PDA

View Full Version : HEY! Who is manipulating Gold & Silver markets now!?

RonPaulCentral
03-19-2008, 06:52 AM
So what do you think is going on with the Gold & Silver markets?

The FED bails out Bear Strern and further inflates the money supply.

And the reaction?

1. The dollar GAINS against the Euro & GBP
2. The market rallies... big time
3. Gold & Silver *TANK*

For the past two days trading overseas brings the price back up and then around 8am here in the States (EST) Gold tanks.

SOMETHING is going on beyond the normal levels of manipulation.

Opinions?

RadiantBlueLight
03-19-2008, 07:16 AM
BREAKING NEWS
U.S. unveils plan to provide up to $200B in liquidity for troubled mortgage market by loosening rules on Freddie, Fannie. More soon.

They said the F words (Freddie, Fannie)

wgadget
03-19-2008, 07:16 AM
It's normal. Don't worry, there will be a big sell-off and we'll be back to where we started from.

They have injected more money into the system, which will result in more INFLATION. Gold and silver will rise again. Just be patient.

I went and bought a couple of ounces yesterday, along with some silver. You can't really go wrong...It's a hedge against inflation as well as something that will diversify your portfolio.

Cowlesy
03-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Why are you complaining about lower gold and silver prices.

It makes them that much cheaper for you to buy-up now!

acptulsa
03-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Why are you complaining about lower gold and silver prices.

It makes them that much cheaper for you to buy-up now!

There you go. Not everyone has zero faith in the future. When stocks are down and gold and silver are up, speculators liquidate the metals (I'm talking selling, not smelting) to buy stocks cheap. Then comes the vice versa.

Stop following the herd and buy your precious metals when they're cheap!

I only say this because I like you guys. Think about it.

Charles Wilson
03-19-2008, 07:39 AM
It's normal. Don't worry, there will be a big sell-off and we'll be back to where we started from.

They have injected more money into the system, which will result in more INFLATION. Gold and silver will rise again. Just be patient.

I went and bought a couple of ounces yesterday, along with some silver. You can't really go wrong...It's a hedge against inflation as well as something that will diversify your portfolio.

Question: Since we are not allowed to hoard gold, how did you purchase gold? Are you investing in gold stock using the dollar? When the dollar drops in value will your percentage of gold drop? If you sell your gold, will you receive dollars in return? Would it not be better to bite the bullet and purchase a stable foreign currency from which to buy gold?

Thanks

RonPaulCentral
03-19-2008, 07:41 AM
There you go. Not everyone has zero faith in the future. When stocks are down and gold and silver are up, speculators liquidate the metals (I'm talking selling, not smelting) to buy stocks cheap. Then comes the vice versa.

Stop following the herd and buy your precious metals when they're cheap!

I only say this because I like you guys. Think about it.

No no no... Don't get me wrong I am still buying metal -- I am just talking about how BLATENT this round of manipulation is displayed.

There is NO WAY that only "US Market" investors are selling their metals and the overnights in EUR/ASIA pushes it up a bit. Look at the charts over the last 3 days and you will see what I am talking about. Something is up.

I agree -- in the LONG TERM there is no question that G&S will do well.

RadiantBlueLight
03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Would it not be better to bite the bullet and purchase a stable foreign currency from which to buy gold?

The magic of metals is that you never really lose value. You're only trading out your paper money for metal which locks in value. When you sell the metal you're getting back an amount that has the same buying power as the paper money had when you started. It's a safe haven for value pure and simple. Changing dollars for, say, euros will buy you exactly the same amount of gold you could buy with dollars.

2000 years ago, a gold coin would buy you a very nice suit and shoes. Today a gold coin will buy you a very nice suit and shoes.

RonPaulCentral
03-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Question: Since we are not allowed to hoard gold, how did you purchase gold? Are you investing in gold stock using the dollar? When the dollar drops in value will your percentage of gold drop? If you sell your gold, will you receive dollars in return? Would it not be better to bite the bullet and purchase a stable foreign currency from which to buy gold?

Thanks

There is nothing saying you can not invest in gold. Personally I think the only safe way of holding metals (other then in your own secure location around your home base) is in a vault in a country that still believes in personal rights -- like Switzerland.

The swiss will never take your gold from you -- and if they do the world would have to be in such a bad state that your guns and anno would be worth more because then at least you could hunt and eat -- and protect your food from people trying to take it from you.

Think "Night of the living dead." :)

acptulsa
03-19-2008, 07:57 AM
The magic of metals is that you never really lose value. You're only trading out your paper money for metal which locks in value. When you sell the metal you're getting back an amount that has the same buying power as the paper money had when you started. It's a safe haven for value pure and simple. Changing dollars for, say, euros will buy you exactly the same amount of gold you could buy with dollars.

2000 years ago, a gold coin would buy you a very nice suit and shoes. Today a gold coin will buy you a very nice suit and shoes.

You are basically correct, but there is a slight fluctuation. The worse the economy gets, the more that safety you speak of is valued and sought. This does bring supply and demand into the equation. So, during rocky economic times, that gold coin will buy you a nicer suit and shoes--and maybe a tie and cufflinks, too.

slacker921
03-19-2008, 08:28 AM
"No no no... Don't get me wrong I am still buying metal -- I am just talking about how BLATENT this round of manipulation is displayed." .. . not sure it's blatant manipulation as much as folks in the US swapping out their gold to buy more stocks. But it does look odd that in has taken place on the NY exchange each day and pushed the price down.

And I'm with the others, the dollar will drop more and gold/silver will rise.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2373/2345650070_1b83067ce3.jpg?v=0

Andrew-Austin
03-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Where can I go about buying/investing in gold while its cheaper. I am a complete noob to this sort of thing.

