PDA

View Full Version : Social Lending - The end of Bankers power

mcgraw_wv
03-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, recently I have just stumbled apon LendingClub.com, it got me thinking. I can borrow from other people at rates lower than banks, and I can lend money at rates better than CDs / Savings Accounts...

All without any MAJOR bank involved.

This got me really thinking... If we can push the social lending ideas, we as a community can wean ourselves off the Bankers power system of interest and debt. I much rather be in debt to my fellow Americans, than some heartless power broker.

To me...
Social Lending is to the Banking System as youTube is to the Mainstream Media

I hope to use LendingClub.com for all my borrowing needs for the rest of my life, and all of my disposable income will become available to loan to my fellow patriots.

I jsut wanted to tell everyone about it, becuase I think it really is the answer to the revolution in regards to marginalizing the banks, and the Feds power. Let's simply stop using them to live.

If you have credit cards, cash them in with a social lending fund, anything that you are paying insane rates, and no hope of getting out of, why not be in debt to someone, most like 120 someones, rather than the system...

me3
03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Reads like spam to me...

mcgraw_wv
P.S. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

mcgraw_wv
Reads like spam to me...

I knew it would....
But it really is a way to remove ourselves from the bankers control... is it not? Return the power back to people for the people, by the people...

me3
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I knew it would....
But it really is a way to remove ourselves from the bankers control... is it not? Return the power back to people for the people, by the people...
We don't need you to spam for that.

Now you are using this forum to conduct business through.

*REPORTED*

mcgraw_wv
03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
First off...

I am not affiliated with that site in any shape form or fashion...

It does fill a need that MANY on here have a large issue with and that is the strangle hold mega banks, and the federal reserve have over us as a society.

So take it for whatever it is... don't whine... jsut don't read it if you don't like it.

I for one am very concered with the Federal reserve, and debt, and slavery of Americans, so for me, when I found this, this was a huge win... so im passing it on.

Your response is reason #235 why these boards have gone so far down hill...
I would heop we as a movement look for things that can help shocase change in the status qou and challenge the tradional powers at all angles.

Shink
03-19-2008, 11:56 AM
me3 is eternally posturing for a moderator position, don't pay too much heed to it. The point of your post appears to be to discuss private lending. I think it's a very good idea. An idea I've had is to create a FULL RESERVE bank. Not the fractional reserve thieving bullshit. I just don't know what, if any, laws are in place that I'd have to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if the FDIC has some method of shutting such a bank down.

mcgraw_wv
03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Shrink, there would be nothing as way of laws for you to enter into Private contract with someone to loan / store their money.

As a business, without fractional practices, I do not see how you could make enough money. One default could cause you to crash.

People store 1000.00 in your vault.

You loan 800.00 becuase you can only loan what you have ( anti -fractional ) and then they default... the other people want their 1000.00 back... your sunk.

However, loaning and borrowing money on person to person basis seems like a perfect way to circumvent all the usual credit traps like credit cards.

Plus, just because I lent money via a web site to someone doesn't give me the right to loan out 9 times that of which I don't have...

I do feel that, liek youTube changed the media, social lending can change the banking industry. I feel as though banks would crumble and fall daily as more and more people rather go indebt to people, rather than heartless power and money hungry corporations... Plus its cheaper!

Meekus
03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
me3 is eternally posturing for a moderator position, don't pay too much heed to it. The point of your post appears to be to discuss private lending. I think it's a very good idea. An idea I've had is to create a FULL RESERVE bank. Not the fractional reserve thieving bullshit. I just don't know what, if any, laws are in place that I'd have to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if the FDIC has some method of shutting such a bank down.

Sounds interesting. But with the whole Liberty Dollar fiasco, I'd be a bit careful. The federal government seems to watch these things very closely and are very quick to call shenanigans. I think RP even said some laws were misused to justify taking down Liberty Dollar.

mcgraw_wv
03-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't understand what you mean by a Full Reserve, you can't compete with the FED REserve because you haven't been written into the federal reserve act.... so the only thing I can think your saying is you want to become a bank, that doesn't partake in the chenangians that other banks do?

Whcih means you will most likely go out of business for not taking advantage of the rules that everyone else is...

Meekus
03-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Shrink, there would be nothing as way of laws for you to enter into Private contract with someone to loan / store their money.

As a business, without fractional practices, I do not see how you could make enough money. One default could cause you to crash.

You loan 800.00 becuase you can only loan what you have ( anti -fractional ) and then they default... the other people want their 1000.00 back... your sunk.

However, loaning and borrowing money on person to person basis seems like a perfect way to circumvent all the usual credit traps like credit cards.

Plus, just because I lent money via a web site to someone doesn't give me the right to loan out 9 times that of which I don't have...

