PDA

View Full Version : Remember, Utah caucuses on March 25 (This Tuesday)

Hook
03-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Here are the official GOP caucus materials for Utah:
http://slcogop.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/2008-caucus-downloadables.zip

git-r-done!

Kotin
03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
bump

tajitj
03-24-2008, 06:47 PM
I do not think alot of people know about this. The local media knows. Show them our numbers.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8667378

Cowlesy
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
bump for an IMPORTANT grassroots thread.

ForLibertyFight
03-24-2008, 08:43 PM
go get em utah

gerryb
03-24-2008, 09:00 PM
bump

Banana
03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Every Utahian (Utaher? Utahist? What do you call yourselves?),

Be sure to do your homework. Read your state party's rules, conventions, RRO and prepare for every possibility. Know what is expected and how to object should anybody try to do anything funny.

As I've said before: Failure to object is fatal to your defense!

And don't forget those resolutions- even if you are in minority, you can get other to agree on more conservative resolutions.

Nyte
03-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Don't worry... we know and are about as well organized as we can be. One of our members has been running caucus training classes twice a week for the last month.

My precinct alone gets 4 state delegates this year, and you can bet the positions will be filled with supporters.

Banana
03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Don't worry... we know and are about as well organized as we can be. One of our members has been running caucus training classes twice a week for the last month.

My precinct alone gets 4 state delegates this year, and you can bet the positions will be filled with supporters.

Impressive!

Let's hope for the best! :)

itshappening
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
time?

TruthAtLast
03-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Nice. Good luck today.

Aratus
03-25-2008, 12:36 PM
bump!

Feelgood
03-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I cant wait to hear how this all turns out. :)

Zera
03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh god, I hope it went as well as Missouri did!

How many Utahians do we have here to report back to us?

kirkblitz
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
i hope it didnt go anyways MO did, they got screwed by the GOP machine.

malkusm
03-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Every Utahian (Utaher? Utahist? What do you call yourselves?),

Don't they call themselves Utes? Or at least that's what those at U. of Utah call themselves...

LibertyIn08
03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
My friend in Utah said that he thinks it'll go late tonight; good turnout, supposedly.

Fingers crossed.

Zera
03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
i hope it didnt go anyways MO did, they got screwed by the GOP machine.

I was gone the days people got this news... Are we totally screwed or will we still have the majority of the state convention?

Jeremy
03-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Oh god, I hope it went as well as Missouri did!

How many Utahians do we have here to report back to us?

Utah support is better than Missouri support. Didn't RP come in 2nd? Romney in 1st of course.

Sandra
03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Reports! Reports!

RP4EVER
03-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Paul came in 3rd....not far behind McCain and distantly behind Romney

Hook
03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Well, I just got back from my caucus. Our precinct only got one state delegate slot as punishment for losing to the Dems the last 4 cycles. It was filled by a Pol Sci major that everyone at the caucus knew. No other RP folks there as far as I could tell.

I was voted in for the Vice Chairman slot, for whatever that is worth. :D

Oh, and we are called Utahns. Utes are members of the Ute Indian tribe, which is where Utah got its name from.

Banana
03-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Hook,

Is that poli sci major delegate a RPR?

If not, invite him for a beer and a game of cribbage.

Hook
03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Hook,

Is that poli sci major delegate a RPR?

If not, invite him for a beer and a game of cribbage.

Actually it is a she. From what she was saying, I don't think her political persuasions would line up very well with Dr. Paul. :D

Banana
03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Apparently I'm a chauvinistic pig now.

Take her out for a dinner and movie then. Talk politics.

Hook
03-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Apparently I'm a chauvinistic pig now.

Take her out for a dinner and movie then. Talk politics.

I only do that for girls I know will put out. :D

nate895
03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I only do that for girls I know will put out. :D

Well, you know that won't happen since you're a Republican in Utah. There is a greater than 95% chance that she is a Mormon.

Banana
03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
(I'm afraid I have no idea what it mean to "will put out".... :o)

So you'd put your girl ahead of your nation?

Are you for us or against us? ;)

Seriously, I was jesting WRT dating, but was serious about at least sitting down and talking with her. Even if you don't convince her overnight, you may at least soften her up to be more receptive for other RPRs in the next convention.

Hook
03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, you know that won't happen since you're a Republican in Utah. There is a greater than 95% chance that she is a Mormon.

She is a Mormon. Which is why I'm not gonna waste my time and money buying her dinner. :D

She is a Mittens supporter through and through.

Banana
03-25-2008, 09:54 PM
And I don't think they'd take kindly to a offer of alcoholic drinks for that matter...

What do they do for fun? Beside going to church, I mean.

Hook
03-25-2008, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Banana;1369726](I'm afraid I have no idea what it mean to "will put out".... :o)

riiight...

Hook
03-25-2008, 09:55 PM
And I don't think they'd take kindly to a offer of alcoholic drinks for that matter...

eat green jell-o with carrot shavings in it at church socials.

Banana
03-25-2008, 10:01 PM
riiight...

Scout's honor. I never heard of the phrase 'put out' in that sense until just now. I guess I'm too used to pink tacos. *shrugs*

eat green jell-o with carrot shavings in it at church socials.

Well, so that's what you have to go. Go join the church social. Talk shop. Tell them how McCain is going to take away their liberties as a good faithful Mormon if they don't protest and vote for Paul who just wants to leave everybody the hell alone. Enjoy the jello. If you can't, numb your tongue with something.

nate895
03-25-2008, 10:01 PM

And think, they try to convert me every year at school. I find their attempts laughable, especially considering they have done it for so many years.

