PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy/sell gold (coins and watches)?

terlinguatx
03-19-2008, 10:57 AM

ARealConservative
03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed ad -nauseum, but I'd appreciate a link to any informative threads or websites. This questions applies to coins, watches, and collectible gold coins.

I have never sold any of my physical holdings, but I sure have researched it.

The first thing I would do is ask some of my acquaintances if they are looking to increase their holdings. I have bought off of them before and we just agree on a compromise price between what the local dealer is buying and selling at.

If that won't work, it looks like I can still slightly beat my local dealer buy price by selling on ebay and paying the commission, but not by much. I might find for expediency to just go to a local dealer if option 1 doesn't pan out and I needed "money" fast.

terlinguatx
03-19-2008, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE

ARealConservative
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
How does it work? Does the dealer just give you the spot rate quoted on TV minus a commision? How much is commission typically?

It is typical to get pretty close to the spot price when you sell to a dealer. It is when you buy coins that you pay a premium around 4-6%, and maybe more depending on the coin. This site gives a pretty good example of buy/sell values: http://www.apmex.com/APMEXTop40/Default.aspx

I don't know how watches and jewelry work, I imagine it is a wide range based on the intrinsic value of the item outside of the melt value, is it an antique, etc, etc. You might want to get a couple offers on jewelry.

MNPaulguy
03-20-2008, 01:59 PM
If you wanna buy bullion www.kitco.com is a good resource. I'm just getting into it. My co-worker does it though.

We have a coin dealer close to my work in Minneapolis, But, buying online keeps me out of sales tax.