I do feel that, liek youTube changed the media, social lending can change the banking industry. I feel as though banks would crumble and fall daily as more and more people rather go indebt to people, rather than heartless power and money hungry corporations... Plus its cheaper!

I was looking at prosper.com and I must say the notion intrigued me. The only thing I would be uncomfortable with in borrowing from something like that is how much of your personal information would become public to the lenders. I just have a vision of someone who contributed $50 dollars towards a $1000 loan would suddenly feel entitled to call the borrower when they were a day late with a payment.

RonPaulVolunteer
03-19-2008, 12:11 PM
We don't need you to spam for that.

Now you are using this forum to conduct business through.

*REPORTED*

Lighten up for Pete's sake, you're sounding like a fascist.

mcgraw_wv
03-19-2008, 12:15 PM
I was looking at prosper.com and I must say the notion intrigued me. The only thing I would be uncomfortable with in borrowing from something like that is how much of your personal information would become public to the lenders. I just have a vision of someone who contributed $50 dollars towards a $1000 loan would suddenly feel entitled to call the borrower when they were a day late with a payment.

As a lender on lendingClub.com ...

I can see your screen name
Credit Score
Revolving credit utilization
Monthly Gross Income
If you ar erenting or own a home
Last time you were delienquent on a payment

No address, no phone, no email... there is a private question and answer board per loan to find out more...

The trick is though... how the heck and im going to figure out that your screen name is your real name... ya know? I simply know this screen names credit score, in other words you can become quite annoymous.

Great thing to me, is if someone defaults, oit goes on their credit report, so it's not liek peopel can just borrow a ton of cash and disappear... if you care about your credit, you need to pay...

I think it's a greta attack on traditional banking and the power that big bankers have over the people.

Cleaner44
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Sounds interesting. But with the whole Liberty Dollar fiasco, I'd be a bit careful. The federal government seems to watch these things very closely and are very quick to call shenanigans. I think RP even said some laws were misused to justify taking down Liberty Dollar.

Liberty Dollar did nothing wrong. The theft of their property and the property of Liberty Dollar holders was an unlawful retaliation by the government for a lawsuit that Liberty Dollar had filed. There were no shenanigans by Liberty Dollar.

If anyone knows of any law that would prevent me from loaning money to a friend please post that information for all to see.

jmag
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm a lender for Prosper now and like it. My bank offers some insult like 0.25% for savings account. Needless to say I keep no savings there. I don't think lenders get all the personal info of the borrowers - it's done through the company who contracts with collection agencies and does credit reporting. Seems they've dotted all their i's.

mavtek
03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm also a lender on prosper.com. I have been for over 2 years now and now I'm also a group leader.

If you would like to become a lender let me know and I can get you a free $25.

me3
03-19-2008, 12:49 PM
me3 is eternally posturing for a moderator position, don't pay too much heed to it.
I have absolutely no interest in a moderator position. I wouldn't take one here if I was paid to do so.

Lighten up for Pete's sake, you're sounding like a fascist.
Apparently you don't even know what a fascist is.

I know a little something about spam, and the OP reads like a spam post. Then the inevitable, "contact me by PM if you want to know more" is the classic divide and close the sale tactic.

Maybe the OP is genuine. In that case, it is an amazing coincidence that he uses classic social sales techniques.

Your response is reason #235 why these boards have gone so far down hill...
BS. When I joined, people were afire with ideas and fund raisers. It was about doing things on a daily basis, not trying to angle for power or to create sub-organizations. It wasn't about relentlessly whining about other candidates, it was all about Ron Paul.

I would heop we as a movement look for things that can help shocase change in the status qou and challenge the tradional powers at all angles.
I would hope we as a movement would recognize that every kind of wannebee liberty huckster is going to come on these forums and sell a product, farm email addresses, and provide disinfo.

Now maybe social lending is worth thinking about. But statements like

I hope to use LendingClub.com for all my borrowing needs for the rest of my life, and all of my disposable income will become available to loan to my fellow patriots.

Reads like bad advertising copy

and

Is how you separate people from the herd and direct them through an affiliate program.

I realize, some people will cry that this is ok. Well, if Josh and Bryan check it out and the OP is legit, including whatever he wants to communicate by PM, then I'm ok with it too.

Otherwise, it looks like spam.

Shink
03-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I have absolutely no interest in a moderator position. I wouldn't take one here if I was paid to do so.Then stop backseat moderating. Most forums have rules against it, and for good reason. Whether this one does or does not, your INCESSANT backseat mod posts are extremely irritating. You can simply report posts and have a moderator deal with such things.

