PDA

View Full Version : Did Gigaplex's 10K+ DVD drop help in Iowa?

Bryan
08-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Short answer: You bet. This is based on spending a week in Iowa campaigning as we happen to run into Iowans who got the DVD, some who never heard of him before that and now had a very favorable opinion. So great job to all who contributed.

One other thing- we talked to people on the receiving end of the "Write Iowa" program as well, it certainly helped too. We talked to one lady who said she received four letters- I couldn't verify if there were all from different grassroots people.

RPatTheBeach
08-19-2007, 08:04 AM
I hear lots about this DVD, but have not seen it. Does anyone have a youtube link to it? Also, who made the DVD's and what was the cost? My meetup group was discussing distributing these at upcoming events in our area.

Thanks!

goldenequity
08-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Best way to back track

would be search "Gigaplex"..... it was his awesome effort,
find the thread and read, or just send him a PM for an "update".

As I remember, it was not a "generic" dvd on RP.... it was Iowa specific,

another different dvd was more generic and produced by someone else.

They were BOTH offered as bit torrent downloads.

hope that helps.

RPatTheBeach
08-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks, golden.

Bryan
08-19-2007, 08:21 AM
It's on Google video- but it was cut specifically for the Iowa Straw Poll. Its biggest complaint is that it the resolution wasn't the best, this was a known issue but I think Jeff will tell you it came down to either this or doing nothing due to the limited time constrains.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2284724646717174405

LibertyEagle
08-19-2007, 08:27 AM
It's on Google video- but it was cut specifically for the Iowa Straw Poll. Its biggest complaint is that it the resolution wasn't the best, this was a known issue but I think Jeff will tell you it came down to either this or doing nothing due to the limited time constrains.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2284724646717174405

Yes and we're back to the same thing that has been mentioned several times, which is the need for a central repository full of high-resolution video that we all can access to create DVDs, YouTubes, etc.

It doesn't take any more time to do something right the first time, with good video, than having to redo it later, if and when better quality video is found.

But, I guess we like doing things over and over again. After all, it's being "individual", isn't it.

MsDoodahs
08-19-2007, 08:47 AM
LE makes a great point.

What does it take to make it happen?

(My first youtube viewing was done because of this campaign - I'm un tech. :o )

How do we set up a " central repository full of high-resolution video that we all can access to create DVDs, YouTubes, etc."

????

Suzu
08-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Yes and we're back to the same thing that has been mentioned several times, which is the need for a central repository full of high-resolution video that we all can access to create DVDs, YouTubes, etc.

It doesn't take any more time to do something right the first time, with good video, than having to redo it later, if and when better quality video is found.

But, I guess we like doing things over and over again. After all, it's being "individual", isn't it.

The Ron Paul Volunteer Network has created such a file repository, which is bare of files. It seems few Ron Paul supporters know about us so far. We do have nearly 200 members already, but they are all such active grassroots people that they barely post in forums.

At any rate, nobody seems to know where to find the original, higher resolution video of anything, unless they made it themselves.

Suzu
08-19-2007, 08:52 AM
LE makes a great point.

What does it take to make it happen?

(My first youtube viewing was done because of this campaign - I'm un tech. :o )

How do we set up a " central repository full of high-resolution video that we all can access to create DVDs, YouTubes, etc."

????

I set up the repository, but who's got the hi-res video?

specsaregood
08-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I set up the repository, but who's got the hi-res video?

I think the best way is to contact the youtube accounts of people that made the videos and ask them if they still have the source files.

I've got my own repository I am going to fill with promotional materials.
http://www.littlebrothermedia.com/ronPaulDownloads/
If anybody has any source files for flyers, postcards, images, etc feel free to let me know where I can get them and I will host them.

MsDoodahs
08-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Dumb question: what qualifies as high res video? :o

Suzu
08-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Dumb question: what qualifies as high res video? :o

If it looks really crisp on your computer's media player when it's expanded to full-screen mode, that's it.

LibertyEagle
08-19-2007, 09:14 AM
The Ron Paul Volunteer Network has created such a file repository, which is bare of files. It seems few Ron Paul supporters know about us so far. We do have nearly 200 members already, but they are all such active grassroots people that they barely post in forums.

