and that state is ours! Make it happen in Massachusetts!

AND, even if you can't go to the national convention, YOUR VOTE IS NEEDED TO VOTE IN A RON PAUL DELEGATE who CAN go. There are many that are your everyday Establishment variety at the local conventions. The more RPers, the better the chance of electing an RP delegate.

wgadget
03-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Someone needs to make a resolution regarding John McCain's FEC problem. See other posts.

Aratus
04-05-2008, 07:51 AM
bump... exarel?