PDA

View Full Version : favorite quotes?

JosephTheLibertarian
03-23-2008, 10:40 PM
What are your favorite quotes?

I'll share with you mine. ;)

*move the thread if it's in the wrong section*

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul. – George Bernard Shaw

America needs fewer laws, not more prisons. – James Bovard

War is just one more big government program. – Joseph Sobran

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. – John Adams (1814)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. – Benjamin Franklin

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation. – Thomas B. Reed (1886)

If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all. – Jacob Hornberger (1995)

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates. – Tacitus

Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. – George Washington

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session. – Mark Twain (1866)

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him. – Robert Heinlein

The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients. – Edmund Burke (1899)

Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. – Thomas Jefferson

The triumph of persuasion over force is the sign of a civilized society. – Mark Skousen

pretty much every quote on http://www.lpboulder.com/quotes/ lol

nate895
03-23-2008, 11:13 PM
See my sig.

The One
03-23-2008, 11:14 PM
He who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.--Thomas Jefferson

Kotin
03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed."

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

-Barry Goldwater

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

-Edmund Burke

"At what point, then, is the approach of danger to be expected? "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

-Abraham Lincoln

"If you think of yourselves as helpless and ineffectual, it is certain that you will create a despotic government to be your master. The wise despot, therefore, maintains among his subjects a popular sense that they are helpless and ineffectual."

"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."

“The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria”

-Frank Herbert

IPSecure
03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Only Those Who Risk Going Too Far, Can Possible Find How Far They Can Go. - Thomas Stearns Eliot

Too bad the Federalists follow this too closely...

dirknb@hotmail.com
03-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I made a list of quotes on my website, it's too long to paste in here:

http://www.adventureclubsa.com/ClubPortal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=204&pubmenuoptID=16709

weslinder
03-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I've been reading a lot about Davy Crockett lately. Here's some good stuff:

"Some large dogs I have seen here with their collers on with letters engraved on the coller "My dog" - and the man's name on the Coller. I have not got a coller round my neck marked my dogn with the name of Andrew Jackson on it - because I would not take the coller round my nick I was herld from their party."

"We have the right as individuals to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right to appropriate a dollar of the public money"

"I would rather be beaton and be a man than to be elected and be a little puppy dog. I have always supported measures and principles and not men. I have acted fearless and independent and I never will regret my course. I would rather be politically buried that to be hypochriticalley immortalized."

"Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."

acptulsa
03-24-2008, 09:25 AM
One of the hardest parts of my job is to link Saddam Hussein and September 11. George W. Bush

Have you no decency, sir? Have you no shame? Edward R. Murrow

familydog
04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
bump.

"Gentlemen, I maintain that missionaries constitute a perpetual menace to peace. The sons-of-bitches never give up. I know. My sister Almeda's somewhere in Africa saving souls. If mankind's lucky, she'll be boiled in a pot and eaten."
-Ambrose Bierce

yongrel
04-02-2008, 06:58 PM
To live under the American Constitution is the greatest political privilege that was ever accorded to the human race.
-Calvin Coolidge

Nirvikalpa
04-02-2008, 07:28 PM
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - No one really knows who...

Perry
04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
-If Fascism Comes to America, It Will Be Wrapped in the Flag, Carrying the Cross.
`Unknown

menoname
04-02-2008, 07:33 PM
An idea without a plan is nothing more than a slogan.

american.swan
04-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Education?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=129071

axiomata
05-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Found this one I thought I'd share:

"There is nothing more common, than to confound the terms of American Revolution with those of the late American war. The American war is over: but this is far from being the case with the American revolution. On the contrary, nothing but the first act of the great drama is dosed. It remains yet to establish and perfect our new forms of government; and to prepare the principles, morals, and manners of our citizens, for these forms of government, after they are established and brought to perfection . . . Patriots of 1774, 1775, 1776---heroes of 1778, 1779, 1780! come forward! your country demands your services!--Philosophers and friends to mankind, come forward! your country demands your studies and speculations! Lovers of peace and order, who declined taking part in the late war, come forward! your country forgives your timidity and demands your influence and advice! Hear her proclaiming, in sighs and groans, in her governments, in her finances, in her trade, in her manufactures, in her morals, and in her manners, 'THE REVOLUTION IS NOT OVER '"

- from a 1787 address to the American people by Dr. Benjamin Rush, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence