PDA

View Full Version : Training with BB/airsoft replicas?

1000-points-of-fright
03-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Anybody here practice at home with a bb or airsoft replica of their carry gun? I have neither the time nor money to get to the range as often as I would like and this seems like a fast and inexpensive way to practice a lot more without leaving the house or having to clean my guns after every session.

I've been researching on the web and found that Walther makes a CO2 BB version of the PPK/S (my carry gun) that weighs about the same, has blowback action and, from what I've read, has about the same recoil of a P22. Only $70.

FreeTraveler
03-23-2008, 06:21 PM
I picked up a Daisy 15XT, sort of a replica 1911. I'm traveling full-time now, so it's handy to have a place to shoot at most campgrounds, instead of having to go find a range, if there's one around. It helps with parts of the scenario, but it does not completely replace plenty of practice with your carry weapon.

I turned a two-bottle cardboard liquor carry case from a cruise into a target holder. I put a few towels inside when I shoot, and recycle my bbs.

It's not blowback, which I prefer for target work. 475 fps is pretty quick for a bb. $29 at Wally World. CO2 carts last about 75-80 shots. It's very practical to shoot and keep costs around 3/4 cent per shot. Try that even with .22 rimfire. It's the cheapest practice you'll find.

http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/9511/2228654170100527759S425x425Q85.jpg

pcosmar
03-23-2008, 06:39 PM
In Michigan they are classed as a firearm, so I can not.
Possession would be another felony for me.

MCL 28.421 Although, there is an occasional misconception that pellet pistols only require registration if they are over .177 caliber, that caliber designation only applies to guns made exclusively for propelling BB's. A pellet pistol, does fall under the definition of a firearm, and is subject to all License to Purchase, Safety Inspection Certificate and Concealed Pistol License requirements.

Doktor_Jeep
03-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Ahhhh Airsoft!

yes indeed these things are excellent and cheap for Force on Force training. We have had a few threads on that at AWRM.ORG actually.

Some years back, the replicas that mirrored the real deal and had select or automatic fire were expensive. I still have the Special Weapons MP-5 that cost $360 back in 2003. But now you can get an RC battery powered unit that is not as good looking or having a metal body, but functions roughly the same, for $50!

The high-end airsoft guns are not necessary for the training.

In Airsoft there are two type of gun. The electric and the gas powered. I also have a gas powered MAC-10 knockoff with a moving bolt and one heck of a rate of fire. I once cleared a hallway with it in an airsoft match. The battery powered gun, called an AEG, is easier to maintain and all you need is your charger and the BBs.

The best parts of airsoft would be the cost and the comparison to the real weaponry. If you get a high end gun, you might be able to use the same accessories and attachments as on your real gun, therefore it's good for training. Also, you save $$ on the BBs. Not all BBs are the same, you have to use a recommended weight and frankly the really cheap ones you can get at wally world will choke a good airsoft gun.

Downsides? Indeed.

There is no penetration with these things and thus the awareness, or the ability to train to know the difference of, cover versus concealment is lost. I have seen people use a balsa wood door for cover in airsoft matches and that can be quite the fatal habit. Bullets will go through things you would never expect them to go through. Cover and concealment are two things entirely.

The other downide is obvious. You never know if you hit your target. This is closer to the real world actually because most gunshot wounds do not spray blood and stuff all over the place like on TV - unless the caliber is huge or the bullet is a nasty sort. So many times in airsoft it's an honor-system where those who get hit have to be honest about it and lay down.

1000-points-of-fright
03-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys. I just want to use it to get more target practice and better trigger control. Basic technique stuff.

FreeTraveler
03-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys. I just want to use it to get more target practice and better trigger control. Basic technique stuff.

That's exactly what I use mine for.

Sharpstick
03-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Some of the top IPSC shooters live in countries where handguns are illegal, they practice in there country year round with airsoft and come over here to shoot matches with live weapons. Prior to a match they will come here and practice some with a real weapon but the time it takes to get adjusted to the live weapon is much shorter.

If the people are not airsoft kids and use the weapons as a training aid and not a game they can be very effective.

sfws09
03-24-2008, 10:31 AM
i have been looking into getting a .22 conversion kit for my G23. it is about $250. i could get a new .22 for that BUT this way i can use the SAME gun with same sites same trigger pull.....

a box of .22 LR of 550 for $30 is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than a box of .40 of 100 for $20.

Doktor_Jeep
03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Save that .22 brass and there are dies out there with which you can make them into jackets for .223 bullets.