PDA

View Full Version : RP Delegate Count up by 7%

bobbyw24
03-24-2008, 05:52 AM
http://www.nolanchart.com/article3261.html

Another One for Ron Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Paul's delegate count increases by a whopping seven per cent as stealth delegate commits to libertarian cause.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Random Outlier
(Libertarian)
Sound the trumpets, beat the drums, another GOP convention delegate committed to Ron Paul lurks.

Your obedient and faithful servant has just heard from a lifelong friend, a veteran political staffer and activist devoted since the dark ages of Nixon to transforming the Republican Party into a tool for the advance of liberty.

He reports to me that by a strange set of circumstances he has been named a 2008 delegate. His selection results from his association with a GOP unit years ago.

Despite the hideous expense of five days in the Twin Cities, he has accepted. Not even the prospect of rubbing elbows et al. with ten thousand Republican women, they of the iron corsets and varnished hair, dissuades him.

This guy is okay, even though he read his Cervantes at an age too impressionable and is known to annoy companions with frequent outbursts of "The Impossible Dream."

Jack Jones he isn't, but he's a truthful man, and I, his amanuensis for the present purpose, swear to the truth of this reporting, except for his real identity which I am sworn to protect. Readability requires a nom de guerre here, and I suppose Reardon is as appropriate as any.

-----

"My first reaction (Reardon writes) was amazement. I assumed my contributions to this outfit were long forgotten, and, in any case, too modest to justify anything like this opportunity.

"But I accepted, even knowing the brutal tyranny of Chase Manhattan, the thieves who grant me use of plastic, and the Minnesota merchants singlemindedly pursuing the goal of bankrupting me in five short September days. I did it for one reason only. To cast a convention ballot for Ron Paul.

"This will not be my first national convention, though I attended the others as either a staff person or as a reporter. I'd assumed and perhaps even hoped that I would never attend another. Aside from the expense, I generally tend to avoid groups of more than fifty thousand persons.

"But anything for Dr. Paul, even though as a committed libertarian capitalist I wonder what the good congressman will do for me in return for increasing his pledged delegate strength by a whopping seven-point-one per cent.

"I ask for nothing strictly personal, and I would be content if the Ron Paul campaign rewarded me with a small but professional presence. A headquarters. A hospitality suite even if it must include a cash bar. An event or two at which we lonesome Paulites might mingle with others. Surely among the fifteen of us there are one or two with enough personal charm to persuade a few others to abandon the lesser-of-evils approach.

"If Paul forces kiss off the St. Paul affair with a desultory effort, if they attend mopingly resentful that the process has done them wrong, it will validate the position of our detractors. They will be correct in viewing us as a mob of wild-eyed utopians devoid of any sense of practical politics. That would not be good for the future of the movement.

"And it would piss me off."

--------

Thus spoke my friend Reardon.

It set me to wondering if Nolan Chart readers happen to include any of the other fourteen delegates putatively pledged to Dr. Paul, not to mention any Paul staffers who might be assigned to the convention on his behalf.

If so, Nolan Chart might be a good place to get a dialog started. The general question: What, actually, do we DO in St. Paul?

I mean, a guy can spend only so much time hanging around coffee houses where they garnish the six-buck lattes with lutefisk.

Did you like this article?
If you did, Thumb It!
24 thumbs so far

AndrewJackson
03-24-2008, 12:59 PM
We fire bomb liek Charizard. We have to get Ron Paul people in as delegates before the national convention. Lots of states still have state conventions in May or June so we should be worried about that.

Jaykzo
03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Why all the Timothy McViegh love? :confused:

GoldStan
03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Actual delegate count (from a non-raving website):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/republican_delegate_count.html

If it varies from that by even +/-1% I will be stunned. Dr. Paul would need 85 times the current delegates to actually be nominated (which of course assumes that *somehow* the GOP leadership simply stands there watching without taking action to stop faithless delegates AND that the American public who overwhelmingly didn't vote with us accepts utter hijacking of the process).

So yeah I can see where the rantings on the guy in the "article" matter.

torchbearer
03-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Actual delegate count (from a non-raving website):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/republican_delegate_count.html

If it varies from that by even +/-1% I will be stunned. Dr. Paul would need 85 times the current delegates to actually be nominated (which of course assumes that *somehow* the GOP leadership simply stands there watching without taking action to stop faithless delegates AND that the American public who overwhelmingly didn't vote with us accepts utter hijacking of the process).

So yeah I can see where the rantings on the guy in the "article" matter.

Just in defense of Paul's percentages..... you said the majority of americans didn't vote for him, that's not true. the majority of americans didn't even vote, nor could tell you much about who was running...
So i wouldn't take those percentages for McCain as a GOP mandate.

GoldStan
03-25-2008, 05:37 PM
So you are saying that we should instead count on the masses who didn't vote in the primaries to suddenly rise up out of nowhere to defeat the political will of those who already overcame their apathy and did vote?

I hope you don't rely on that sort of magic thinking for your own campaign because they have a word for "guy who relies on the non-voter vote" and that word is : Loser.

torchbearer
03-25-2008, 05:48 PM
So you are saying that we should instead count on the masses who didn't vote in the primaries to suddenly rise up out of nowhere to defeat the political will of those who already overcame their apathy and did vote?

I hope you don't rely on that sort of magic thinking for your own campaign because they have a word for "guy who relies on the non-voter vote" and that word is : Loser.

where did all that come from? i just stated that the majority of americans didn't vote at all, so the majority of americans couldn't have voted for anyone.

Missouri is an example of our small hope.... and to understand most of the sheep who will be showing up to the RNC to robotically vote for McCain are just that... sheep, and if enough shepards are there... it only takes a few sheeps heads to turn the other way before they all do it enmass, most not even knowing why they did it, just saw everyone else starting to do it.
We can use the herd mentality against them, we bring our farm dogs and round them up.
We make sure we are having the best time at the convention, it will burn the McCain people... and that will make them look bad and turn people away.
We decend on St. Paul with all our best talkers...movers and shakers... the guys and gals who are organizing and speaking at these D.C. rallies...
You don't give up. Regardless.

SL89
03-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Kudos Torch!

torchbearer
03-25-2008, 06:45 PM
thanks.

torchbearer
03-26-2008, 01:58 PM
//

rmholla
03-28-2008, 07:08 PM
There is still time for ANYTHING to happen. Until the vote on the convention floor, I will still have hope that delegates will "wake up" and see that McCain isn't worthy of their votes.

-

GoldStan
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
There is still time for ANYTHING to happen. Until the vote on the convention floor, I will still have hope that delegates will "wake up" and see that McCain isn't worthy of their votes.

-

You had better also hope that the Republican leadership somehow sleeps through a "delegate revolt" and that the american voter also doesn't care that their primary vote is longer to be counted.

torchbearer
03-31-2008, 02:02 PM
You had better also hope that the Republican leadership somehow sleeps through a "delegate revolt" and that the american voter also doesn't care that their primary vote is longer to be counted.

The average person didn't care in Louisiana, nor do the follow or understand the process.
Huckabee won the popular primary vote.
Ron Paul won the caucus votes.
McCain came away with the delegates, granted they are under review and probably won't be given credentials.

Point is... people's votes aren't counting anyway.
And I don't see a bunch of passionate McCain die-hard loyalist running around.
So I don't see a problem with winning by the rules.

torchbearer
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Um, did you know Ron got 24 national delegates from South Dakota?
http://www.southdakotagop.com/News/Read.aspx?ID=7369

123tim
03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
The average person didn't care in Louisiana, nor do the follow or understand the process.
Huckabee won the popular primary vote.
Ron Paul won the caucus votes.
McCain came away with the delegates, granted they are under review and probably won't be given credentials.

Point is... people's votes aren't counting anyway.
And I don't see a bunch of passionate McCain die-hard loyalist running around.
So I don't see a problem with winning by the rules.

Torchbearer,

After all of this time, I still don't understand what happened (is happening) in LA. I would check for new information everyday and nothing seemed to happen. Will there ever be a definitive, decisive answer to what has happened?

I really don't understand how McCain won those votes when it seemed that he ran as part of the Pro life/Pro family group.

Would it be much trouble to explain how he got those votes?