PDA

View Full Version : The McCain appeal

uncollapse
03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
http://blogs4mccain.com/2008/03/03/the-independent-appeal-of-john-mccain/

Despite the rants of some conservative radio commentators, the appeal that Senator McCain has to Independents isn’t that ‘he’s a liberal’, it’s that he’s principled. He gets things done. One reason I think conservative radio has become so mad isn’t because they disagree with him on issues, it’s because he has repeatedly stated that he won’t bash or belittle his political opponents. This is conservative radio’s forte, and Senator McCain’s approach may be seen as a threat. However, to many Independents it’s music to our ears. There are plenty of people left, right, and center that are simply sick of the bickering. There’s plenty to discuss and debate with out lowering the level of discourse to that of a junior high argument. The other aspect that angers some conservatives is that he not only opposed them on certain positions, but he headed up the legislation for those contrary views. As an Independent I see this as a positive. He knows how to reach across the isle, and he’s a worker. He doesn’t just sit on his hands and say ‘well they don’t completely agree with me therefore I’ll do nothing’. Good Senators have to compromise otherwise there’s gridlock, and Senator McCain is a good Senator. There’s also an appeal to this because it shows that his loyalty to his beliefs and the American people takes precedence to party loyalty. Some party people may not like that, but that is sorely needed in politics right now.

Now the reason I think he’ll win the race in November is issues and content. First Iraq and foreign policy: he knows more about war and foreign policy issues than any other candidate by miles. He was right about Iraq and staked his career on his support of the surge when it was very unpopular to do so. He knows the political players around the world, he’s been there he’s talked to many of them, and he simply knows his stuff. The Democrats really can’t hold a candle to him in this area. Even though the supposition is that the Iraq War is unpopular therefore the Democrats win, if people come to this election with an open mind he wins those open-minded people in a landslide. Second, he has an excellent human rights record. He addressed the situation with the monks in Burma, the genocide in Darfur, protection of children from online predators, opposed torture, and whenever an issue of human rights comes up Senator McCain is there front and center. This is an area I hope the campaign plays up more, because conventional thinking may give Democrats the edge on human rights, but the conventional wisdom is wrong. Finally, there’s experience. (I’ll skip health care and taxes for the sake of brevity.) Senator McCain is simply far more qualified to be president. He’s applying for the hardest job on earth, and it’s not an entry-level position. Experience matters, and he’s the guy who has it. He’s one of the most qualified candidates that the country has seen in years, and I look forward to the debates.

What do you think? Any bit of truth?

mrchubbs
03-23-2008, 11:07 PM

Perhaps...

The author contradicts himself within the space of a single paragraph twice.

He states that McCain is "principled"... then later says he "compromises". To me these are opposites.

Then he does it again in the space of 2 sentences..... "good senators have to compromise..." then "it shows a loyalty to his beliefs." How does that show loyalty to one's beliefs?

John McCain is a flip flopper but no one in the media seems to realize it. He's a chameleon.

1 - Voted against the Bush Tax cuts... now is for making them permanent.
2 - Was for Bush's immigration (amnesty) bill, now opposes it.
3 - Spoke out against water boarding as torture, voted against banning it.
4 - When he was a "foot soldier during the Reagan revolution" he spoke out against Reagan going into Lebanon (he sounded like Ron Paul on non-intervention). In 1998 he criticized Clinton for not using enough force in Kosovo.
5 - He flip-flopped on his first marriage, marrying someone 17 years younger who's father financed his first congressional campaign when he had nowhere else to go career-wise. (oh and he married her 1 month after getting a divorce from his first wife).

He's a typical politician that we've all come to know and love. Nothing more. He's an opportunist: a good one. It is my belief he speaks out against the grain at times JUST for attention and media coverage. It has helped him politically his entire time in office...

Well this is getting a little long... but for my own "treatise" on McCain... see this article (complete with supporting source links for the information):

http://www.libertymaven.com/2008/03/10/john-mccain-the-chameleon/955/

Enjoy.

Paulitician
03-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Who cares?

AJ Antimony
03-23-2008, 11:38 PM

Despite the rants of some conservative radio commentators, the appeal that Senator McCain has to Independents isn’t that ‘he’s a liberal’, it’s that he’s principled. He gets things done. One reason I think conservative radio has become so mad isn’t because they disagree with him on issues, it’s because he has repeatedly stated that he won’t bash or belittle his political opponents. This is conservative radio’s forte, and Senator McCain’s approach may be seen as a threat. However, to many Independents it’s music to our ears. There are plenty of people left, right, and center that are simply sick of the bickering. There’s plenty to discuss and debate with out lowering the level of discourse to that of a junior high argument. The other aspect that angers some conservatives is that he not only opposed them on certain positions, but he headed up the legislation for those contrary views. As an Independent I see this as a positive. He knows how to reach across the isle, and he’s a worker. He doesn’t just sit on his hands and say ‘well they don’t completely agree with me therefore I’ll do nothing’. Good Senators have to compromise otherwise there’s gridlock, and Senator McCain is a good Senator. There’s also an appeal to this because it shows that his loyalty to his beliefs and the American people takes precedence to party loyalty. Some party people may not like that, but that is sorely needed in politics right now.

