PDA

View Full Version : US deploys nuclear sub to Persian Gulf'

Phantom
03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
US deploys nuclear sub to Persian Gulf' (http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=102736)

An American nuclear submarine has crossed the Suez Canal to join the US fleet stationed in the Persian Gulf, Egyptian sources say.

An American destroyer recently left the Persian Gulf, heading towards the Mediterranean Sea; earlier on Thursday, a US Navy rescue ship crossed the canal to enter the Red Sea.

New Governor Of Alaska
03-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Not to worry....
I believe Mother Russia sold some Shkval underwater rockets to Iran....

:)

VA-111 Shkval underwater rocket

In 1995 it was revealed that Russia had developed an exceptionally high-speed unguided underwater missile which has no equivalent in the West. Code-named the Shkval (Squall), the new weapon travels at a velocity that would give a targeted vessel very little chance to perform evasive action. The missile has been characterized as a "revenge" weapon, which would be fired along the bearing of an incoming enemy torpedo. .......

Advances in the development of jet engines and fuel technologies, as well as outstanding results in the research of body motion under cavitation made it possible to design a unique missile with a dived speed much greater than that of conventional torpedoes.

When the suction on the low-pressure side of the propeller blade dips below ambient pressure [atmospheric plus hydrostatic head] the propeller blade cavitates -- a vacuum cavity forms. There is water vapor in the cavity, and the pressure is not a true vacuum, but equal to the vapor pressure of the water. High-speed propellers are often designed to operate in a fully-cavitating (supercavitating) mode.

Apparently fired from standard 533mm torpedo tubes, Shkval has a range of about 7,500 yards. The weapon clears the tube at fifty knots, upon which its rocket fires, propelling the missile through the water at 360 kph [about 100 m/sec / 230 mph / 200-knots], three or four times as fast as conventional torpedoes. The solid-rocket propelled "torpedo" achieves high speeds by producing a high-pressure stream of bubbles from its nose and skin, which coats the torpedo in a thin layer of gas and forms a local "envelope" of supercavitating bubbles. Carrying a tactical nuclear warhead initiated by a timer, it would destroy the hostile submarine and the torpedo it fired. The Shkval high-speed underwater missile is guided by an auto-pilot rather than by a homing head as on most torpedoes.

http://www.tonyrogers.com/weapons/russian/shkval_04_560px.jpg

READ MORE - http://www.tonyrogers.com/weapons/shkval_torpedo.htm

LEK
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Not to worry....

What you say has much truth but doesn't it make you wonder why the USA would be so fool-hearty? Messing with Russia (as she is perceived) would be suicide...so what is really going on?

I truly believe the Iran thing (possible Russia involvement) will precipitate the 'surprise' needed to bring this country to the next phase of its demise.

micahnelson
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Not to worry....

I'm getting increasingly tired of your continued support of a Russian or Iranian military victory over the United States. Please, for the sake of American Freedom, find another knight on a white horse to save you. Don't oust the fascists only to embrace the communists or the theocrats with open arms.

New Governor Of Alaska
03-24-2008, 12:23 PM
What you say has much truth but doesn't it make you wonder why the USA would be so fool-hearty?

It is simple, LEK - there is not much thinking involved in US foreign policies after the break up of the Soviet Union.
Today's American leaders belive that Russia is weak, so that they (US) can do whatever they please.....

Well, someone has to teach America a lesson. And it's going to be for America's good actually.... US has to chill out a bit.

New Governor Of Alaska
03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm getting increasingly tired of your continued support of a Russian or Iranian military victory over the United States.

micahnelson, I am not preaching against the United States but against neo-cons.

micahnelson
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
micahnelson, I am not preaching against the United States but against neo-cons.

Your bold text assertion aside, if the Russians or Iranians were to sink a US Sub- would that sub be full of NeoCons?

Do you think that when the United States gets "taught a lesson" as you so innocently stated, that the lesson will be taught only to those who sought to limit the rights of free men?

I do not believe there is a brand of lunacy that would facilitate such an assumption, so I continue to wonder what "fuels your Mig" if you know what Im saying.

