PDA

View Full Version : The Tipping Point: Regroup and Strategize

TwiLeXia
03-21-2008, 06:45 PM
How do we make the Revolution permanent? I have some ideas.

I read this book called The Tipping Point a few years ago, by Malcolm Gladwell. One of his main ideas is the tipping point, and how epidemics, fashion trends, and viral phenomena cross that threshold from being simply an idea, to spreading like wildfire. I feel like the revolution needs to cross that threshold.

There are three "rules of epidemics," or "agents of change."

1. The Law of the Few Basically, the success of our revolution depends heavily on a few number of people. You can decide if you are one of them, (or two) and see if you are able to specialize in that role:

a. Connectors, who have a special ability to bring people together... these include Trevor Lyman, Brent Sanders, Murray Sabrin (anyone else running for office) and of course Ron Paul. Do you have the ability to bring ideas together, create a consensus, and generally lead the revolution? If so you should see if you can run for public office, or join a meetup group where you can lead.

b. Mavens, who supply the revolution with information and news. This includes people like Bradley in DC who reports articles about Dr. Paul as well as others who help with the information and arguments for Dr. Paul's position. I consider myself a Maven, I usually bring ideas and information to the table. Are you a "maven?"

c. Salesmen, who are adept in persuading others and making people agree with them. Ron Paul of course is the ultimate salesman, but many of us supporters are very good at persuading others. Me, not so much. Are you a salesman? If not, maybe you should do a little less persuading. I feel like some of us non-salesmen do more damage than benefit.

Now that you've decided your role in the revolution, read on to find out how we can make the revolution tip.

2. The Stickiness Factor Are our advertisements, our slogans, our sayings, our presentation, and our ideas memorable? Are the advertisements memorable? Non-memorable advertisements are nearly useless. But those that are... and I believe the High Tide Promo is one of them, is something that will "stick" with anyone who sees it. And these are the most valuable ones of all.

Let's also consider if our slogans are memorable. Obama's "Yes We Can" is pretty memorable, but what about our slogans? You decide.

How about our presentation? Do we present the revolution in a memorable and extraordinary fashion? How we present the platform of Dr. Paul is just as important as the platform itself. Shoving the message into another's face and disagreeing with everything they say, may not be the best way to present Dr. Paul.

3. The Power of Context This is what I believe is the biggest problem. Is the environment right, the conditions right, for our revolution to spread like wildfire? Our biggest complaint is of the "sheep" in the US, voting for people they don't understand. So how can we change that? How can we change public opinion, how can we create the right context for the revolution to succeed. I like to think of the revolution as a ship. If we try to ram the ship through a mass of land, we will inevitably fail. Maybe we need to make a canal or a passageway first... and that means building the foundation. Without that, trying to push the ship even an inch over will be futile.

So how do we reach that threshold? I believe it lies with making our message more "conceivable." The harder you try to ram the ship, the more afraid and skeptical the rest of society becomes. On the other hand, if you soften up the message a little bit, make it more agreeable with society's current notions and values, then perhaps in the future we wouldn't even need to push the more "extremes" of our message forth. For example, one of the very extreme messages (in my view) is abolish the Federal Reserve and Department of Education. People have gotten used to them, and so saying to abolish them is futile. But maybe calling for reform of the Fed and Dept of Education, or a limiting of their power, could be more conceivable to people. And then later, after they agree that these agencies need to be reformed, they will start thinking, why don't we just remove them altogether? That's how you build the canal.

I personally think it's very harmful when non-salesmen attempt to "sell" Dr. Paul's message. If you can't do it in a persuasive, polite, respectable, and memorable way, don't do it at all. You might just be building antagonism, skepticism, and ridicule.

I also think that connectors need to bring people together to decide on one idea and activity, rather than have hundreds and thousands of them floating around. Finally, the "mavens," or information-gatherers, need to find relevant, concise information to supply the salesmen with ammunition.

If we can soften our message and allow our ideas to trickle into mainstream thought, we can dig the canal for our ship. Then, we simply need to create powerful, memorable advertisements and slogans that will stick with people's minds forever. Then, the message itself will do the rest.

