PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Digg Submission Removed From Front Page

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Edit:
The submission was rapidly climbing in Diggs, and since Digg doesn't list any buries, either in numbers or who buried it, impossible to determine if it it was buried or an admin/mod removed it. Which they obviously do, considering the whole encryption key removal & ban fiasco...

It does show as "buried" now when you search for it (need to search "Ron Paul" 'front page' and toggle 'included buried stories' on and off - they no longer say "buried" or when it was buried I guess...)

*shrugs* shouldn't have legitimately been buried however; it was in correct category, and was a valid submission on a news item, not a random generic blog piece or anything. So either they got the bury brigade to respond in force, or some mod/admin felt like removing it, will perhaps never know.

Original post (perhaps a bit hasty):
Should be between "Ten Unsolved Mysteries Of The Brain" and "Putin bans BBC broadcasts in Russia" - Has 497 diggs, and is not buried. Was simply removed from the front page.

Unbelievable.

Digg submission: http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_wins_NH_straw_poll_2

trispear
08-18-2007, 07:40 PM
How do you tell if a story was buried off the front page or removed? (Just asking.)

Lord Xar
08-18-2007, 07:47 PM
http://www.folksonomy.org/2006/10/interview_with_digg/

that is the owner of digg, I think he lives in san fran - go figure.

jpa
08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
you can't tell.

Most likely pulled for spam fraud. If too many accounts that vote identically vote on the same story, the story gets pulled and the accounts get disabled. Also has to do with how many new accounts vote on this story first.

Digg has a bunch of anti-abuse checks, this story may have triggered it.

UCFGavin
08-18-2007, 08:39 PM
sorry, but we use digg way too much. every single story is there to be dugg. i wouldn't be on the "bury brigade" but i certainly think we need to chill out with it.

UtahApocalypse
08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
sorry, but we use digg way too much. every single story is there to be dugg. i wouldn't be on the "bury brigade" but i certainly think we need to chill out with it.

Amen

Omnis
08-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Digg-- capitalizing on other people's work.

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 09:15 PM
who is "we"? I use digg as an individual. I take orders from no man nor woman.

people digg what they like, if something is popular, well then it's popular because it is popular.

I somehow doubt the "we" people who like iPhones, or CSS, or Photoshop, or interesting [PIC], or Linux, or who hate Microsoft, or the RIAA are grouping together to tell themselves to not digg stories that they are interested in, because by gosh, that'd just be too much... *rolls eyes*

It's digg, you like what you like, you digg what you "dig", there are no meta-rules.

UCFGavin
08-18-2007, 09:18 PM
who is "we"? I use digg as an individual. I take orders from no man nor woman.

people digg what they like, if something is popular, well then it's popular because it is popular.

I somehow doubt the "we" people who like iPhones, or CSS, or Photoshop, or interesting [PIC], or Linux, or who hate Microsoft, or the RIAA are grouping together to tell themselves to not digg stories that they are interested in, because by gosh, that'd just be too much... *rolls eyes*

It's digg, you like what you like, you digg what you "dig", there are no meta-rules.

this is true. however, when every single article is posted here for people to digg, there is no wonder why there is actually a "bury brigade". if the actual real worthwhile stuff was posted (like the straw poll results) it would work better in our favor.

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey I certainly don't digg a ton of Ron Paul articles because they are crap or blog spam, or have already hit (and stayed) on the front page, or because they are old (like vids of Ron from like July or something).

I'll even bury submissions that have been submitted a lot and just cruised through without being dugg a lot, meaning more than likely no one is interested.

But to intentionally bury stories that were made popular simply to prevent exposure, or to bury re-submits of stories that were made popular and almost immediately buried by the bury brigade without just cause, well that's just being a shit head. A shit head member themselves of the the bury brigade - i.e. one who buries without a just cause, simply to bury. That there are too many stories in your opinion, or that you don't like the content is not a valid reason to bury a story IMO. You just read on. Same people who hate the 1st amendment because it allows speech they don't like - I feel the same way about the bury brigade, trying to stifle speech they disagree with - disgusts me.