PDA

View Full Version : Seeds of Deception: Say NO to GMO!

dirtyp
03-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Seeds of Deception: Say NO to GMO!
How many of you know about GMO food? (Genetically Modified Organisms)
Do you know you eat it everyday?

I encourage everyone to watch these videos and educate yourself today about the threats of GMO food. This is a much more serious issue than this immediate Global Warming fear which has yet to be proven..
http://thelastmovement.blogspot.com/2008/03/seeds-of-deception-say-no-to-gmo.html

Hook
03-22-2008, 06:00 PM
I LOVE GM foods! They are the only ones I will buy at the store. Anthing that says "organic" on it, I won't even consider eating.

:D

Mr. White
03-22-2008, 06:16 PM
damn pea plants.

Margo37
03-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Almost nothing you can buy that hasn't already been altered. Most fruits and vegetables are not natural, they've been "improved" over the years.

In the US, at least 80% of corn is now GMO. 80% of soybeans are GMO and 90% of wheat is GMO. There are no labeling laws so the consumer is unknowingly eating GMO foods. Widely disseminated into nearly every packaged food, fructose and corn syrup are certainly contaminated by large quantities of GMO corn. Corn starch, corn syrup, corn flour, corn meal, corn oil and maltodextrin (from corn) are present in numerous supermarket products. Five years ago GMO forms of rice, potatoes, squash, papaya, cotton, rapeseed (canola oil), tomatoes, peppers, garden vegetables and some fruit were already created. Surely this number of GMO foods has grown significantly since then. Remember there is no requirement to identify GMO foods when they are sold. In my opinion U.S. and Canadian wheat, corn and soy should no longer be eaten unless you are certain they are from organic non-GMO sources.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james50.htm

hopeforamerica
03-22-2008, 09:45 PM
So just how do you say No? I would love to avoid GMO, but how?

Hook
03-22-2008, 10:40 PM
So just how do you say No? I would love to avoid GMO, but how?

Grow your own veggies in the backyard.

Alawn
03-22-2008, 10:55 PM
This is a list of different brands that tells you if it is GMO

http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/guide_printable.html

If you don't want GMO foods the only things you really have to watch out for right now are soy, corn, and canola. There is also a big push to introduce gmo sugar beet right now. If is says organic it cannot have gmo food in it but it does not have to be organic to not be gmo.

dannno
03-23-2008, 12:12 AM
It's also important to cut off the supplier, Monsanto specifically, by shopping at local farmers markets, organic fruit stands, organic stores and whole foods stores instead of MSGS (mainstream grocery stores) and COSTCO as much as possible..

Support the farms that are NOT polluting our water supply (remember what Ron Paul says about property rights) by eating organic as much as possible.

ConstitutionGal
03-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Even many 'local' farmers use GMO seeds. Unless your farmer is using heirloom seeds and is, at least, five miles from the nearest farm that uses GMO seeds, there's still no guarantee that you aren't getting GMO. This is part of what is causing the issues with the GMO sugar beets in Oregon - the GMO farms are allowed to be within 3 miles of the non-GMO/organic farms and the non-GMO/organic farms are afraid that with a potential 5-mile pollen drift, that their crops will become 'infected' with the GMO pollen.

ConstitutionGal
03-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Oh! Another problem with the engineered seeds is that they will not reporduce (in most cases past the second generation) so you can't save seeds for replanting. This is another way Monsanto, et al make their money - you contantly have to repurchase seeds for planting instead of just saving over from year to year to replant. Heirloom seeds, on the other hand, will reproduce just like they have for centuries without having to repurchase seeds. Everything in our garden is heirloom and we just save seeds from mature fruits and veggies each year for starting the garden the following year. An added bonus is that the veggies actually still taste like you can remember them tasting ;-)

coyote_sprit
03-23-2008, 12:21 AM
If all food was organic there wouldn't be enough to feed the entire world. GMO foods helps developing nations and makes food cheaper. Organic is good but some will still always have to rely on GM foods.

thuja
03-23-2008, 12:26 AM
there are tests.