Tell me what you think.

Mordan
03-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree the salesman job can only be done by a salesman. It is REALLY hard to seduce someone with strong views.
very hard to become a salesman.

tangent4ronpaul
03-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I think you need to re-read the book.

One of the most important points is timing and catching a wave... For us, that would have been last fall. We are on the downslope now and we will have to wait for things to cycle again to have another chance.

Second, Trevor is not a good connector. The blimp team really dropped the ball when calling for volunteers and then not getting back to people or telling them to come on board and never hearing from them again. That's not what connectors do. Running for public office does not make you a connector either. If anything, Trevor is a salesman.

As to mavens, well, mavens collect and distribute information, they generally do not originate it. Bradley generally originates information and others spread it. We have people that spread information, but most are more akin to spammers. A maven is someone lots of people go to and ask because they would probably know. It's not someone that re-posts every article they can find.

-n

psalm82x3
03-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Great book. I read it a couple years back. I think there is a deeper interpretatiion possible for stickiness, than just the "I like Ike" idea of stickiness. Once people unplug from the lies, they stay unplugged. Heartfelt truth is stickier than anything. http://youtube.com/watch?v=MRTDynbHVYQ

God bless.

wowabunga
03-21-2008, 10:15 PM
One of the most important points is timing and catching a wave... For us, that would have been last fall. We are on the downslope now and we will have to wait for things to cycle again to have another chance.

One of the "greats of advertising" was fond of saying to the likes of:

"Many people spend their day seeking and searching high and low, for the the next trend, wave, or hot fashion. What they forget is that they have the power to create their own trends."

In one weeks time we've seen the state of Missouri show up and make a difference. In the same week we are blessed with the 3D masterworks High Tide video of Ron Paul. Just two weeks ago here in Missouri I sat and watched our state cordinator Deb Wells give our meetup group a training lesson on how to become a delgate and what "tricks" to be expecting at the cacaus. She flew out the door at the end of the session heading to another meetup session scheduled later that night... effort effort effort that paid off. Somewhere a couple of artists sat down and decided months ago that they would create something of significant magnatude... and by golly they did.

I'm not sure where tomorrow leads. I do know that my current idea/project is being unleashed in a week or two. I've nicknamed it "PROJECT SUNSHINE" and it's purpose is to send all the grey clouds we've had to deal with... to send those clouds over to the McCain camp...! Will "PROJECT SUNSHINE" make the waves I'm dreaming of.... I DAMN SURE HOPE IT DOES.... LOL...! ! !

Peace&Freedom
03-22-2008, 06:20 AM
My preference is that Paul run one more time in 2012, and in the meantime we focus on getting as many RP Republicans, Democrats and 3rd Party candidates in office as possible in '08 and '10. This will set the stage for a much more formidable Paul-movement presence in the GOP (at least) going into the next presidential cycle. When 2011 rolls around, Paul should do A LOT of things differently to undo the mistakes made in this campaign, including:

1) Bring in basically a complete new campaign team, a team that is 100% running to WIN from day one to election day.

2) During the exploratory phase, line up early major endorsements BEFORE formally announcing his candidacy.

3) DON'T announce his candidacy on a cable-audience only forum like C-Span, make it a major press conference where people like Buchanan, Perot, Alex Jones, an major Evangelical leader, a Second Amendment and Pro-life group leader, a Libertarian celebrity et al join him on the podium.

4) Announce on day one he is jointly running for the GOP, LP and CP nomination, and WILL be in it through Election Day 2012. This makes it clear there will be no bait and switch about what the mission is, and that he unequivocally is running to win the election from start to finish.

5) Make clear he will pursue vote fraud, and 9/11 issues (a real investigation, and prosecution of the false-flag operators) and ALL other issues of widespread concern to the liberty movement. This will make clear there will be no needless division or infighting as with this year, and to show he will be truly leading the entire movement.

6) Sponsor major Paul-friendly surveys each month, and publish results showing he is strongly placing (double digits) in many polls, thereby creating his own legitimate news wave. DON'T let the MSM control the polling as they did throughout 2007, omitting him from almost all of them so it could justify their chanting the "he's not being covered because he's only in single digits" mantra.