Phantom
03-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Iran will be ok. They have in their arsenal several Russian built Kilo-class diesel submarines that are extremely quiet and hard to find.

Remember that Chinese Song-class attack submarine that submerged near the Kitty Hawk in the East China Sea near Okinawa without being detected on 26 October 2006. The Russian built Kilo-class diesel submarine is just as stealthy.

The fifth fleet is to be the sacrificial lamb just like those who sat in their ships when Pearl Harbour was attacked.

Iran also have the sunburn missile that can take out any/all uS ships in the Gulf.

kimo
03-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Your bold text assertion aside, if the Russians or Iranians were to sink a US Sub- would that sub be full of NeoCons?

Do you think that when the United States gets "taught a lesson" as you so innocently stated, that the lesson will be taught only to those who sought to limit the rights of free men?

I do not believe there is a brand of lunacy that would facilitate such an assumption, so I continue to wonder what "fuels your Mig" if you know what Im saying.

Meanwhile you would rather , i guess, stay cool, be good..and continue preaching why did faux showed yesterday "this", when it is quite obvious that i saw that.
Yep, well done..

micahnelson
03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Meanwhile you would rather , i guess, stay cool, be good..and continue preaching why did faux showed yesterday "this", when it is quite obvious that i saw that.
Yep, well done..

My actions are irrelevant to the conversation because they do not have any bearing beyond the limited scope of my interaction with our soviet friend.

..and continue preaching why did faux showed yesterday "this", when it is quite obvious that i saw that.

This makes no sense, so I cannot comment on it. I will focus on your more coherent point.

Meanwhile you would rather , i guess, stay cool, be good..

So if i do not breathlessly anticipate a military conflict that will, without doubt, involve nuclear weapons, I am a passive supporter of American liberty? Do you think the Russians or Iranians will make anything better? I advocate we educate people about their rights, about the house of cards our economy has become, and the real threat from ignoring the constitution.

Weapons can overthrow oppressors, but no government will long respect the rights of the uneducated. The uneducated will never stand up for their own rights, because they don't realize the nature of them.

God help us if the best solution to the current political system you can think of is Global Nuclear War.

Kade
03-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Not to worry....

VA-111 Shkval underwater rocket

In 1995 it was revealed that Russia had developed an exceptionally high-speed unguided underwater missile which has no equivalent in the West. Code-named the Shkval (Squall), the new weapon travels at a velocity that would give a targeted vessel very little chance to perform evasive action. The missile has been characterized as a "revenge" weapon, which would be fired along the bearing of an incoming enemy torpedo. .......

Advances in the development of jet engines and fuel technologies, as well as outstanding results in the research of body motion under cavitation made it possible to design a unique missile with a dived speed much greater than that of conventional torpedoes.

When the suction on the low-pressure side of the propeller blade dips below ambient pressure [atmospheric plus hydrostatic head] the propeller blade cavitates -- a vacuum cavity forms. There is water vapor in the cavity, and the pressure is not a true vacuum, but equal to the vapor pressure of the water. High-speed propellers are often designed to operate in a fully-cavitating (supercavitating) mode.

Apparently fired from standard 533mm torpedo tubes, Shkval has a range of about 7,500 yards. The weapon clears the tube at fifty knots, upon which its rocket fires, propelling the missile through the water at 360 kph [about 100 m/sec / 230 mph / 200-knots], three or four times as fast as conventional torpedoes. The solid-rocket propelled "torpedo" achieves high speeds by producing a high-pressure stream of bubbles from its nose and skin, which coats the torpedo in a thin layer of gas and forms a local "envelope" of supercavitating bubbles. Carrying a tactical nuclear warhead initiated by a timer, it would destroy the hostile submarine and the torpedo it fired. The Shkval high-speed underwater missile is guided by an auto-pilot rather than by a homing head as on most torpedoes.

http://www.tonyrogers.com/weapons/russian/shkval_04_560px.jpg

The reason I am against a war, is because I am heavily against the loss of life. I love my country, regardless of how angry it's government makes me. I'm against the associating love of country with love of government, something that the Patriot Act does, something the original Alien and Sedition Acts did... You cannot force patriotism by it's nature... it is like an emotional bond with your country, one that comes from the realization of pride that you have for it... like when I a modern factory and how easily everything looks, the design and engineering flawless.... When I see the U.S.S. Constitution down the street, when I read Washington's Touro Synagogue letter. When I see pictures of American Troops helping a sick child.