Now the reason I think he’ll win the race in November is issues and content. First Iraq and foreign policy: he knows more about war and foreign policy issues than any other candidate by miles. He was right about Iraq and staked his career on his support of the surge when it was very unpopular to do so. He knows the political players around the world, he’s been there he’s talked to many of them, and he simply knows his stuff. The Democrats really can’t hold a candle to him in this area. Even though the supposition is that the Iraq War is unpopular therefore the Democrats win, if people come to this election with an open mind he wins those open-minded people in a landslide. Second, he has an excellent human rights record. He addressed the situation with the monks in Burma, the genocide in Darfur, protection of children from online predators, opposed torture, and whenever an issue of human rights comes up Senator McCain is there front and center. This is an area I hope the campaign plays up more, because conventional thinking may give Democrats the edge on human rights, but the conventional wisdom is wrong. Finally, there’s experience. (I’ll skip health care and taxes for the sake of brevity.) Senator McCain is simply far more qualified to be president. He’s applying for the hardest job on earth, and it’s not an entry-level position. Experience matters, and he’s the guy who has it. He’s one of the most qualified candidates that the country has seen in years, and I look forward to the debates.

I stopped reading at the bolded part because he loses any credibility by directly quoting what the media says on TV.

mrchubbs
03-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I stopped reading at the bolded part because he loses any credibility by directly quoting what the media says on TV.

And I wonder what Island he is talking about. :D

"Isle"

AJ Antimony
03-24-2008, 12:16 AM
And I wonder what Island he is talking about. :D

"Isle"

Hahaha good call I didn't notice that :o

acptulsa
03-24-2008, 06:34 AM
The guy can reach across the aisle, but that doesn't make him all grown up in debate--he curses like a sailor right on the Senate floor, usually hurling the invective at his own "team members". He claims regularly to have the foreign policy knowledge and experience, but then can't name the nation that Vladimir Putin was head of and misidentifies Al Qaida's sect. And he openly admits he's no economist (after having been forced to by Dr. Paul).

These are qualifications?

Feelgood
03-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Complete load of crap, start to finish. Wasnt even worth posting... :rolleyes:

pcosmar
03-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Damn man, I am trying to eat breakfast here.
YUCK. :(

Phantom
03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.rense.com/1.imagesH/cain_dess.jpg

azminuteman
03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I live in Arizona and McCain is simply McCan't.

This "He gets things done." is far from the truth.

If there is an immigration problem, he hasn't done crap to fix it and-
for his 'amnesty' package, he hasn't done anything there either.

He is against 'pork spending' yet lets OUR state money go elsewhere.

I see him as a sorry POW that surrendered and was willing to sell out to get himself to a better place; kind of like what he is trying to do now.
Since when did McCain become Jewish?

MikeStanart
03-24-2008, 11:28 AM
http://www.rense.com/1.imagesH/cain_dess.jpg

Uhmm... i'm 99.9% that's fake.

Phantom
03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
The star is fake MikeStanart but not the kippah/yarmulke. Here is a picture of him playing with it. Besides, that image is published in the Telegraph.

http://media.modbee.com/smedia/2008/03/19/03/532MIDEAST_ISRAEL_MCCAIN_WELCOME.sff.embedded.prod _affiliate.11.jpg

WarningSLO
03-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Ahh, the McCain Appeal.

My parents have fallen for it.

It's the "Maverick" element that the media has created. They think that because he strays from the conservative base that it shows that he sticks to his own beliefs.

I've tried to explain to them his flip-flopping, privileged life, and lack of economic understanding, but they think that is just media mudslinging.

They are your typical republicans who are fed up with Bush and think they are ready for some change. It's too bad they don't realize that McCain will be just as bad, if not worse, than Bush.

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:01 PM

interesting first paragraph.

Henry Clay had principles.
Abe Lincoln began his political
life admiring Henry Clay. the
fellow who was quite a politician prior
to our Civil War was known for
having a hand in two historic
compromises. he may have delayed
a deepening national tragedy...

do not totally cuss out the thought
about having a political compromise or
a bi-partisan political compromise yet do
ask what plan "B" would have been like!

Aratus
03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
heck, of course mccain in jerusalem has on his head a yamaka.
this is TRES like obama in a white head dress when in africa in 2oo6...