PDA

View Full Version : Open the 2008 presidential debates. If RP runs 3rd party...

Gadsden Flag
03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
If Ron Paul decides to run 3rd party or independent (not likely), then the time to start throwing weight at getting the debates open to more than just Democrats and Republicans is now.

Actually, I heard about this website after reading about Ralph Nader, whom I don't think I am going to vote for, but definitely want to be in the presidential debates.

He currently has 5%-6% of the vote, but the requirement to participate is at 15% or more.

There is a non-partisan commission which is trying to relax the rules about who can participate. The website is

http://www.opendebates.org/

I just signed the petition there.

By the way, what do you guys think should be the rules regarding debate participation? I think it should be the top 5 or top 4 candidates, regardless of the percent of the vote they have.

Under those rules, it would probably be Hillary/Obama, McCain, Nader, Ron Paul(hypothetically) and some other guy.

That would be great to watch, and provided that all the candidates recieved equal time, it would be a good representation of all ends of the political spectrum.

Richie
03-22-2008, 06:04 PM
I think that anybody who is on the ballot in enough states to win the election should be included.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
03-22-2008, 06:41 PM
If Ron Paul decides to run 3rd party or independent (not likely), then the time to start throwing weight at getting the debates open to more than just Democrats and Republicans is now.

Actually, I heard about this website after reading about Ralph Nader, whom I don't think I am going to vote for, but definitely want to be in the presidential debates.

He currently has 5%-6% of the vote, but the requirement to participate is at 15% or more.

There is a non-partisan commission which is trying to relax the rules about who can participate. The website is

http://www.opendebates.org/

I just signed the petition there.

By the way, what do you guys think should be the rules regarding debate participation? I think it should be the top 5 or top 4 candidates, regardless of the percent of the vote they have.

Under those rules, it would probably be Hillary/Obama, McCain, Nader, Ron Paul(hypothetically) and some other guy.

That would be great to watch, and provided that all the candidates recieved equal time, it would be a good representation of all ends of the political spectrum.

With Ron Paul running third party that would usher in the slighly more liberal Obama or Clinton Democrats over the slightly less left leaning McCann. The liberal leaning McCann is the best of the worst.

Zippyjuan
03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Ron Paul's 5% is still at least ten times higher than Ralph Nader's support.