PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Hagel:

bszoka
03-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Sen. Chuck Hagel is making news (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j7hZmJ7DPQex9bKNG2RjXImgfzpwD8VH1I900) by calling for a third party or independent candidacy for President:

U.S. Sen. Chuck Hagel writes in a new book that the United States needs independent leadership and possibly another political party, while suggesting the Iraq war might be remembered as one of the five biggest blunders in history.
"In the current impasse, an independent candidate for the presidency, or a bipartisan unity ticket ... could be appealing to Americans," Hagel writes in "America: Our Next Chapter," due in stores Tuesday. The Associated Press obtained an advance copy.
The Nebraska Republican, who announced last year he wouldn't seek a third term or the GOP presidential nomination, had been widely mentioned as a running mate on an independent ticket with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Bloomberg said last month he wouldn't run.
Hagel said that despite holding one of the Senate's strongest records of support for President Bush, his standing as a Republican has been called into question because of his opposition to what he deems "a reckless foreign policy ... that is divorced from a strategic context."
Hagel, who's been a harsh critic of the war since 2003, writes that the invasion of Iraq was "the triumph of the so-called neoconservative ideology, as well as Bush administration arrogance and incompetence."

I have no illusions: Hagel's no Ron Paul. I would certainly support him if he ran as a third party candidate. Chuck Hagel could actually do well enough to get in the debates--and force a serious discussion about American foreign policy.

I would encourage all other Ron Paul supporters to check him out for themselves.

Thoughts?

Jeremy
03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Well three of the four bigger minor parties endorsed Paul... so this may not say much for the RP campaign exactly, but it means that they can do the same with someone who runs independent with our message in the future... if it comes to that.

forsmant
03-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Chuck Hagel is CFR and wants to create an infrastructure bank in order to build roads. I am working at his in town liaison's house remodeling.

runderwo
03-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Hagel and Gilchrest got the war right, but not out of any principle except the broken-clock principle.

LEK
03-20-2008, 04:26 PM
the Iraq war might be remembered as one of the five biggest blunders in history.

It was not a blunder. It was (is) a purposeful act of aggression - a means to a diabolical end.

nbhadja
03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Sen. Chuck Hagel is making news (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j7hZmJ7DPQex9bKNG2RjXImgfzpwD8VH1I900) by calling for a third party or independent candidacy for President:

U.S. Sen. Chuck Hagel writes in a new book that the United States needs independent leadership and possibly another political party, while suggesting the Iraq war might be remembered as one of the five biggest blunders in history.
"In the current impasse, an independent candidate for the presidency, or a bipartisan unity ticket ... could be appealing to Americans," Hagel writes in "America: Our Next Chapter," due in stores Tuesday. The Associated Press obtained an advance copy.
The Nebraska Republican, who announced last year he wouldn't seek a third term or the GOP presidential nomination, had been widely mentioned as a running mate on an independent ticket with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Bloomberg said last month he wouldn't run.
Hagel said that despite holding one of the Senate's strongest records of support for President Bush, his standing as a Republican has been called into question because of his opposition to what he deems "a reckless foreign policy ... that is divorced from a strategic context."
Hagel, who's been a harsh critic of the war since 2003, writes that the invasion of Iraq was "the triumph of the so-called neoconservative ideology, as well as Bush administration arrogance and incompetence."

I have no illusions: Hagel's no Ron Paul. I would certainly support him if he ran as a third party candidate. Chuck Hagel could actually do well enough to get in the debates--and force a serious discussion about American foreign policy.

I would encourage all other Ron Paul supporters to check him out for themselves.

Thoughts?

running mate on an independent ticket with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg?? No thanks!

he is a member of the CFR.

He has been chair of both the Senate Global Climate Change Observer Group and the Senate Oversight Task Force.

On immigration, Senator Hagel supports a "pathway to citizenship" and a "guest worker program" for illegal immigrants, which opponents call an amnesty. On May 25, 2006 he voted for S. 2611, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006, which passed the Senate before reaching a stalemate in the House in late 2006.

On June 26, Hagel joined with Senator Ted Kennedy to support the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 (S. 1639).

No offense, but this guy is McCain without the aggressive foreign policy. I can NEVER support a candidate that supports amnesty.

PennCustom4RP
03-20-2008, 04:54 PM
running mate on an independent ticket with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg?? No thanks!

He didn't say he was running, only that this country needs more than the Duopoly we have today.
This was one of Jack Caffertys questions today, and every email response to this question that was read on air, was in support of this.
The American people are fed up!

0zzy
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
You guys are all very, how we say, "OMG NO! CFRCFR! HE IS IN THE CFR!"

forsmant
03-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Well I do not want to support someone who is in the globalization think tank and a proponent of new federal banks.

0zzy
03-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Well I do not want to support someone who is in the globalization think tank and a proponent of new federal banks.

If it came down to Hagel, McCain, and Obama, I'd probably pick Hagel. Depending on his issues, I would assume he's less government than Obama. If he isn't than my god.

Andrew76
03-20-2008, 05:12 PM
And even in spite of calls like this from all across the political sprectrum, the idea of Dr. Ron Paul running as an independent remains - somehow - a controversial idea, and particularly among his supporters no less!
The nation wants an independent to run, Ron Paul could run independent and do infinitely better than anyone else mentioned so far, but almost half of his "supporters" are against the idea - even though he's virtually lost the republican nomination.
The absurdity of this situation is breathtaking. And the nation waits...

forsmant
03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
If it came down to Hagel, McCain, and Obama, I'd probably pick Hagel. Depending on his issues, I would assume he's less government than Obama. If he isn't than my god.

I would still vote Paul.

Libertarian Ideals
03-20-2008, 06:11 PM
His district dislikes him, he supports the draft (every year for many years he has introduced a bill in congress that would create a draft if passed). He receives campaign contributions from the big banks. (opensecrets.org)

Whats new?

forsmant
03-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't like him and he is in my district. Coincidently I am working at one of Hagel's employee's homes right now. We are building a small addition to his house.

0zzy
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I would still vote Paul.

Cause, ya know, he'll be on the ballot in November.

(I'm actually writing-in his name as my first symbolic vote, though.)

forsmant
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I will write him in just as I write my dad in for senator. He never wins though.

colecrowe
03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
bump

spacehabitats
03-21-2008, 06:39 AM
Sorry, CFR? No way!

Thomas Paine
03-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Senator Chuck Hagel is an honorable man.

me3
03-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Senator Chuck Hagel is an honorable man.
Oh really?

How so?