PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Can Be Vice President

The Lantern
03-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I keep seeing all this debate on whether or not we should still try to get delegates to change the platform, rules, etc. Realistically speaking, John McCain will probably be the nominee because of the different party rules and state laws on bound delegates. So even if you are a Ron Paul supporter, you might still have to vote for McCain.

But there is another aspect of this that no one is talking about. Even though you might be bound to vote for McCain, there is no rule that you have to vote for McCain's Vice Presidential nominee. Ron has stated that he would not be Vice President because McCain would not ask him. But what would happen if the delegates put forth the name of Ron Paul?

Would Ron get on the ticket if the Convention Delegates asked him?

Think about it. It's possible.

0zzy
03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
He said no because he supports things Paul does not.

acptulsa
03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
So even if you are a Ron Paul supporter, you might still have to vote for McCain.

You're barking up the wrong tree, friend. I'm voting for a real conservative if I have to write one in. I'll not be voting for McCain even if you're standing over me with a gun. "...have to..."? Is this fascism or are you just a "team player"?

MikeSmith
03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I keep seeing all this debate on whether or not we should still try to get delegates to change the platform, rules, etc. Realistically speaking, John McCain will probably be the nominee because of the different party rules and state laws on bound delegates. So even if you are a Ron Paul supporter, you might still have to vote for McCain.

But there is another aspect of this that no one is talking about. Even though you might be bound to vote for McCain, there is no rule that you have to vote for McCain's Vice Presidential nominee. Ron has stated that he would not be Vice President because McCain would not ask him. But what would happen if the delegates put forth the name of Ron Paul?

No

The Lantern
03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
He said no because he supports things Paul does not.

Ron has never stated that he would not be Vice President. When asked the question, he has said it was moot because John McCain would never ask him.

He has stated that he would not support John McCain because that would conflict with 30 years of his personal beliefs.

If the purpose of the renewed delegate chase is to further the message, what better way to further the message than by nominating Ron for Vice President.

Nirvikalpa
03-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Ron would refuse to be VP under McCain - and I think majority of RP Supporters wouldn't want that, either. Nothing RP stands for would get done with him as a VP - and everything we worked so hard for would be wasted.

LEK
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Ron would refuse to be VP under McCain - and I think majority of RP Supporters wouldn't want that, either. Nothing RP stands for would get done with him as a VP - and everything we worked so hard for would be wasted.

He would be treated like the VP in the movie "Dave". Scape goat...

MikeSmith
03-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Ron has never stated that he would not be Vice President. When asked the question, he has said it was moot because John McCain would never ask him.

He has stated that he would not support John McCain because that would conflict with 30 years of his personal beliefs.

If the purpose of the renewed delegate chase is to further the message, what better way to further the message than by nominating Ron for Vice President.

McCain will never admit Iraq (actually, our entire foreign policy) is a failure and thus will doom us into massive debt (yes, even more so than currently). Ron Paul will have no part in that.

McCain is also a big government Republican, like the rest of the party... He believes that government should continually expand. The only difference Republicans have from Democrats is that they believe more subsidies should go to rich people and corporations.

christagious
03-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Andrew Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Lantern
03-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Andrew Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Exactly!

Opulen
03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
The position of a vice-president is useless! We need the number 1 position.

alaric
03-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Maybe Ron could drive him completely crazy, to the point he would be committed! Then we get President Paul!:p

acptulsa
03-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Maybe Ron could drive him completely crazy, to the point he would be committed! Then we get President Paul!:p

He's already completely crazy, but they haven't committed him yet. What would change?

m72mc
03-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Ron Paul want´s his ideas to affect politics. His goal is not foremost to be in office.
Him being vp without anything good come of it is a waste of his time.
Actually he would be better off as obamas vp, at least they agree on something. (perhaps)

GoPaul08
03-18-2008, 04:37 PM
The key point here is Ron Paul does not want you to do this! It is amazing that his supporters are so eager to do things that he SPECIFICALLY says he does not want.

GREAT way to support the guy!

Nate SY
03-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Oh yeah... Ron shouldn't be VP... I mean it's not like having a tie breaking vote in the Senate is of any value at all... PSSSSH... President Of The Senate... who would want THAT?

goldstandard
03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
No, no, and no. Ron doesn't want this, Paul supporters don't support McCain and we would not get one single bit of RP's platform.

Nate SY
03-18-2008, 05:06 PM
No, no, and no. Ron doesn't want this, Paul supporters don't support McCain and we would not get one single bit of RP's platform.

I personally don't WANT it. I'm just responding to these people that say VP is useless. The VP is the president of the senate, and has the tie breaking vote... Isn't required often but when it is it's over very controversial stuff. It is useful, but personally I'd prefer him having his congressional seat to the VP... more direct influence.

slacker921
03-18-2008, 05:14 PM
from OP.. "So even if you are a Ron Paul supporter, you might still have to vote for McCain. "

You're saying if you're a delegate at the national convention and you're "bound" then you have to vote for McCain.... ? here's a thought.. what would happen if the delegates and alternates walk out on the convention? Or simply refuse to vote for him? Or McCain gets booed during his speech at the convention? How embarrassing would that be? There's a lot that can happen and that's why the GOP is fighting so hard to make sure that NO Ron Paul supporters make it to the national convention.

Ron Paul as McCain's VP?? dang.. that's pretty far out there.