http://www.non-gmoreport.com/articles/jan2006/non_gmo_project.php

thuja
03-23-2008, 12:32 AM
If all food was organic there wouldn't be enough to feed the entire world. GMO foods helps developing nations and makes food cheaper. Organic is good but some will still always have to rely on GM foods.

this is definately the MYTH that monsanto and friends wish for you to believe.

a good place to look around and find scientific answers to this is www.gmwatch.org
or www.organicconsumers.org

coyote_sprit
03-23-2008, 12:42 AM
this is definately the MYTH that monsanto and friends wish for you to believe.

a good place to look around and find scientific answers to this is www.gmwatch.org
or www.organicconsumers.org

What does that make Norman Borlaug?

thuja
03-23-2008, 12:49 AM
a very misleading problem.

thuja
03-23-2008, 12:50 AM
bill gates likes this stuff too. and clinton.

Mickeys
03-23-2008, 02:01 AM
I don't get it...WHY am I saying no to it, exactly? Because you don't understand it?

thuja
03-23-2008, 06:31 AM
anyone can choose to eat or use these genetically modified things if they wish, but thorough research should be done in order to understand the risks to themselves and the entire world population and planet.
the manufacturers are counting on people's ignorance.
book: genetic roulette, by smith

hillertexas
03-23-2008, 08:10 AM
What about genetically modifying seeds to grow in harsh climates?

This is the only way we can feed the world. Send them GM seeds that will grow in their climate. Or is there a better solution and if so, what?

Google Norman Borlaug

Now 92 years old, Borlaug hasn’t slowed down, and doesn’t mince words when he talks about modern agricultural practices, such as genetic modification (GM), and its ability to address food shortages, famine and starvation. "(Those against GM crops take) a ridiculous position," Borlaug said, citing bread wheat, which has been used since before history, and is a cross between wild wheat and two wild grasses. Gene crossing like this forms the basis of traditional genetic modification and has progressed over time into the processes we have today. "(Opposition to GMO crops) is a lot of nonsense," he says.
It’s the same thing with organic versus chemical fertilizers, Borlaug said. "For God’s sake, I’ve always said, ‘Use all the organic fertilizer that’s available, but don’t come around Third World nations telling them they can produce all the food they need with organic fertilizer.’ (If we tried to substitute manure for chemical fertilizer) we’d have to increase world cattle population by about six-fold...It’s a lot of nonsense, and it comes from people who’ve never produced one ton of food in their entire lifetime."

For over a half century, the scientific and humanitarian achievements of Dr. Norman Borlaug (Nobel Peace Prize winner, Congressional Gold Medal Winner, and recipient of over 50 honorary Doctorate Degrees) has kept starvation at bay for millions of people in third world countries. Dr. Borlaug, " Father of the Green Revolution" continues his battle against starvation in Africa.

hillertexas
03-23-2008, 08:18 AM
What does that make Norman Borlaug?

+1

Ninja Homer
03-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Monsanto is evil. They should have been sued out of existence long ago. They are the creators of Agent Orange, the particularly nasty herbicide that was used in Vietnam, which has caused cancer in thousands and thousands of veterans. The treatment of these cancer cases is paid for by taxes. I don't have a problem with tax dollars paying for the treatment of veterans, but since Monsanto still exists, they should be the ones paying for it.

Monsanto also brought us aspartame. If you don't know anything about aspartame poisoning, research it. Aspartame is actually a GMO. It failed FDA testing until Donald Rumsfeld was hired as CEO of G.D. Searle, and used his political pull in Washington to get it approved by the FDA in 1981. The simple fact that Rumsfeld was involved in getting aspartame its FDA approval should be enough to get most Ron Paul supporters to kick their diet soda addiction.

One of the countries having the most problems with GMO crops is India. Many Indian farmers bought GMO seed from Monsanto. Then they had to buy pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers from Monsanto because they are all kind of genetically engineered as a set to work together. If they used other products, their crops would die. They also have to re-purchase Monsanto seed every year. Monsanto doesn't allow re-seeding because they hold the patent on that seed, and usually any attempt to re-seed fails anyway because most of them won't reproduce. As a result, many Indian farmers have become deep in debt, and over 150,000 of them have committed suicide since 1993 because that's the only way they see to get their family out of debt.

