PDA

View Full Version : For those who want our own island, state, etc.

nate895
03-21-2008, 09:17 PM
How about we colonize Mars? It would be much bigger, accommodate more people and we'd have plenty of space to defend ourselves. It would be hard to do, but I was watching The Universe on THC and figured that that would be a crazy idea. If it actually succeeded, it would reap a lot more benefits than an island or state anyway. Heck, we could request to become a state if we wanted. We would have a lot more autonomy than these states do.

notcarljung
03-21-2008, 10:25 PM
ok. first we've gotta get some rockets. that's probably several billion dollars. and we need to get some sort of "global warming generator" system going. after the carbon builds up, mars will become warmer. then we can bring a bunch of algae or something to fill the planet with oxygen.

and from there, we just fill the thing up with plants and animals.

that's gotta be at least a trillion dollars right there.

Kludge
03-21-2008, 10:27 PM
ok. first we've gotta get some rockets. that's probably several billion dollars. and we need to get some sort of "global warming generator" system going. after the carbon builds up, mars will become warmer. then we can bring a bunch of algae or something to fill the planet with oxygen.

Wait wait... Maybe we can scare Americans into paying us to export their carbon to Mars!

pinkmandy
03-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Well someone has to go first and plant a territorial flag that says "Mars Free Planet Project" so we can claim it. ;)

nate895
03-21-2008, 10:33 PM

I say we rip off the Mars Society Plan.

Banana
03-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm afraid that by time they get there, a banker will show up and show that the assets used for the trip were used as a collateral for his debt and he has to make good on it.

nate895
03-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm afraid that by time they get there, a banker will show up and show that the assets used for the trip were used as a collateral for his debt and he has to make good on it.

Well, that will be the case for anything we try if they do it. I would be personally afraid of sabotage midway through the colonization itself.

nate895
03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Who wants to setup Liberty4Mars.com with forums? :D

boggie08
03-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I hope you guys are joking. We cannot give up on America. I will not leave my country. No matter how bad it gets, I am going to die here. Leaving would break my heart.

nate895
03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
I hope you guys are joking. We cannot give up on America. I will not leave my country. No matter how bad it gets, I am going to die here. Leaving would break my heart.

I wouldn't leave America or my state (unless I want to for other reasons) and abandon her for an island, another country or some such nonsense. But, I have to admit, if someone managed to pull it off, I might go to Mars.

Peace&Freedom
03-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Where is all the needed water going to come from? Or the food to keep people fed on a 9 month flight to the planet? Or the equipment to displace the toxins in the Martian air? Or the gear to properly pressurize the surface to 15 pounds/square inch (without which, we would slowly pop like a balloon as shown in the film Total Recall)? What stops the algae from mutating and killing the colonists? How would protecting the colony from the radiation be dealt with? Anybody know of a FAQ or wiki site working on these issues?

amy31416
03-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Well gravity is only 3.7 m/s2 vs. Earth's 9.8, so it'd be easy to lose that last 10lbs. But considering that the atmosphere is 95% CO2, we might have a little problem there.

It's also a tad chilly for my tastes, I don't think my Old Navy fleece will cut it.

nate895
03-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Where is all the needed water going to come from? Or the food to keep people fed on a 9 month flight to the planet? Or the equipment to displace the toxins in the Martian air? Or the gear to properly pressurize the surface to 15 pounds/square inch (without which, we would slowly pop like a balloon as shown in the film Total Recall)? What stops the algae from mutating and killing the colonists? How would protecting the colony from the radiation be dealt with? Anybody know of a FAQ or wiki site working on these issues?

That is why we rip off the Mars Society plan.

nate895
03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Well gravity is only 3.7 m/s2 vs. Earth's 9.8, so it'd be easy to lose that last 10lbs. But considering that the atmosphere is 95% CO2, we might have a little problem there.

It's also a tad chilly for my tastes, I don't think my Old Navy fleece will cut it.

We'll send up tests for the gravity, and we'd have to where space suits while outside our little bubbles until the planet is properly terraformed.

amy31416
03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
We'll send up tests for the gravity, and we'd have to where space suits while outside our little bubbles until the planet is properly terraformed.

Easy enough. I don't mean to be a naysayer about this great "populate Mars" idea, but there's also an agricultural issue--no dirt, 0.3% water and, um, it's too cold to grow anything.

Eh, I guess we'll just take 5 million pounds of MRE's with us. And 10 million gallons of water.

That's practical.

nate895
03-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Easy enough. I don't mean to be a naysayer about this great "populate Mars" idea, but there's also an agricultural issue--no dirt, 0.3% water and, um, it's too cold to grow anything.

Eh, I guess we'll just take 5 million pounds of MRE's with us. And 10 million gallons of water.

That's practical.

The tests for gravity should also search for underground water, which is believed to be a few hundred yards from the surface. Also, it is believed Martian soil, if used in a greenhouse, would be able to grow enough food. Eventually, when the planet would be terraformed, this would all come natural, as it does on the Earth, but we'd probably dead for quite some time when that happens, until then we'd have to live in our bubbles with greenhouses everywhere.

LibertasPraesidium
04-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Mars is actually not too plausible but there is a "planet" names seres, we would need way stations for communication and defense, getting mars to be habitable is harder than drilling into the surface and self containing the parts we need. The expedition has been quoted at about 100 million. there are two rockets, one is for sale in kazikstan, the other, well the russians still have it. there were decommissioned and never flown but all you need is an engine, and we could possibly go home. LOL but in all seriousness if anyone wishes to extend an idea off of this planet, the economic impact would be amazing. NO joke here, ive done some research with some friends at college, and they say that if we had the money we could really begin to talk. so if you have any IDeas, email me. LibertasPraesidium@gmail.com. it may sound outlandish but so is our own country turning against us. as one becomes reality the other becomes plausible.