PDA

View Full Version : Daylight wasting time.

Dr.3D
03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
At least that is what I call it.

Every year, when I get up to go to work in the morning, it is dark and just as the sun starts to come up so I can drive to work without my headlights on, they change to the Daylight Saving Time and again I have to drive to work in the dark.

Not only that, I have to go to bed while it is still light and listen to all the noise outdoors the kids are making while trying to get to sleep so I can get up in the morning.

Why is it the government seems to think it has the authority to change what time people go to work every day?

Is it because they want to be like gods and control the time?

Wouldn't it be better if they just let businesses change the time their workers went to work if they thought it would 'save energy'?

What is with this Daylight Saving Time crap anyway?

nate895
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
You seem like an ornery old coot (no offense).

Dr.3D
03-19-2008, 04:08 PM
You seem like an ornery old coot (no offense).

Yeah, I could just kick the idiot who came up with the idea of changing the clocks twice a year.

Dr.3D
03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
So I take it everybody is happy that the government dictates to the states they have to reset their clocks twice a year?

Go figure.... I thought Ron Paul people would be upset with the idea of the government telling the states what they have to do.

liberteebell
03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Dr3D,

I hate it. It messes with my body clock so badly, I'm not completely right for about 3 weeks after the time change. Some who know me think I'm not right most of the time but whatever :p

Zippyjuan
03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Daylight Saving Time is not required. Arizona does not use neither does Hawaii. Indiana just started using it in 2005. http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html
Maybe we should have Ron Paul Competing Clocks where people set their clocks to whatever time they want to and see what time becomes standard.

Dr.3D
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Sometimes I wonder if it is accepted so easily because so many people have 9 to 5 jobs and like to get in an extra hole of golf after work.

I don't believe they had golf back when that idiot came up with the idea of it though.
Of course they didn't have many people working on shifts back then either.

FrankRep
03-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I could just kick the idiot who came up with the idea of changing the clocks twice a year.

Benjamin Franklin

http://inventors.about.com/od/fstartinventors/ss/Franklin_invent_6.htm

sophocles07
03-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Maybe we should have Ron Paul Competing Clocks where people set their clocks to whatever time they want to and see what time becomes standard.

haha...

competing clocks

nate895
03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Daylight Saving Time is not required. Arizona does not use neither does Hawaii. Indiana just started using it in 2005. http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html

I think that take the free market just a bit too far.

Banana
03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Personally, I'd rather that we disperse with DST. It serves no useful function other than to wreak havoc with people's biological clock. The whole idea of 'daylight saving' is done wrong- when we fall back an hour, it's dark too early for kids after school and adults after work and the extra sunlight is wasted because kids/adults are too busy getting to school/work.

nate895
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Personally, I'd rather that we disperse with DST. It serves no useful function other than to wreak havoc with people's biological clock. The whole idea of 'daylight saving' is done wrong- when we fall back an hour, it's dark too early for kids after school and adults after work and the extra sunlight is wasted because kids/adults are too busy getting to school/work.

The whole idea of DST is to conserve power, now anyway. It was originally implemented so that soldiers would have more time to fight on the battlefield.

Banana
03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Yes, I am aware of its history, especially that it's a man-manufactured idea in middle of world war.

And what conservation? People are more likely to be doing something in afternoons than in mornings, and having more sunlight in afternoons means more opportunity to go outside, and it'd balance out anyway.

nate895
03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Yes, I am aware of its history, especially that it's a man-manufactured idea in middle of world war.

And what conservation? People are more likely to be doing something in afternoons than in mornings, and having more sunlight in afternoons means more opportunity to go outside, and it'd balance out anyway.

That is the idea, you stay outside in the afternoon, or there is enough light in your home, so you do not use as much power.

Banana
03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
That is the idea, you stay outside in the afternoon, or there is enough light in your home, so you do not use as much power.

Well, they're doing it backward.

When we fall back in fall, mornings are now suddenly brighter prior to the change and we have sunset at 4-ish PM.

If they wanted to do it right, they should actually spring forward in fall, so we have sunset at 6 PM. However, the sunrise would be at 9 or so.

nate895
03-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Well, they're doing it backward.

When we fall back in fall, mornings are now suddenly brighter prior to the change and we have sunset at 4-ish PM.

If they wanted to do it right, they should actually spring forward in fall, so we have sunset at 6 PM. However, the sunrise would be at 9 or so.

The reason they do it in summer is because there is an increase in cooling demand on power, while in winter most homes do not use electricity to heat their homes, they use some other energy source, so it would lead to a complete overload in the system for a good 2-3 hours if there wasn't DST.

Lois
03-20-2008, 09:19 AM
That reminds me of what my 12 year old daughter said when we changed the clocks --

She asked who came up with Daylight Savings Time and I said the Government. And she said 'If Ron Paul was President, he would get rid of Daylight Savings Time."

Banana
03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Lois, that's adorable.

But not to rain on her parade, but I think this is decided by states, not Federal government...

Mopsus
03-20-2008, 09:32 AM
In Indiana, we're a big hub for FedEx....you know, the get it there before 10:00 A.M. option people. DST was said to save them tens of millions of Dollars.

You don't suppose that has anything to do with it?

Fox McCloud
03-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I really don't like the idea, in my honest opinion, it's just the the US Government trying to play god (little "g" :P). It may not have originally started out that way, but it's slowly morphed into that. Sure, it's fun changing the clocks at 2AM (does anyone else actually do that like I do?), but overall, I think the entire thing is a fiasco.

Plus, I'm wary of changing dates and times...doesn't the Bible mention something about the anti-christ doing something like that?

orolonn
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
I hate the time changes. It takes forever to get used to the new times. I head to work at around 3am so I'd be more than happy if they would quit messing with my sleep!

PennCustom4RP
03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
The whole idea of DST is to conserve power, now anyway. It was originally implemented so that soldiers would have more time to fight on the battlefield.

Not true...as far as the soldier goes... it isn't like there is more daylight created, there is the same number of daylight hours per day, regardless of what number on a watch is assigned to it. A soldier doesn't care what the hour says, fight when light, or dark, it matters not.

It does conserve electricity though.

As another poster stated, it was for 'that extra hole of golf'. In the nicer summer weather, when most worked 9-5 (back in the day), it allowed Dads (many of which had been away fighting WW2, and were the only primary bread winners) to be able to spend time with their kids and wives, BBQ or whatever outside. This was post WW2, the dawn of "Suburbia' . Kids could stay out and come home when 'the streetlights came on' during summer. In winter, not many do the outside activities, so if its dark earlier, who cares.
This is the Post War boon, the 50s ideals, Leave it to Beaver and the Brady Bunch, the landscape I grew up in...
The time change is basically unnecessary today, no one works 9-5, most work 60hours+ just to get by...go to and from work, in the dark...and kids sit inside playing video games, because its too scary and dangerous to play outside.
This messes up my internal clock too for a few weeks, but I manage, and adjust...I like the extended summer hours I get to spend with my kids.

Another antiquated idea is the return to school/school out for summer schedule, that is based on the harvest. Southern states start earlier(May) and get out earlier(Aug) as it warms up earlier there. The more north you go, the later this schedule is...I grew up with start in September, end in mid June.

Carole
03-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I did not know that, but am not surprised. He was such a practical man about many things.

Times were quite different. Candle wax likely expensive, that sort of thing. :)

In today's world it is not so important when you work. After all some places work round the clock.

Daylight savings time isn't really saving energy is it? Either lights in the morning when it is dark as you dress for work or lights at night when you come home from work? What is the difference?

I think our use of DST must have more to do with gaining an extra hour in the business day somehow to deal with London or other countries across the world. Isn't it likely that this accomodation is more for businessmen than anyone else?

Maybe I will google it. :D

JosephTheLibertarian
03-20-2008, 06:32 PM
So I take it everybody is happy that the government dictates to the states they have to reset their clocks twice a year?

Go figure.... I thought Ron Paul people would be upset with the idea of the government telling the states what they have to do.

Uh no. I never supported it, it's not really needed anymore anyway.

oyarde
03-12-2017, 01:10 PM
///

Swordsmyth
03-16-2017, 08:34 PM
I have said before let's get Rand/Dump/Anybody to get rid of it OR make it year round.