PDA

View Full Version : Audio of Sumpreme Court Arguments

Ex Post Facto
03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
http://www.c-span.org/

Ex Post Facto
03-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I listened to the entire 1 hour 37 minute Oral argument. Based off a lay-man opinion, with some legal training, the justices for the most part sound like they are leaning for an individual right to keep and bare arms.

Strike-Fighter
03-18-2008, 08:44 PM
How'd you get it to play? :(

Arkris
03-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the link.

It does sound hopeful for us that they'll uphold an individual's right to keep a gun for self defense purposes.

There were times when Dellinger almost sounded like his arguements were IN FAVOR of individual's rights, like the part where he qouted the Federalist Papers and said, "...The people are the militia, and the militia are the people." Then Justice Roberts said, "Doesn't that cut against you if the militia included all people..." I like the fact that Dellinger shot himself in the foot (no pun intended) in under 2:30 minutes into the arguements.

Ex Post Facto
03-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the link.

It does sound hopeful for us that they'll uphold an individual's right to keep a gun for self defense purposes.

There were times when Dellinger almost sounded like his arguements were IN FAVOR of individual's rights, like the part where he qouted the Federalist Papers and said, "...The people are the militia, and the militia are the people." Then Justice Roberts said, "Doesn't that cut against you if the militia included all people..." I like the fact that Dellinger shot himself in the foot (no pun intended) in under 2:30 minutes into the arguements.

Yeah the attorney for DC sucked in Oral debate. At times, I thought everyone talking was pro gun rights. I laughed out loud, at that part when Dellinger couldn't draw a distinction between a malitia and the people, saying the malitia was to overthrow a tyranical government, and the people should be armed.

OddballAZ
03-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the link.

Yea if I ever need a lawyer, I know who NOT to hire that's for sure. That guy got his ass kicked by Roberts, Alito, Kennedy and then REALLY got a beat down from Scalia.

The interesting thing is if they say anything about the Miller ruling in their opinions. Miller said a sawed off shotgun had no value to the militia so it can't be used... Well a machine gun now days sure as hell does. Machine guns are not totally banned but they are so close to it they might as well be. So the question will be can we take this and use it to get rid of the 1986 law on machine guns.

Ex Post Facto
03-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Yea if I ever need a lawyer, I know who NOT to hire that's for sure. That guy got his ass kicked by Roberts, Alito, Kennedy and then REALLY got a beat down from Scalia.

The interesting thing is if they say anything about the Miller ruling in their opinions. Miller said a sawed off shotgun had no value to the militia so it can't be used... Well a machine gun now days sure as hell does. Machine guns are not totally banned but they are so close to it they might as well be. So the question will be can we take this and use it to get rid of the 1986 law on machine guns.

The Justices were also asking a relevant question that at the time of the constitution signing, citizens had the same military arms as the standing military used.

Dequeant
03-19-2008, 01:21 AM
I certainly hope so. If MGs became legal, i would immediately buy an AR and an AK. I'd also start saving for a S.A.W.

Of course, the first time one gets used in some school shooting the gun-grabbers will cry bloody murder and "see, i TOLD you!".....failing to realise that if he didn't have a MG he would have just used a semi-auto.

american.swan
03-19-2008, 01:22 AM
I heard the "libertarian view" a few times.

I thought to was interesting how one justice seemed worried about what federal laws this ruling could affect.