PDA

View Full Version : From action to practice...any thoughts?

MysteryGuest
03-20-2008, 07:25 AM
It's been touched on a few times in other threads, but I thought I'd start my own. I've heard a lot of very intelligent (and not so intelligent) arguments about our ideas on these forums which works for us and in attracting idealists and young people alike. However, it seems that we're going to have to show people how limited government and more freedom will work in order to gain more support from the wider population. Like it or not, most political decisions are social. Many people who consider themselves conservatives do so more because of where they live and what their minister says, not neccesarily because of lassiez-faire economics. People who consider themselves liberal do so because of who they are and what their into, not necessarily their views on government control and Keynesian economics. What we need is a culture of liberty minded people making liberty and constitutional principles their way of life. I know we've got the NH Free State and 2nd Republic in Vermont and I LOVE those movements, but we definitely need more freedom in practice in other areas of the country. I work with different communities trying to get locals more involved with city government oversight and such and it seems to me that when people are more involved in making everyday governing decisions for themselves, the freedom message isn't as foreign. I wonder if anyone else was doing something like this or had things like this underway.

acptulsa
03-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Certainly our own past is an example. Yet it gets distressingly little traction. We did without a federal Department of Education for most of the nation's history and, arguably, had better education before than since, but people who refuse to learn from history doom themselves to repeat it with the phrase, "These are different times."

Perhaps we should look for a shining example somewhere around the world today.

ronpaulhawaii
03-20-2008, 07:34 AM
At the moment I am reading up on parliamentary procedure. I figure understanding "the rules" is a first step towards being heard, and taken seriously, among TPTB.