PDA

View Full Version : Tippecanoe County Straw Poll Results

akovacs
08-18-2007, 06:30 PM
For those that aren't familiar with Indiana, Tippecanoe county covers Lafayette and West Lafayette (Home of Purdue University). We had a straw poll today and there were a few lessons that our meetup learned that I think others should learn as well. First, the results:

Romney/F. Thompson - 26.8%
Rudolph Giuliani - 14.5%
Ron Paul/Huckabee - 11.7%
John McCain - 3.9%
Samuel Brownback - 2.2%
Hunter/Tancredo - 1.1%

So as you can see, we didn't do so hot. Couple of lessons here:

1. Each candidate was allotted 10 minutes for a video. We were going to show "Stop Dreaming" as ours, but then the video guy insisted that we needed something high resolution, even though he showed other youtube clips. We ended up showing part of the google interview, and that portion only covered Iraq. We should've been adamant in showing the video we wanted.

2. We were in a gymnasium, and the acoustics sucked. It was hard to understand the spoken words in the videos, so people consequently ignored them. Again, the video we wanted may have solved this problem since it has text in it.

3. Our House representative (Buyer) made an appearance, and made a 10 minute speech about how great Thompson is, how awesome it was to work with him, etc. They then showed a 10 minute video of Thompson. After it was over, he then talked for another 5-10 minutes about how awesome he is. Not much we could have done about this.

Romney folk were also here. They were well prepared. One guy did seem interested in Paul though (He was asking about Fairtax). Overall most people were polite and took pamphlets. I'm hoping that many decide to look him up after they get home.

HammerDR
08-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I hate Buyer. He's my Rep and he's so pompous that I voted against him despite his views. That's bad politics, I know, but I cannot stand to have him ignore and dismiss a few High School kids that are pleading for him to reinstate the funding for the CCE which just happened to be cut. It's a very small organization that does wonders--it runs the We the People program that actually educated me about the Constitution, the Founders, etc.

Hendricks County, here, by the way.

robatsu
08-18-2007, 09:25 PM
To be honest with you, I figure RP's real world support among repubs is somewher in the 5-10% range, this poll works with that. Phone polls underestimate, straw poll overestimate, internet overestimates more, although straw polls definitely show how many people you can get to show up and pull alever, click abox or whatnot, so they are pretty cool.

Keep at it, and keep all these different descriptors in mind.