To clarify: I don't have hardly ANY money, let alone enough to start a bank. If I was going to start one, I'd need to find some wealthy person and cut some sort of deal. Or I could be ironic and moronic and get a bank loan. :P

Anyway, I think it would require a lot of planning and suggestions from smart businessfolk. I don't think making such a bank work/lucrative is an impossible thing, but you are right; it would be a challenge. I would think methods could be devised to keep a full reserve in place. Transaction fees could be competitive, but probably always a bit higher than the other banks.

I don't know, I just think that if a full reserve bank sprang up and turned a profit, it could be a great victory against the big banking interests. I'd use it to educate the public, I'd probably sell commodities on the side, and it could be an amazing tool.

Banana
03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Ideally, I should be able to delegate the loaning responsibility to banks who are more knowledgeable and judicial in assessing a loan's risk than I would be or could be interested in.

Does this kind of thing means I no longer delegate that responsibility? Not saying that it's bad thing, only wanted to know if I didn't have the appetite, could I entrust someone else to do the assessment?

mcgraw_wv
03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
I have absolutely no interest in a moderator position. I wouldn't take one here if I was paid to do so.

Apparently you don't even know what a fascist is.

I know a little something about spam, and the OP reads like a spam post. Then the inevitable, "contact me by PM if you want to know more" is the classic divide and close the sale tactic.

Maybe the OP is genuine. In that case, it is an amazing coincidence that he uses classic social sales techniques.

BS. When I joined, people were afire with ideas and fund raisers. It was about doing things on a daily basis, not trying to angle for power or to create sub-organizations. It wasn't about relentlessly whining about other candidates, it was all about Ron Paul.

I would hope we as a movement would recognize that every kind of wannebee liberty huckster is going to come on these forums and sell a product, farm email addresses, and provide disinfo.

Now maybe social lending is worth thinking about. But statements like

Reads like bad advertising copy

and

Is how you separate people from the herd and direct them through an affiliate program.

I realize, some people will cry that this is ok. Well, if Josh and Bryan check it out and the OP is legit, including whatever he wants to communicate by PM, then I'm ok with it too.

Otherwise, it looks like spam.

I read it as I'm a little corny sometimes, and that having peopel contact me instead of bogging down the board with indivdual questions was a GOOD thing...

And as you see, the idea, and liberty in social lending... is VERY popular, and many of us have discovered it as a way to rise above what we see...

Seriously... sometimes people are corny...

Sorry if it read bad...

But I still stand by, I will use social networking for all my needs as far as needed capital goes.

OptionsTrader
03-19-2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.prosper.com

angelatc
03-19-2008, 12:58 PM

In "It's a Wonderful Life" the people were required to give a certain amount of notice to the buildling and loan before they withdrew all their money.

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-19-2008, 12:59 PM
M3, read it again!

That was NOT spam.

He's excited about this sweet way to boycott big bankers.

mcgraw_wv
03-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Ideally, I should be able to delegate the loaning responsibility to banks who are more knowledgeable and judicial in assessing a loan's risk than I would be or could be interested in.

Does this kind of thing means I no longer delegate that responsibility? Not saying that it's bad thing, only wanted to know if I didn't have the appetite, could I entrust someone else to do the assessment?

Well at lendingClub, they rank the loans for you

A1,A2,A3
B1,B2,B3
C1,C2,ect....

So basically, the person who only wants 1000.00 and have good credit, and small credit ultization is going to be a A loan. however you wont make as much money off loaning them money.

Basically... if you simply want to make safe investments, you cna rely on the laon scores and just invest in A1 loans... there aren't too many of those...

I understand what your thinking, you want a bank to do it for you... when they do, you get 0.25 in your savings account, while they make 10% on your money...

If you take 5 minutes to research a loan, you make 10% and they make nothing...

Completely cut out the bank.

angelatc
03-19-2008, 01:02 PM
But how do you know that they're really investing the money where they say they are?

mcgraw_wv
03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
But how do you know that they're really investing the money where they say they are?

You don't...
Don't get me wrong, there is risk...

If we knew, we might even give better rates... For example, Housing rates are so low because you are buying something with value... 6% for housing, good luck getting 6% on a personal unsecured loan.

These sites are more for personal loans, credit consolidation, ect...

I personally do not lend to anyone requesting over 15k becuase someone who needs to go to the internet for that kind of money, really screwed up.

So I stick with a lot of small loans to hedge and blend my rate of return and protect against default.

Hook
03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Already things like this called thrift banks. And they are even legit.

You are never going to compete with the Fed unless you can counterfeit money from thin air as well as they can, and you don't get caught.

ghemminger
03-19-2008, 02:11 PM
PM if you want to sponsor me for prosper.com or other lending sites - I'm interested

ghemminger
03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
My wealthy friend makes all of his money in this way - he lends re investors the full amount on property investments and takes back a 1st trust deed - he charges somethings like 10 pts and 10%

Deborah K
03-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Speaking of fractional reserve banking...last week my husband went to the bank to pull out 6k and the bank didn't have it.........:eek:

Deborah K
03-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Already things like this called thrift banks. And they are even legit.

