PDA

View Full Version : RP 4th in Tipacanoe Straw Poll today

Razmear
08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Didn't even know about this one, must have been a stealth straw poll.

eb

http://www.wlfi.com/Global/story.asp?S=6950876&nav=menu591_3

Tippecanoe County Republicans Select Romney and Thompson

Aug 18, 2007 07:16 PM

The results are in and it's a tie. Tippecanoe County Republicans select Mitt Romney and Fred Thompson as the candidates they would like to see represent the party in the presidential election. The vote happened during the county's first Straw Poll Convention on Saturday. The event was an unofficial way to see who Tippecanoe County Republicans would like to see as the next president.

"Mitt Romney. I think he has some great values and I like a lot of his leadership qualities and the policies that he would like to enforce," Amanda Thayer said.

"I voted for Mitt Romney. I couldn't decide. I was actually walking up to the voting box and still hadn't checked a box. It was between him and Fred Thompson," Brian Cook said.

179 people voted in Tippecanoe County's first Straw Poll. Romney and Thompson each received about 27 percent of the votes.

"Those that tied at the top was surprising to me because they seem a little different and I think it's going to be an interesting election," Tony Reece said.

During the event, voters listened to video presentations from the presidential candidates. Reece voted for Tom Tancredo.

"After listening to his tape and the questions that were presented to him, he answer them in a way that I felt was the best for our country," Reece said.

There were also several state leaders who attended, including State Treasurer Richard Mourdock.

"This is an important party event. It really is something historic. And to see this many people show up this early in the process. I think it gives Indiana a chance to participate in something that otherwise, through the scheduling of our primary, we really don't have much of a voice," Mourdock said.

"We think Tippecanoe County is one of the leaders in this state in the Republican Party and we want to show our leadership," Straw Poll Convention Chairman Jerry Withered said.

Rudy Giuliani finished in third with nearly 15 percent of the votes. Michael Huckabee and Ron Paul tied for fourth. Followed by John McCain, Samuel Brownback, Duncan Hunter and Tom Tancredo.