PDA

View Full Version : Getting Dental Work in Mexico?

ghemminger
03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
I have insurance - even then they like charge $40-$80 percavity and $100s more for extra procedures....

My wife's family has been getting all their dental and ortho work done in Mexico...

Wondered if anyone had any experience with it... or for that matter buying anything else...

angelatc
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Why don't you ask your wife's family?

ghemminger
03-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Why don't you ask your wife's family?

I've been trying to reach them thier cells were just cancelled and the home lines too - I know they were being forclosed on... can't reach them....

Dr.3D
03-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I got some glasses there, they were great. I don't think dental would be much different.

Nirvikalpa
03-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Here's an article I found: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/12/20/121018/65

Hope that helps... I personally haven't had any experience with it.

ghemminger
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Here's an article I found: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/12/20/121018/65

Hope that helps... I personally haven't had any experience with it.

thanks

Zippyjuan
03-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Mexico has good and bad quality. If you can get a friend to recommend someone you will probably be fine. Find out too if what they charge you is less than your uninsured portion here costs you.

eduardo89
05-03-2014, 02:15 PM
I got my wisdom teeth taken out in Mexico about 10 years ago.

mrsat_98
05-03-2014, 02:17 PM
i was happy with mine.

Zippyjuan
05-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Reviving a four year old thread?

RJB
05-03-2014, 02:52 PM
I hear they have good dental in the prison system.

outspoken
05-03-2014, 10:05 PM
I am a US Dentist. Dental insurance is not insurance at all. Most plans cap out $1000 or $1500 which is the antithesis of the definition of insurance. I am all of competition and by all means go have you work done there. Why not just move there since the cost of living is much cheaper? Do a thorough investigation of the dentist you select. I have seen some horrendous work done by foreign dentists and caution those considering. Foreign dental training is much different and below the standards we have here. If you are looking to get multiple implants and looking at a treatment plan of $10k it may be worth it in the right instance. Often dental work done needs follow up or adjustments due to your bite or other factors. A poorly placed filling can lead to a necessary root canal or loss of the tooth. I would say it is not worth it just for some minor work under $2k. I'd you are looking at more than that at least research well the dentist you choose and don't go with the cheapest... Dentistry is not a commodity as there are good dentists and really bad ones. You might just want to get a second opinion of a local dentist in case you stumbled on one trying to service his 400k student loan with your mouth. :)

Origanalist
05-03-2014, 10:11 PM
I am a US Dentist. Dental insurance is not insurance at all. Most plans cap out $1000 or $1500 which is the antithesis of the definition of insurance. I am all of competition and by all means go have you work done there. Why not just move there since the cost of living is much cheaper? Do a thorough investigation of the dentist you select. I have seen some horrendous work done by foreign dentists and caution those considering. Foreign dental training is much different and below the standards we have here. If you are looking to get multiple implants and looking at a treatment plan of $10k it may be worth it in the right instance. Often dental work done needs follow up or adjustments due to your bite or other factors. A poorly placed filling can lead to a necessary root canal or loss of the tooth. I would say it is not worth it just for some minor work under $2k. I'd you are looking at more than that at least research well the dentist you choose and don't go with the cheapest... Dentistry is not a commodity as there are good dentists and really bad ones. You might just want to get a second opinion of a local dentist in case you stumbled on one trying to service his 400k student loan with your mouth. :)

Good advice. If you are looking at a major amount it would be worth it, but you better research heavily before you do. I believe it's called medical tourism.

Bryan
05-03-2014, 10:16 PM

This seems to be a trend this week. :)

Bryan
05-03-2014, 10:19 PM

+1 on good advice, and lol on the last statement.

RJB
05-03-2014, 10:27 PM

Ed and George communicate in a time warp.

Origanalist
05-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Ed and George communicate in a time warp.

Who's George?

RJB
05-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Who's George?

The OP. There is a thread about him calling a fake bomb threat somewhere.

RJB
05-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Here it is: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?449982-Anyone-remember-ghemminger-Arrested-for-calling-in-a-school-bomb-threat&highlight=ghemminger+bomb

It's the reason I joked about prison dental