You are never going to compete with the Fed unless you can counterfeit money from thin air as well as they can, and you don't get caught.

Yeah, but they can't stop us from starting "survivalist" meet up groups in our communities that use the bartering system and gold and silver for trading purposes amongst ourselves...if we all did it through our Ron Paul meet ups as well as getting the ham radio clubs, gun clubs and associations, minutemen, etc. involved in each of our communities, it could be big.

Broadlighter
03-19-2008, 04:21 PM
How about doing this? Lend out the money at no interest. That'll really mess with the banks.

Perhaps you can charge a transaction fee, due at the retirement of the loan for profit, but seriously, the money is all at risk in this kind of deal. The Fed creates non-risk money, meaning, no one has earned it the time it's loaned out.

Sarge
03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
have been intensively studying both sites today.

I lean towards the LendingClub for the following reasons.

FDIC insured on your cash in your accounts. They use Wells Fargo. They pursue defaults on payments. They explain their charges where the other site does not comment on any of these issues.

I must say it got my attention as a way to loan money at a better rate of interest. One must do their research before you invest, and check out the credit scores of those seeking loans and your ability to take risk. Spreading your risk over several requests for loans might off set any defaults.

I will say the second site gave more information on defaults against total loans than LendingClub. LendingClub did not detail that information.

The second site was clear on the debt to income, which in my opinion which can help an investor.

Both sites offer an opportunity, but all should study well before plunking any money down.

I did see some plunking money down on requests for loans on the second site where I would not touch them with a 20 foot pole. Their site was easier to read to pick that up.

Just beware, but the right site, and the right reasons might make for some profits and help others.

Just IMHO.

forsmant
03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Prosper.com are unsecured loans. That means if they default you are screwed.

A full reserve bank should not loan out its deposits, that makes it a fractional reserve bank. If the Full reserve bank wants to make loans, it would have to with its own money or allow its depositors to share the risk like prosper.com. Upon default, both the bank and its depository investors lose money, but they gain total control of the collateral used in the loan. Much of the losses could be recouped upon liquidation of those assets.

Full reserve banking is discussed in this thread
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=125451

Hook
03-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah, but they can't stop us from starting "survivalist" meet up groups in our communities that use the bartering system and gold and silver for trading purposes amongst ourselves...if we all did it through our Ron Paul meet ups as well as getting the ham radio clubs, gun clubs and associations, minutemen, etc. involved in each of our communities, it could be big.

Yes you can, but there is no way you can compete on a yield basis with a bank that can print the money. You have substantial risk because you had to earn the money you lend, and therefore need to charge a higher interest rate to make enough money over the long run to make it worth your while. Meanwhile the Fed can just print up some money and lend it out with no more risk than the cost of the ink to print the money. So they can charge below-market interest and still make money.

When the Fed lowers interest to 2%, how are you going to compete with that? Even if you get 5%, you are actually loosing money in terms of real value due to inflation.

The central bankers have it all figured out so that you can never beat them at their game legitimately. The only way you are going to win is if people loose faith in the currency to the point that they will only use gold.

mcvac
03-19-2008, 08:01 PM
This is what the Vietnamese do...I know the community pretty well...They do not trust our banking system...so a group of elders act as bankers and hold the money...When someone wants a grocery or nail shop...it's lent out of the pool...I am sure though that defaulting on this group is very ugly though....

bomybomy
03-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Yes, I think that can fund the $1 Billion dollars per day in mortgages that fund!

Ron LOL
03-19-2008, 11:05 PM
There's a more popular version of this idea called, IIRC, Prosper...it's interesting, because when you don't have collection agencies at your disposal, suddenly "credit worthy" becomes a much more difficult thing to be.

IPSecure
03-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Let's go for the "Ron Paul Revolution Bank & Trust"!

Have our own currency like the BerkShares...

BerkShares: Local Currency for the Berkshire Region
http://www.berkshares.org/

mcgraw_wv
03-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Here is where I think the major theme of banking independence comes from using these sites.

When more and more people start using these sites, traditional banks are losing their markup on lonns from the Fed. People are paying off deb from banks to consolodate with social lending, which removes money from banks, which based on fractional lending, for every dollar you remove from their hands, thats 10.00 they can't lend out.

Now they are borrowing money fromt he Fed, they are having a harder and harder time lending it out for profit, interest rates drop to attract business, and their profits drop...

Then when people realize that we as a society is far better off leaning on ourselves than corporations, banks will start dropping off as competition for lending money eats away at teh bloated system...

What will eb left is a few mega banks that cater to corporate lending for business while the home lending and personal loan lending basically is regulated to people to people lending...