Banana
03-25-2008, 10:05 PM
So your backyard is packed with Mormon?

With all respect to Mormon, I could never really reconcile the fact that Mormon base their teachings on a (comparatively) recent phenomena and totally unsupported by any historical evidence. Oh well. Not going to stop me from wanting to stop them exercising their free exercise of religion as they see fit.

nate895
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
So your backyard is packed with Mormon?

With all respect to Mormon, I could never really reconcile the fact that Mormon base their teachings on a (comparatively) recent phenomena and totally unsupported by any historical evidence. Oh well. Not going to stop me from wanting to stop them exercising their free exercise of religion as they see fit.

They're fine with me as long they don't force me to go to their church.

djs
03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I just got my ass handed to me at our caucus. It was my first time going to one. I had a great stump speech. We had 3 delegates up for grabs. Myself and the other Ron Paul delegate came in 5th and 6th place. I think there were a lot of teachers there and anti voucher type of people, because when they asked me how I felt about school vouchers I said I was for them etc.... A cross eyed teacher with a dirty shirt and a really shitty stump speech came in 1rst so I had to assume there were a lot of teachers or something......I'm going independent, these people are morons. Maybe I'm full of sour grapes?

Banana
03-25-2008, 10:49 PM
djs, let's hope other places did better.

Did you happen to get any resolutions sharing sentiments of Paul's platform pass, perhaps?

Nyte
03-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Our state's email lists are receiving many excellent reports coming in from all over Utah.

My Precinct in Salt Lake County was allocated 4 state delegate slots. I managed to get one, as well as 2 confirmed Ron Paul supporters. I didn't have a chance to speak with the 4th one.

I also managed to get elected as Vice-Chair.

The revolution continues in Utah!

djs
03-25-2008, 11:02 PM
djs, let's hope other places did better.

Did you happen to get any resolutions sharing sentiments of Paul's platform pass, perhaps?

In our caucus there was no option to share sentiment or desin the platform. Nothing like that was offered.

Banana
03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Nyte, great job!

Djs, I guess they do it differently then. No biggie. You did what you can. I don't know squat about Utah GOP's rules, but check around if there's other ways you can help- get in the committee or whatever.

Hook
03-25-2008, 11:19 PM
We don't set the state platform until the State Convention. We only vote for officers at the precinct caucus level.

ChelC
03-26-2008, 08:31 AM
I sure hope most Utahans don't read this crap. You guys need to learn a little discretion. I am a Utahan, I am a Mormon. For fun I spend time with my family, go camping, shooting, hiking, fishing, boating, motorcycle rides with my husband, out to eat with friends, hang out and watch movies in my cousins theater room, play games, garden, am learning photography, love to cook, and I enjoy a good political argument. All without getting skunk drunk and being a jackass. I think you could work on being a little respectful on a public forum. Watch out, we're breeding too!

I did get a state and county delegate seat, as well as the precinct vice chair.

I know another LDS guy in my area who also was elected as state delegate. I'm waiting to hear back from another.

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
I sure hope most Utahans don't read this crap. You guys need to learn a little discretion. I am a Utahan, I am a Mormon. For fun I spend time with my family, go camping, shooting, hiking, fishing, boating, motorcycle rides with my husband, out to eat with friends, hang out and watch movies in my cousins theater room, play games, garden, am learning photography, love to cook, and I enjoy a good political argument. All without getting skunk drunk and being a jackass. I think you could work on being a little respectful on a public forum. Watch out, we're breeding too!

I know another LDS guy in my area who also was elected as state delegate. I'm waiting to hear back from another.

Yeah, what she said.
You go girl!
Great job, keep kicking @ss!

LibertyIn08
03-26-2008, 08:43 AM

Indeed.

Banana
03-26-2008, 08:47 AM

Great job!

wgadget
03-26-2008, 10:18 AM

So everyone thinks you're a Romneyite, no doubt. LOL.

ChelC
03-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Probably. They do know I'm a freaky homeschooler though, so that should give them a clue... nobody asked me anything.

ChelC
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I just heard back from a Ron Paul supporter I met at the caucus, and she also was elected as a state delegate.

Hook
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM

I was just yanking your chain. Lighten up. :D

BTW, what part was offensive? The not putting out on the first date, or eating green jello? I wasn't aware that either was offensive.

ChelC
03-26-2008, 01:57 PM
You're a grown up, I think you can figure out what was rude and potentially damaging to the image of Ron Paul supporters in the conversation (and many on this site).

Look, we have a lot of enthusiastic supporters and that is great. We have a lot of opportunity to educate people about the proper role of government. Generally speaking, people who present themselves publicly as foul mouthed, crude, immature twits are not helping us to accomplish that. You are closing a lot of doors that are hard enough to open as it is by giving Ron Paul supporters a bad name.

Banana
03-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Look, we have a lot of enthusiastic supporters and that is great. We have a lot of opportunity to educate people about the proper role of government.

That's good to know; I was kind of wondering about that as it was quiet here compared to other threads on MO but guessed that Utah people had their own avenue of communication other than a anonymous internet board.

We (well at least I am) are very interested in seeing other state claiming the party. :)

runderwo
03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Are there any results from UT yet?

Nyte
03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Our Ron Paul State Coordinator is gathering information in the state delegates and we'll have a much better picture in the next few weeks.

Utah has about 3500 state delegates, so there's a lot of information to gather. It's not a simple job to identify how each of those delegates will vote.

We're working on putting together a slate of 33 national delegates and 33 alternates to be voted on at the state convention on May 10th.

Aratus
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
its a bit of a wait for any results?