The problem with eating GMO foods is that your body doesn't know how to handle them. Your body may handle some types of GMO fine, while having really bad reactions to others. Your body will treat some types of GMO as toxins, and either expel them as quickly as possible, give you an allergic reaction to them, or store them in fat cells away from your vital organs. GMO foods aren't properly tested on humans. If you decide to consume them, you are the guinea pig.

hillertexas
03-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Monsanto is evil. They should have been sued out of existence long ago. They are the creators of Agent Orange, the particularly nasty herbicide that was used in Vietnam, which has caused cancer in thousands and thousands of veterans. The treatment of these cancer cases is paid for by taxes. I don't have a problem with tax dollars paying for the treatment of veterans, but since Monsanto still exists, they should be the ones paying for it.

Monsanto also brought us aspartame. If you don't know anything about aspartame poisoning, research it. Aspartame is actually a GMO. It failed FDA testing until Donald Rumsfeld was hired as CEO of G.D. Searle, and used his political pull in Washington to get it approved by the FDA in 1981. The simple fact that Rumsfeld was involved in getting aspartame its FDA approval should be enough to get most Ron Paul supporters to kick their diet soda addiction.

One of the countries having the most problems with GMO crops is India. Many Indian farmers bought GMO seed from Monsanto. Then they had to buy pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers from Monsanto because they are all kind of genetically engineered as a set to work together. If they used other products, their crops would die. They also have to re-purchase Monsanto seed every year. Monsanto doesn't allow re-seeding because they hold the patent on that seed, and usually any attempt to re-seed fails anyway because most of them won't reproduce. As a result, many Indian farmers have become deep in debt, and over 150,000 of them have committed suicide since 1993 because that's the only way they see to get their family out of debt.

The problem with eating GMO foods is that your body doesn't know how to handle them. Your body may handle some types of GMO fine, while having really bad reactions to others. Your body will treat some types of GMO as toxins, and either expel them as quickly as possible, give you an allergic reaction to them, or store them in fat cells away from your vital organs. GMO foods aren't properly tested on humans. If you decide to consume them, you are the guinea pig.

I agree with you. Monsanto is evil. But to genetically modify a crop does not necessarily mean the addition of something unnatural. I am no expert and am open to GMO being bad. Maybe I am confused. Is there a difference between GMO, GM, and GE crops?

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvNopv9Pa8 and please enlighten me.

Ninja Homer
03-23-2008, 10:28 AM
I agree with you. Monsanto is evil. But to genetically modify a crop does not necessarily mean the addition of something unnatural. I am no expert and am open to GMO being bad. Maybe I am confused. Is there a difference between GMO, GM, and GE crops?

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvNopv9Pa8 and please enlighten me.
GMO, GM, and GE crops are all pretty much the same thing; manipulating the genes of existing plants to create new ones.

I watched the video, and it was interesting. The problem I see with it is they turned it into a black and white issue, gave the "no-GMO" people the black side, and took the white side of the issue themselves.

Like most issues, GMO shouldn't be looked at in a black or white, good or bad sense. Obviously, it has done many good things, saving many people from dieing from starvation. On the flip side, in areas where people have plenty of food, it has caused many health problems.

I don't have any problem at all with selective breeding. For instance, wheat was created about 5,000 years ago via selective breeding. The things that wheat has done for the world shouldn't need any explaining. The only problem with selective breeding is that it can take thousands of years for the human body to adapt to consuming a new food. In the case of wheat, about 1% of the population has coeliac disease, which is basically an allergic reaction to a particular protein found in wheat. Who knows how long it will be before 100% of the population can handle wheat.