I'm not a patriot because of my prime for this country. I am a patriot because of my knowledge of this country. I am an informed and active citizen. I hold strong convictions that I am allowed to have because this country's foundation was first and foremost, liberty.

You have failed in two aspects here... you seem to be cheerleading a potential defeat of our forces, and you are touting a weapon that is wholly unsuitable for that end.

The Shkval is a fast reaction torpedo, but it's payload and delivery mechanism are simply too cumbersome. It's accuracy is very questionable, and I assure you that our naval research is very well aware of the design and capabilities of such a weapon. The Iranians use supercavitation with the "Hoot". There is no point in bragging about this, if Iran was actually able to swim about with that pathetic excuse for a submarine, the Ghadir:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Ghadir_Submarine.jpg

Supercavitation is nice in theory, but it requires the ability to actually launch.
Trust me my friend, that H. L. Hunley of the Iranian military is not going to have a chance to contemplate their condition after a nice Mark 46 mod 5 to the hull. This hit is not going to be from another submarine.
Say hello to your tugboats worst nightmare:

http://www.navalhelicopterassn.org/Index%20of%20Photographs/Seahawk%20R%20gallery/1st%20ALFS%20dip%20from%20MH-60R.jpg

Not to mention our military prowess of conventional acoustics science.

Chill.

New Governor Of Alaska
03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
.......if the Russians or Iranians were to sink a US Sub- would that sub be full of NeoCons?

Just to answer your question, micahnelson - NO, there won't be any neo-cons in that sub. The neo-cons are hiding in Washington DC....

Your question, micahnelson, can be logical only if US nuclear sub to be deployed to the Gulf of Mexico...
It is clear that only the US Military Industrial Complex will benifit from an incident.

Yesterday there was an "attack" in Tonkin Gulf. Today they manipulate events in the Persian Gulf....
Don't let history repeat itself....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/asia_pac/05/vietnam_war/img/maps/2.gif

"American Planes Hit North Vietnam After Second Attack on Our Destroyers; Move Taken to Halt New Aggression", announced a Washington Post headline on Aug. 5, 1964.

That same day, the front page of the New York Times reported: "President Johnson has ordered retaliatory action against gunboats and 'certain supporting facilities in North Vietnam' after renewed attacks against American destroyers in the Gulf of Tonkin."

But there was no "second attack" by North Vietnam — no "renewed attacks against American destroyers." By reporting official claims as absolute truths, American journalism opened the floodgates for the bloody Vietnam War.
One of the Navy pilots flying overhead that night was squadron commander James Stockdale, who gained fame later as a POW and then Ross Perot's vice presidential candidate. "I had the best seat in the house to watch that event," recalled Stockdale a few years ago, "and our destroyers were just shooting at phantom targets — there were no PT boats there.... There was nothing there but black water and American fire power."
In 1965, Lyndon Johnson commented: "For all I know, our Navy was shooting at whales out there."

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2261

kimo
03-24-2008, 01:00 PM
God help us if the best solution to the current political system you can think of is Global Nuclear War.

I wrote my thoughts already yesterday about this, if you ask my opinion.
It is becoming a FACT that this administration, with it`s shizoid foreign policy pushing for it.
Remember, only "them" will be safe, but NO ONE of us, and even God will not help us all, if we on our way to face more madnesses.

seapilot
03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
The sub only goes where its commanders tell it to. Persian gulf is ridiculous and its only inviting a strike, then we are told to retaliate in self defense.

With ICBMs (Intercontiental balistic missles) putting a sub in the persian gulf makes no sense. The whole point of a subs purpose is for surprise attack.