7) Push the precinct system from DAY ONE so activists have a year to work the neighborhoods needed to get Paul's name and message out. Get the supporters to emphasize outreach to ACTUAL VOTERS (as in broadcast TV spots and presentations at senior centers, versus cable interviews or keg parties for young non-voters).

8) Emphasize more OFFLINE organization and communication (appointing coordinators for EACH state, to have real back and forth feedback with the grassroots per state), versus further online consolidation (the echo-chamber insularity of which is now a proven failure).

9) Have a professional team develop the commercial spots, or youtube them and have the grassroots select which spots to air. Blanket the country with Paul billboards and newspaper ads, versus blimps to reach average voters. De-emphasize the legacy campaign media (as all the buttons, signs, and bumper stickers did not create votes).

10) Start the money bombs from day one, space them at least a month apart so there are constant 'bursts' of big money coming in, in addition to the steady stream of donations. This will ensure the bombs have greater impact, and keep people from going broke sending funds on frequent bombs scheduled on short notice.

11) Run 435 Ron Paul candidates for Congress in 2012, so there can be a local Paul effort in each CD to be coattailed into the national race. This will help saturate the country with Revolution campaign activity.

12) Emphasize the first 3-4 primary races to get a strong showing in at least 1 or 2 of them. If this means going near broke by the first two weeks to WIN the race, then do it in order to WIN (the wait for the others to go broke and quit/or 'tortoise beats the hare' approach, while in theory feasible, relied on too many things lining up the right way to actually pan out, as we saw this year).

There's more to brainstorm, but that's what I think to be the most important dozen 'regrouping' ideas.

m72mc
03-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Itīs already permanent. You cannot go back to not understanding or to not know the truth.
well unless you get sick anyway...
Only question is, will it continue to grow, my best guess would be yes.

TwiLeXia
03-22-2008, 10:15 PM
I still think we need to soften our message and introduce it into public opinion without the usual ridicule and contempt. For example:

1. Gold Standard. Instead of arguing for this, argue that paper money will continue being devalued as long as we treat it like the Fed does.
2. Federal Reserve. Instead of arguing for the elimination of the Fed, argue that the Fed needs to be reformed, to not print money and not lower/raise interest rates so much.
3. Department of Education. Instead of arguing for the elimination, argue that education needs to be reformed, and that the federal government isn't doing a good enough job.
4. Troops in Foreign Countries. Instead of arguing that all troops should come home, argue that unnecessary bases should be terminated.
5. Income Tax. Instead of calling for a complete extermination, call for a lowering of the income tax. It's that simple.
6. Social Programs. Instead of calling for the elimination of these programs, call for a reform (I think Dr. Paul has done this well with Social Security)

Ok so honestly I believe that if we want to get our ideas across, we need to make concessions. After these more agreeable concessions are introduced into the public mindset, it'll be much easier to say, "Ok, now that we believe the income tax should be lower... why not lower... and lower... and lower?" Or "Hmm, it does seem like bringing the troops back home hasn't caused complete chaos in their countries... let's bring more home... and more... and more." Or "Wow, the Federal reserve not interfering as much with the market is doing wonders... why don't we let them have less power... and less... ah screw it let's just get rid of them altogether?"

Do you guys see how this is a much more realistic and practical way of revolutionizing this country?

New York For Paul
03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Jack Kemp talked about the gold standard in 1988 when he ran for President. At the time, I was wondering what does that mean. The issue probably creates anxiety for many people because it sounds like a radical antiquated change.

It is a very tough issue to promote to the voter because they maybe left with more questions than answers. At that point they will vote for the safe candidate that doesn't promise too much change.

While the merits of the argument might be sound, politically speaking, the idea sounds scary to many people who have not thought about the issue. There are many voters who have not thought about the issue.

TwiLeXia
03-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Exactly... most of the voters are scared by new ideas... they don't want new ideas... just improvements on old ones.

I especially like http://www.amit08.com/ amit singh's ideas... they are more acceptable by the average person.