At any rate, nobody seems to know where to find the original, higher resolution video of anything, unless they made it themselves.

Yes, and this relates back to something else that we've been talking about. The need for a way to contact all the Meetup organizers, at the very least, without taking all friggin' day and 15 people to do it (because of constraints within the Meetup email facility).

Just 2 tools:
1. Way to quickly get an email to all Meetup organizers
2. A central repository of high-res video that we all can access
- From what Suzu said, we have the place. Now, we need to be able to get the word out about it and buy-in from others to populate it and use it.
- If and when this gets going, should this site also be mirrored?

Suzu
08-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Yes, and this relates back to something else that we've been talking about. The need for a way to contact all the Meetup organizers, at the very least, without taking all friggin' day and 15 people to do it (because of constraints within the Meetup email facility).

Just 2 tools:
1. Way to quickly get an email to all Meetup organizers
2. A central repository of high-res video that we all can access
- From what Suzu said, we have the place. Now, we need to be able to get the word out about it and buy-in from others to populate it and use it.
- If and when this gets going, should this site also be mirrored?

I have the facility to email all the meetup organizers who have joined the RPVN. Now the trick is to get them all to join!

The file repository should be mirrored. It's not hard to set up. I'd be happy to do it for anyone who asks.

LibertyEagle
08-19-2007, 09:26 AM
I have the facility to email all the meetup organizers who have joined the RPVN. Now the trick is to get them to join!

The file repository should be mirrored. It's not hard to set up. I'd be happy to do it for anyone who asks.

There was another list too. Some kind of Yahoo announce list that someone set up. I don't remember who it was.

Which is the best mechanism? One of these, or a different one altogether? If we can decide that, then I guess we're back to asking for about 15-20 people, who still haven't exceeded this month's Meetup email quota, to send out a message to the Meetup Organizers asking them to please join whatever mechanism we decide on.

But, we need to decide. Because asking them to join 42 separate lists all doing the same thing, is likely not going to provide the desired result.

Suzu
08-19-2007, 11:21 AM
There was another list too. Some kind of Yahoo announce list that someone set up. I don't remember who it was.

Which is the best mechanism? One of these, or a different one altogether? If we can decide that, then I guess we're back to asking for about 15-20 people, who still haven't exceeded this month's Meetup email quota, to send out a message to the Meetup Organizers asking them to please join whatever mechanism we decide on.

But, we need to decide. Because asking them to join 42 separate lists all doing the same thing, is likely not going to provide the desired result.

Yahoo only allows a very small quota of files to be stored in a group.

The RPVN has a terabyte of disk space available, and 3 TB/month of bandwidth.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Any thoughts of using Torrent with proper keywords? If we set up keyword guidelines, for example "Ron Paul" "Alabama Straw Poll" "August 18, 2007" would get you all of the vids from that event, including the one I can't seem to find anywhere of the preacher's speech.

I think it would be great to do it on a cetral repository, but aren't we talking terabytes worth of video? How much space do you have, specs or suzu?

MsDoodahs
08-19-2007, 01:25 PM
bumping so we can continue to discuss...

Suzu
08-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I think it would be great to do it on a central repository, but aren't we talking terabytes worth of video? How much space do you have, specs or suzu?

Scroll up to Post #16 in this thread :)

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Scroll up to Post #16 in this thread :)

Doh! Busted. Sometimes I read the posts really fast, which means sometimes not all of them.

A terabyte should get us started. Tell us how we should upload raw footage, if you have it worked out. We need a way to add keywords: event, topic, issue discussed, location and date.

Edit: What are your personal feelings, Suzu? Is this best, or should be use Torrent?

Suzu
08-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Tell us how we should upload raw footage, if you have it worked out. We need a way to add keywords: event, topic, issue discussed, location and date.

Edit: What are your personal feelings, Suzu? Is this best, or should be use Torrent?

Maybe name the file according to content?

Torrents would be a good idea too. Even 3TB of bandwidth might be a stretch. More could be bought if needed, but I'm totally tapped out.

Uploading of raw footage has to be somewhat controlled, to guard against potential infiltrators sharing malicious files. Therefore I limited uploading to verified RPVN members. Instructions are posted at http://ronpaulnetwork.info/forum/index.php?topic=287.msg729#msg729