All the chicken hawks can hide in thier bunkers under washington D.C. Doesnt it make one sick to know that in a nuclear war , those directly resposible for initiating it will be the only ones that are protected and come out surviving it?

kimo
03-24-2008, 01:28 PM
The sub only goes where its commanders tell it to. Persian gulf is ridiculous and its only inviting a strike, then we are told to retaliate in self defense.

With ICBMs (Intercontiental balistic missles) putting a sub in the persian gulf makes no sense. The whole point of a subs purpose is for surprise attack.

All the chicken hawks can hide in thier bunkers under washington D.C. Doesnt it make one sick to know that in a nuclear war , those directly resposible for initiating it will be the only ones that are protected and come out surviving it?

Exactly. Thank You.

Give me liberty
03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm getting increasingly tired of your continued support of a Russian or Iranian military victory over the United States. Please, for the sake of American Freedom, find another knight on a white horse to save you. Don't oust the fascists only to embrace the communists or the theocrats with open arms.

And i am getting tired of pro Albanian stories and pro AMERICAN news stories

not mention America is behind the new world order did you forget that already?

Zippyjuan
03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Can we trust the original post? The source appears to be from the Iranian news agency and was not picked up (that I can find) by any major news sources. And why would they use the Suez Canal when better and safer passage would be thorugh the Strait of Hormuz. The canal can be pretty congested with traffic.

kimo
03-24-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.thesubreport.com/
------------------------------------------------------
"old news", but still could be interesting:

Basically every major naval platform you would want at sea in the 7th Fleet theater is at sea right now, and there are reserves on the way, and if you come across the Pacific back to the west coast, there will be even more major reserve forces at sea, and I'm not even going to count the Peleliu ESG. The Navy has intentionally not identified by name forward deployed naval forces at sea, so we will list them as 1 CV, 1 LHD, 1 LPD, 1 LSD, 2 CGs, and at least 5 DDGs currently operating at sea. We have also counted at least 5 submarines, including the USS Ohio (SSGN 726) currently on deployment in the Pacific. Additionally the following organized strike groups are at sea.

Nimitz Carrier Strike Group

USS Nimitz (CVN 68)
USS Princeton (CG 59)
USS John Paul Jones (DDG 53)
USS Higgins (DDG 76)
USS Chafee (DDG 90)

Recently deployed near Pearl Harbor:

Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group

USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72)
USS Mobile Bay (CG 53)
USS Russell (DDG 59)
USS Shoup (DDG 86)
USS Momsen (DDG 92)
USS Curts (FFG 38)

Additionally the Reagan CSG is at sea and will be conducting Composite Unit Training Exercise (COMPTUEX) and a Joint Task Force Exercise (JTFEX) off the coast of Southern California March 18 to April 7 and April 11-18.

Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76)
USS Chancellorsville (CG 62)
USS Decatur (DDG 73)
USS Howard (DDG 83)
USS Gridley (DDG 101)
USS Thach (FFG 43)

We are aware of other ships that are or will be at sea during this time period, but such operations are commonplace and not quite as organized as what we are seeing from the 4 CSGs in the Pacific.

btw. "taiwan story"
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN1934158120080319

and etc etc..

..PAUL4PRES..
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
And i am getting tired of pro Albanian stories and pro AMERICAN news stories

not mention America is behind the new world order did you forget that already?

It is not America that is behind it, its our government. Please to not bash my beloved country. :mad:

Give me liberty
03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
It is not America that is behind it, its our government. Please to not bash my beloved country. :mad:

I am sorry, my bad your right your government.

Carole
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
"I'm getting increasingly tired of your continued support of a Russian or Iranian military victory over the United States. Please, for the sake of American Freedom, find another knight on a white horse to save you. Don't oust the fascists only to embrace the communists or the theocrats with open arms."

Frankly, my philosophy is that one should reap the natural consequences of his own irrational and bad behavior. Period. :)

ghemminger
03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
USA! USA! USA! Nuke the whole middle East! (sarcasm)