PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Progressive May Win Governorship

dirtyp
03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Vermont Progressive May Win Governorship

Vermont Progressive Party leader Anthony Pollina formally announced his gubernatorial candidacy on March 13. Pollina is very well known in Vermont and conceivably may be elected.

Pollina founded Rural Vermont in 1985, to work for a more favorable tax structure for farmers. In 1986 he successfully persuaded the legislature to label dairy products which used bovine growth hormone. In 1991 he became Policy Advisor to Independent Congressman Bernie Sanders. In 1996 he became Director of Vermont Public Interest Research Group (PIRG).

Although the Progressive Party elected candidates to the state legislature in the 1990’s, it had never run any statewide nominees until 2000, because it didn’t want it to be forced to nominate by primary (which would happen, once it polled 5% in any statewide race). However, the party changed its policy in 2000, and ran Pollina for Governor. He polled 9.59%. Despite that large share of the vote, Democratic nominee Howard Dean was re-elected.

In 2002 Pollina was the party’s candidate for Lieutenant Governor. This time he polled 24.76%. Not surprisingly, he “spoiled” the chances of the Democratic nominee, and the Republican nominee was elected with only 41.2% of the vote. This result increased interest in Instant-Runoff Voting in Vermont.
http://waronyou.blogspot.com/2008/03/vermont-progressive-may-win.html

Jeremy
03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Isn't progressive what liberals call themselves these days?

LibertiORDeth
03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Isn't progressive what liberals call themselves these days?

I think so.

tajitj
03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
To me I believe we need progressive Governors. They should want to solve problems at the state, not the federal government. To be progressive at the state level is different from federal. Does that make sense to anyone.
Take the issue of healthcare. I would rather have each state want to provide insurance than the federal government.
Is that logical to others or am I way off? I guess we would have to see what his positions on the issures are and to realize they are state issues not Federal.

LibertiORDeth
03-23-2008, 09:23 PM
To me I believe we need progressive Governors. They should want to solve problems at the state, not the federal government. To be progressive at the state level is different from federal. Does that make sense to anyone.
Take the issue of healthcare. I would rather have each state want to provide insurance than the federal government.
Is that logical to others or am I way off? I guess we would have to see what his positions on the issures are and to realize they are state issues not Federal.

I don't think government health care should be given on a federal OR local level.

JosephTheLibertarian
03-23-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't think government health care should be given on a federal OR local level.

I agree. My health care policy is: go out and get it