With GMO foods, they alter the DNA of a crop, and they can come up with a lot of new breeds very quickly compared to selective breeding. They can test them all and if they find one with properties that they like, they can start running additional testing on it such as safety or environmental impact. Through gene splicing, they may develop a new crop that can grow in an area where it couldn't grow before. It may save a lot of people from starvation, and that is truly awesome. However, I don't feel that they are tested long enough on humans to know the long term health effects.

Food serves a higher purpose than just filling your stomach. The body breaks it down and uses the vitamins, minerals, and proteins to keep the body going. If a crop is developed that will grow in an area that is deficient in minerals, than that crop just isn't going to have the proper amount of minerals to sustain the human body. People eating those crops will have to get those minerals by other means.

Personally, I feel that if you have the option of eating organic foods that are full of natural vitamins and minerals, or eating GMO crops that may be lacking and require supplementation, you're always going to be better off eating organic. It's the way the human body has always received vitamins, minerals, and proteins, the body knows what to do with it that way because it always comes in the perfect proportions, and there aren't a lot of worries about allergies to new GMO foods or pesticides, herbicides, or other toxins.

Where I see the biggest problems with GMO crops is corporations like Monsanto. Their goal is not to solve the starvation problems of the world, but to wipe out all their competition and control the world's food supply. They create crops that can't reproduce (I'm sure there's a Bible verse that specifically addresses that), and can't grow except by using their own fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides. Certainly, all GMO developers are not bad, but those that are can be very harmful.

hillertexas
03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
GMO, GM, and GE crops are all pretty much the same thing; manipulating the genes of existing plants to create new ones.

I watched the video, and it was interesting. The problem I see with it is they turned it into a black and white issue, gave the "no-GMO" people the black side, and took the white side of the issue themselves.

Like most issues, GMO shouldn't be looked at in a black or white, good or bad sense. Obviously, it has done many good things, saving many people from dieing from starvation. On the flip side, in areas where people have plenty of food, it has caused many health problems.

I don't have any problem at all with selective breeding. For instance, wheat was created about 5,000 years ago via selective breeding. The things that wheat has done for the world shouldn't need any explaining. The only problem with selective breeding is that it can take thousands of years for the human body to adapt to consuming a new food. In the case of wheat, about 1% of the population has coeliac disease, which is basically an allergic reaction to a particular protein found in wheat. Who knows how long it will be before 100% of the population can handle wheat.

With GMO foods, they alter the DNA of a crop, and they can come up with a lot of new breeds very quickly compared to selective breeding. They can test them all and if they find one with properties that they like, they can start running additional testing on it such as safety or environmental impact. Through gene splicing, they may develop a new crop that can grow in an area where it couldn't grow before. It may save a lot of people from starvation, and that is truly awesome. However, I don't feel that they are tested long enough on humans to know the long term health effects.

Food serves a higher purpose than just filling your stomach. The body breaks it down and uses the vitamins, minerals, and proteins to keep the body going. If a crop is developed that will grow in an area that is deficient in minerals, than that crop just isn't going to have the proper amount of minerals to sustain the human body. People eating those crops will have to get those minerals by other means.

Personally, I feel that if you have the option of eating organic foods that are full of natural vitamins and minerals, or eating GMO crops that may be lacking and require supplementation, you're always going to be better off eating organic. It's the way the human body has always received vitamins, minerals, and proteins, the body knows what to do with it that way because it always comes in the perfect proportions, and there aren't a lot of worries about allergies to new GMO foods or pesticides, herbicides, or other toxins.

Where I see the biggest problems with GMO crops is corporations like Monsanto. Their goal is not to solve the starvation problems of the world, but to wipe out all their competition and control the world's food supply. They create crops that can't reproduce (I'm sure there's a Bible verse that specifically addresses that), and can't grow except by using their own fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides. Certainly, all GMO developers are not bad, but those that are can be very harmful.

Thanks, Ninja.
You are totally right. I guess it really is not a black and white issue and you brought up many things that I had not even considered. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I agree that more research needs to be done on the long term effects of GM crops on the human body. And, because of the "third world" benefits with GM crops, I don't think GM crops should be demonized or outlawed (or accepted blindly into an industrialized society for that matter).
I think we are on the same page now. :)