Banana
03-18-2008, 05:23 PM

It's not just to further the message; it's to take over the party. Nominating is only thing that delegates are bound, but delegates also do select party officials (someone floated the idea of Paul being GOP Chairman), and committee members (elect our people on those committees), and adopt a platform (make it all about Ron Paul's message), and maybe even modify the rules (make one stating that nominee must obey Constitution, and support the party platform or be ineligible for nomination next election cycle and dismissal from the party).

DFF
03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
It's a prerequisite that a Vice President be a 100% "Yes" man.

So Ron Paul would have to TOTALLY sellout in order for this scenario to even be remotely plausible.

CNN News Reporter: "President McCain has stated that we might need to be in Iraq for another 100 years-

VP Paul: "Maybe 200. That would be fine with me and I hope it would fine with you."

TruthAtLast
03-18-2008, 05:36 PM
It's not just to further the message; it's to take over the party. Nominating is only thing that delegates are bound, but delegates also do select party officials (someone floated the idea of Paul being GOP Chairman), and committee members (elect our people on those committees), and adopt a platform (make it all about Ron Paul's message), and maybe even modify the rules (make one stating that nominee must obey Constitution, and support the party platform or be ineligible for nomination next election cycle and dismissal from the party).

i like that rule.

out of curiosity. If Ron Paul did take a VP position, would he also be forced to give up his Congressional seat? And if so, does Peden get the nod? :eek:

TruthAtLast
03-18-2008, 05:38 PM

Or in the case of Bush and Cheney, the President is the "Yes" man. :D

The Lantern
03-18-2008, 05:53 PM
from OP.. "So even if you are a Ron Paul supporter, you might still have to vote for McCain. "

You're saying if you're a delegate at the national convention and you're "bound" then you have to vote for McCain.... ? here's a thought.. what would happen if the delegates and alternates walk out on the convention? Or simply refuse to vote for him? Or McCain gets booed during his speech at the convention? How embarrassing would that be? There's a lot that can happen and that's why the GOP is fighting so hard to make sure that NO Ron Paul supporters make it to the national convention.

Ron Paul as McCain's VP?? dang.. that's pretty far out there.

Most of the time if the vote is bound, there is no vote. The chairman of the state delegation, usually the chair of the party or governor, etc addresses the speaker and simply says Arizona casts all its votes for John McCain. The delegations do not hold a formal vote unless they are unbound.

speciallyblend
03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
i wouldnt vote for a mccain/paul ticket ,i would vote for someone else.

It's Ron Paul or nothing,the gop is going to get what they served;) up

Ron Paul 2008,written in stone

The Lantern
03-18-2008, 05:54 PM

So Ron Paul would have to TOTALLY sellout in order for this scenario to even be remotely plausible.

CNN News Reporter: "President McCain has stated that we might need to be in Iraq for another 100 years-

VP Paul: "Maybe 200. That would be fine with me and I hope it would fine with you."

Nowhere is it a prerequisite that the VP needs to be a yes man.

DFF
03-18-2008, 06:00 PM
How many times have you heard Cheney offer up an opinion that differs from Dubya? Or Al Gore with Clinton? Or Dan Quail with Bush Sr.?

Banana
03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Nowhere is it a prerequisite that the VP needs to be a yes man.

More like a unwritten prerequisite, really.

DFF- Dan Quayle, not Quail.

Banana
03-18-2008, 06:15 PM
i like that rule.

Yeah, so do I. I was so glad to see some folks in North Dakota passing a resolution stating just that. So cool. Hope it'll go all way to their state convention.

out of curiosity. If Ron Paul did take a VP position, would he also be forced to give up his Congressional seat? And if so, does Peden get the nod? :eek:

I'm afraid this totally depends on state's rules and laws, and I know squat about Texas's. It could be anything to no representation until next election cycle to special election to re-compete (which Peed On Pants can try again) to automatic award to Peed On Pants.

Zera
03-18-2008, 06:25 PM
VP? Hell no. Paul would never want to be McCain's VP... Their policies are like polar opposites.

But, we should still not give up hope on the GOP nomination itself. Look at the success for Missouri, for example. And we still have a good amount of states left that haven't had their conventions.

If we don't get the nomination, though, we will definitely be able to do stuff at the nation GOP. Changing the entire party's platform to what it should be and once was, and perhaps make Paul the chairman.

phree
03-18-2008, 07:00 PM

That's crazy talk.

christagious
03-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Andrew Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Banana
03-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Andrew Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Care to elaborate?

Alawn
03-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Andrew Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Care to elaborate?

If McCain died Ron Paul would become President

phree
03-19-2008, 06:07 AM
If McCain died Ron Paul would become President

This is sad.

Rangeley
03-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Someone mentioned how embarassing it would be if all the Paul delegates just walked out of the convention... yea, that would be embarassing for about a day or two. What would truly be embarassing is if McCain had 4 years with Ron Paul as Vice President - someone who totally disagrees with him on many issues. There is no requirement that the Vice President has to be a "yes man," but rather the Presidential Nominees always put forward a name of someone who is in agreeance with them and can work with them. The convention almost always selects their choice. But they do not have to.

That said, I do not know if this is the best idea. Much like a third party run, I would support it, but I tend to think that other routes are a better choice. But whatever route he ultimately decides, I will support him.