Brown Sapper
03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Im getting so antsy. I want buy in right now at 18.9 but I think it going to go further down. (Im am no expert)

runderwo
03-19-2008, 09:09 AM

They have injected more money into the system, which will result in more INFLATION.

No, they haven't. They have swapped toxic debt for T-Bills using JP Morgan as a conduit.

Cowlesy
03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul445.html

Ron Paul made a great point about "investing" in gold this past Saturday.

Read it and you'll see why I put investing in quotations.

Andrew-Austin
03-19-2008, 09:21 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul445.html

Ron Paul made a great point about "investing" in gold this past Saturday.

Read it and you'll see why I put investing in quotations.

Thats pretty much how I figured it works.

"Holding gold is protection or insurance against government’s proclivity to debase its currency."

Its protecting your purchasing power.

I did not read the whole thing so let me know if I missed something important.

Highstreet
03-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Where can I go about buying/investing in gold while its cheaper. I am a complete noob to this sort of thing.

Go to your local Coin Shop or Precious Metals shop. They are sometimes attached to a jewelry shop. Or if you don't have them, go to a place like www.apmex.com

You want to actually have the gold or silver in hand.

Thanks

We are allowed to own gold and silver. They re-legalized it in 1971.

scooter
03-19-2008, 09:51 AM
It's obvious on here that people know about using gold as a hedge against inflation, but you all really have no clue how the markets or inflation works.

If the Fed comes out and lowers the interest rates that doesn't immediately flood money to the market causing gold to shoot up. Inflation takes many months to unfold, and just lowering rates doesn't necessarily mean inflation will be impacted.

I would just ignore the daily trading prices unless you're looking for a better entry point.

wgadget
03-19-2008, 10:26 AM

If you don't mind paying for shipping, go to www.kitco.com. I believe the website also has the current prices listed.

I bought mine locally (I looked in the yellow pages under "coin dealers." Then I didn't have to pay for the shipping, saving myself about $30.)

wgadget
03-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Also, I heard someone on a financial radio station say that if you buy pre-1933 gold (1933 was the year it became illegal for Americans to own gold, and it was confiscated), you will never have to pay income taxes on it.

The woman at the store had never heard of this, so if anyone else knows about this, please chime in.

BTW, the gold 1oz I bought dated 1914 was a bit more expensive, and this may be the reason. She said all of the older ones were more expensive.

ARealConservative
03-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Also, I heard someone on a financial radio station say that if you buy pre-1933 gold (1933 was the year it became illegal for Americans to own gold, and it was confiscated), you will never have to pay income taxes on it.

The woman at the store had never heard of this, so if anyone else knows about this, please chime in.

BTW, the gold 1oz I bought dated 1914 was a bit more expensive, and this may be the reason. She said all of the older ones were more expensive.

You often pay a higher premium because of the rarity and "cool factor". Talk about confiscation laws are a tool of the dealers wanting an even higher premium IMO.

I do have quite a few pre-1933 coins though that I find at close to spot prices.

freedominnumbers
03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I heard a funny somewhat related thing recently.

A guy was on the radio saying he never believed in a gold standard until talking to a friend who changed his mind. He said his friend changed his mind by explaining that the added weight of the amount of gold it would take to back our money supply would likely sink North America just enough to obliterate the blue states on the left and right leaving middle America intact.

runderwo
03-19-2008, 11:37 AM
It's obvious on here that people know about using gold as a hedge against inflation, but you all really have no clue how the markets or inflation works.

If the Fed comes out and lowers the interest rates that doesn't immediately flood money to the market causing gold to shoot up. Inflation takes many months to unfold, and just lowering rates doesn't necessarily mean inflation will be impacted.

And the lower interest rates that encourage speculation will result in a bust and deflation later on. The same people that lost in NASDAQ, housing, and derivatives, I am afraid will lose in gold because the hype overvalues it.

Charles Wilson
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Go to your local Coin Shop or Precious Metals shop. They are sometimes attached to a jewelry shop. Or if you don't have them, go to a place like www.apmex.com

You want to actually have the gold or silver in hand.

We are allowed to own gold and silver. They re-legalized it in 1971.

Thanks, I did not get the memo :o

That is good to know. I will most definitely look into buying and saving gold on my next trip to Europe. I do not trust our banks and financial institutions here in the US.

RonPaulCentral
03-19-2008, 02:17 PM
You often pay a higher premium because of the rarity and "cool factor". Talk about confiscation laws are a tool of the dealers wanting an even higher premium IMO.

I do have quite a few pre-1933 coins though that I find at close to spot prices.

The American People would never be fools enough this time around to actually give up their gold. Plus... if you just keep it outside of the country no worries... Think about it... would you give up your gold?

Switzerland comes to mind.... :rolleyes:

jd603
03-20-2008, 10:59 PM
You are reading my mind...

Also, FED cuts rates 1% over one week instead of 1.25% and THE DOLLAR RALLIES AND GOLD TANKS ?!?!!?!? Please someone explain, please. We live in bizzaro world.

So what do you think is going on with the Gold & Silver markets?

The FED bails out Bear Strern and further inflates the money supply.

And the reaction?

1. The dollar GAINS against the Euro & GBP
2. The market rallies... big time
3. Gold & Silver *TANK*

For the past two days trading overseas brings the price back up and then around 8am here in the States (EST) Gold tanks.

SOMETHING is going on beyond the normal levels of manipulation.

Opinions?

m72mc
03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
whoever does anything will be weaker than the market. The market is stronger.