PDA

View Full Version : Unbinding delegates...is it possible?

RPTXState
03-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I've heard talk about resolutions passing at county conventions in Missouri that would, if passed at state, unbind their delegates from McLame. Is this even possible, and could a similar resolution pass in Texas (unbinding our 80 McLame delegates and 14 Huckleberry delegates)?

robertwerden
03-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Only at State convention. So you need to be a delegate to county now. The dirty tricks in TX have already started here in TX. If you are near Austin, there is a meeting tonight at the Ron Paul headquarters on 183 n. at 7pm. Show up if you can.

Phantom
03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
In this post (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=129133), The Ron Paul revolution continues, it says: The biggest hit: A resolution to be taken up at the state party meeting in the spring to repeal the rule that all of Missouri's 58 delegates go to the winner, John McCain.

So, it is possible to unbind bound delegates.

RPTXState
03-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Only at State convention. So you need to be a delegate to county now. The dirty tricks in TX have already started here in TX. If you are near Austin, there is a meeting tonight at the Ron Paul headquarters on 183 n. at 7pm. Show up if you can.

What "dirty tricks" specifically?

And I should be there in Austin.

Zera
03-18-2008, 02:18 PM
From what I heard, 75% of the state convention delegates are going to be Paul supporters. This will be more than 2/3, which is the amount you need to pass the resolution. I'm sure someone at your convention is already going to, but if not, immediately bring it up so McCain's 58 delegates in your state become unbound. Then, nominate only Paul supporters to the convention so they vote for Paul.

robertwerden
03-18-2008, 02:38 PM
The dirty tricks are things like telling you that you are a delegate then never adding your name to the list because they see you support Paul. County chairs are making attempts to identify paul supporters. So you need to watch out for what looks like a county chair who supports ron paul when he is just trying to identify you.

seapilot
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
From what I heard, 75% of the state convention delegates are going to be Paul supporters. This will be more than 2/3, which is the amount you need to pass the resolution. I'm sure someone at your convention is already going to, but if not, immediately bring it up so McCain's 58 delegates in your state become unbound. Then, nominate only Paul supporters to the convention so they vote for Paul.

Be prepared for a fight. If there is really 2/3 delegates for RP and they all have prepared beforehand, (understanding parlimentary procedure, Roberts rules) it can happen. Make sure its on the agenda beforehand.

Also it might be changed in the rules committee, but they will do everything in thier power to stall it, table it or whatever. In Alaska it was proportional to the primary vote so it was more bound. We did however pass a resolution that ALaska GOP will support Ron Paul speaking at the National convention. All I can say to those that are going to state conventions with an organized group is it definitly wont be boring :D.

Also they will know a lot of RP supporters will be there, to some dont be so obvious who you support. It will throw them off guard and unless they know the person personally they wont know who you really support until the voting starts. If its a voice vote yell louder than they can, then they will call for a district or county vote by paper ballot. Make sure we have someone already on the committee that counts the votes.

acroso
03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I think only 20% of Missouri has caucuses so far.

Zera
03-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I think only 20% of Missouri has caucuses so far.

But you aren't getting what I mean. 75% of all the delegates that will be at the state convention will be from those five counties that, apparently, were full of Ron Paul supporters.

Number19
03-18-2008, 07:17 PM
So where does this leave "bound" delegates to Huckabee? Even though he withdrew, at NAT, on the first vote, will his delegates still be required to cast their vote for him.?And if not, are there other restrictions (ie, Huck formally throwing his support to McCain) which would not allow them to vote for Dr Paul?

nate895
03-18-2008, 07:23 PM
So where does this leave "bound" delegates to Huckabee? Even though he withdrew, at NAT, on the first vote, will his delegates still be required to cast their vote for him.?And if not, are there other restrictions (ie, Huck formally throwing his support to McCain) which would not allow them to vote for Dr Paul?

Depends on the state, but I believe they can vote for whoever they feel like at the moment.

Feelgood
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Make sure you go to the caucus wearing a McCain support shirt. That will really throw them off. :) Maybe we need to come up with a secret hand shake so we know who the RP supporters are. :D

Opulen
03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
They underestimated Ron Paul patriots!

d03boy
03-18-2008, 08:22 PM
i was thinking of the idea of wearing a liberty bell on your lapel

Banana
03-18-2008, 11:06 PM
You know, if you feel secret handshake is necessary, I'd not post it, rather confiding it to the local group through more secure channels.

Oh, and be sure to not lie or deceive as well.