PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first shotgun

PAULinSC
03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
About a month ago, I purchased my first firearm, a Springfield XD40 4".

I seem to have gotten the gun fever now as I'm now looking at getting a shotgun. I'm giving my wife the excuse that I'm going turkey hunting in a few weeks, and I hate always having to borrow other friends guns.

So this is what I'm leaning towards:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/supernova.tpl

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/supernova2.jpg

A good friend has the same shotgun and recommended it, but it seems like the big debate on the net is the nova/supernova vs. the 870.

Any thoughts?

maeqFREEDOMfree
03-19-2008, 09:28 AM
About a month ago, I purchased my first firearm, a Springfield XD40 4".

I seem to have gotten the gun fever now as I'm now looking at getting a shotgun. I'm giving my wife the excuse that I'm going turkey hunting in a few weeks, and I hate always having to borrow other friends guns.

So this is what I'm leaning towards:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/supernova.tpl

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/supernova2.jpg

A good friend has the same shotgun and recommended it, but it seems like the big debate on the net is the nova/supernova vs. the 870.

Any thoughts?
the 870 is definitely tried and true but i've heard nothing but good things about the nova.

how do you like that XD 40? i have one too and love it :-)

Dr.3D
03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
I really like my Remington 870 HD. The only problem I have had with it is my coat sleeve getting caught in the fore end slide assembly when pumping another round into the chamber.

It has a nice short barrel so it is easy to maneuver in close quarters and is black so it is hard to see in the dark. The short barrel would probably be not so good for shooting turkeys though and you would probably want to have a second, longer barrel to swap with it for turkey hunting.

PAULinSC
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
WTF?

Like I mentioned, several weeks ago I bought the XD. I bought it on a saturday and they told me I had to wait till the next thursday for the background check to be complete. I was pissed a little but thought it was just something everyone has to live with.

Fast forward to today....I go in to buy the same shotgun I listed above, and they tell me I have wait till the 25th??? They just did a background check for the XD, so what's the reason for waiting 6 days for this shotgun??!!

Dr.3D
03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
WTF?

Like I mentioned, several weeks ago I bought the XD. I bought it on a saturday and they told me I had to wait till the next thursday for the background check to be complete. I was pissed a little but thought it was just something everyone has to live with.

Fast forward to today....I go in to buy the same shotgun I listed above, and they tell me I have wait till the 25th??? They just did a background check for the XD, so what's the reason for waiting 6 days for this shotgun??!!

I've never heard of a background check for even buying a pistol. What the heck?

You must live in a screwed up state.

Doktor_Jeep
03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Be sure to have one-sided conversations with it on the front porch.

That's what I like to do.

maeqFREEDOMfree
03-20-2008, 05:46 AM
that is strange man... what state do you live in? no waiting period for any gun purchase in michigan

PAULinSC
03-20-2008, 07:44 AM
South Carolina

Shed
03-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Did you get it with the camo design? Yuch.

Hawk45
03-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Most reliable shotguns on the market today are the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 series. Both use dual action bars to prevent binding while pumping and are virtually jam free.

I have used both and like them. The main advantage the Mossberg has over the Remington is its shell stops can be replaced without it having to go to a gun smith with the special tools it requires. The Mossberg's shell stops can be replaced with NO tools. The shell stops are about the only thing that wears out with BOTH shotguns.

Shell stops are what hold the shells in the magazine tube and are essential for reliable feeding of the rounds into the chamber.

Spare parts for both of these are also readily available and in the US. I cannot say that for the Benelli unfortunately.

sfws09
03-21-2008, 08:29 PM
i turkey hunt with an 870. LOVE IT. but A LOT has to do with the choke you use in turkey hunting. i use a 'gobbling thunder (?)'. deadly at 50ish with Rem. #4 OR #6 Hevi-shot

GunnyFreedom
03-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Did you get it with the camo design? Yuch.

Well if you ever use it in combat, you will thank God for the camo design. Guns are tools, not meant to look pretty.

GunnyFreedom
03-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I, for one, have fallen in love with the Benelli semiauto design. I wish they would offer a slightly more generic camo, something like a CADPAT, or a MARPAT would be ideal for a weapon I think, maybe at 75% saturation on the dye.

The gas piston design with the port just fore of the chamber leads to a MUCH faster recovery for a second shot. Benelli will tell you that just fore of the chamber the expanding gasses are cleaner so you have to clean the weapon less often. Well, that's not exactly gospel -- I have heard of s few people with an R1 developing issues after about 10,000 rounds and not cleaning the gas piston; and some after about 2000 rounds who let them sit for months and fire 100, and then monthes and fire 100 getting corrosion and malfunctions in their gas pistons. The easy solution is to just keep the thing clean. You don't have to be OCD about it, just don't let a year go by having never cleaned inside the gas piston.

But I for one do very much recommend the Benelli. I myself am aiming at a Benelli R1 when I can afford one.

GunnyFreedom
03-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Most reliable shotguns on the market today are the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 series. Both use dual action bars to prevent binding while pumping and are virtually jam free.

I have used both and like them. The main advantage the Mossberg has over the Remington is its shell stops can be replaced without it having to go to a gun smith with the special tools it requires. The Mossberg's shell stops can be replaced with NO tools. The shell stops are about the only thing that wears out with BOTH shotguns.

Shell stops are what hold the shells in the magazine tube and are essential for reliable feeding of the rounds into the chamber.

Spare parts for both of these are also readily available and in the US. I cannot say that for the Benelli unfortunately.

What I like about the Benelli, is that it is a reliable semiauto. They are also gaining a marked in the US, and as they become more popular, there will be more parts available for them. I am very impressed with Benelli engineering myself.

If we were comparing pump to pump, I would absolutely lean Mossberg, but I don't really like Remington's line of semiauto shotguns as much.

If the intent is to defend the home, then a semi shotgun is just ridiculous amounts of firepower, and if you step into a whole gaggle of zombies, you might can take 3 aimed shots with a semi before you can take your second one on a pump.

Especially with the effect the gas piston has on recoil.

Hawk45
03-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I actually do like the Benelli. In fact so much so that I bought the one I was issued from H&K when they were marketing them here in the US. The only down side is the price for the average American. I can buy TWO Mossbergs or Remingtons for the same money one Bennili costs and still have some money left over for some shells to feed them.

Like another posted I do NOT trust semi autos from Remington either. Too prone to fail because of a lousy $.01 rubber O-ring. That is why for the average person that needs a gun to function 100% of the time I recommend the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 series.

As for being camo'd the facts are except for hunting the shotgun when used for home defense is going to be used in the HOUSE. Unless your bedroom and living room looks like your yard camo is just an added cost that could be better used for buying ammo to actually practice with and getting good with said weapon.

To me guns are just tools. The PERSON is the true weapon!