PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul "News" consistently Buried on Digg

Brasil Branco
08-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Two articles have allready been buried: Ron Paul Wins By Landslide in Alabama Straw Poll (http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_Wins_By_Landslide_in_Alabama_Straw_Poll)
and
Two BIG Straw Poll Wins for Ron Paul in New Hampshire and Alabama (http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/2_BIG_Straw_Poll_Wins_for_Ron_Paul_in_New_Hampshir e_and_Alabama)

This one will probally have the same fate: Ron Paul wins NH straw poll (http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_wins_NH_straw_poll_2)

Just to let you know, not much is getting through to the frontpage, if anything about the recent two victories.

An insite in Digg's system: http://www.seopedia.org/tips-tricks/social-media/the-digg-algorithm-unofficial-faq/

Edit: Doh, didn't realise I misspelled "buried".

Shink
08-18-2007, 04:32 PM
So digg them up, everyone! That's how you beat the biased Bury Brigade. I've already got my single digg on every 'Ron Paul won X Straw Poll' story I know of.

Brasil Branco
08-18-2007, 04:36 PM
I think that's the problem, apparently Digg has some sort of "diversity" meter- so if all of your diggs are just about Ron Paul- then it's not going to weigh your digg in comparison to someone with a diverse number of diggs "bury".

So, digg Ron Paul articles, but also digg stuff that actually interests you as well, there are some pretty neat articles which make it to the main page, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Shink
08-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Mmmm...I just can't get myself to digg anything about a stupid iPhone or what Apple did or what stupid photo was taken for the day....I tend to bury those. So much junk "news."

im_a_pepper
08-18-2007, 04:45 PM
The best way to get a story dugg using digg algorithms and keep it in the frontpage is make sure the story is dugg in a quick succession in a very short period of time. A story that has been dugg 200 times in a very short period will be displayed over a story that has 600 diggs spread out over that same short period. They look at spurts of popularity over actual diggs. So good idea to submit stories and get them dugg at peak hours.

Brasil Branco
08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Buried Again. I think Ron Paul is experiencing some pretty bad "blowback" on Digg. I think people need to stop digging everything which is Ron Paul related, focus on key articles/events or else I don't think there's much hope of getting anything on the front page.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Well, one thing we might consider, is to stop DIGGing every single solitary thing that comes out in print about Ron Paul. We are ticking off people. If we would monitor ourselves and only DIGG the IMPORTANT stories, I'll bet we would fare much better.

Brasil Branco
08-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Yep, I think there needs to be more coordination on the Digg front, but from what I can see from Digg Spy- there seems to be people who are attempting to bury EVERY single Ron Paul article.

Shink
08-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, I have a digg account, but I never personally patrol digg like a madman/admin just to bury things I dislike and digg things Ron Paul. I digg the important stuff. Unfortunately, due to duplicate stories, one can't tell which is the 'best' one to digg a lot of times.

Larofeticus
08-18-2007, 05:34 PM
It's entirely possible that more people are burying these straw poll stories than actually voted in the straw polls.

Kind of puts things in perspective.

Spirit of '76
08-18-2007, 05:37 PM
While you guys are digging, I think this article is digg-worthy (and not just because I wrote it ;) ):

http://digg.com/political_opinion/To_Save_Homeland_or_Empire_n_The_Existential_Strug gle_of_the_GOP

Brasil Branco
08-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, all three of those articles dealing with the straw polls were buried- it really is an abuse of the "Digg" system... I think detractors are going out of their way to bury anything "Ron Paul" related at this point.

Spirit of '76
08-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, all three of those articles dealing with the straw polls were buried- it really is an abuse of the "Digg" system... I think detractors are going out of their way to bury anything "Ron Paul" related at this point.

Actually, the third one "Ron Paul wins NH straw poll" has gone popular. :confused:

Maybe people are just burying duplicates.

0zzy
08-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Told you guysssssss. I've been using Digg since 2005, I know how the house rocks.

Brasil Branco
08-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Actually, the third one "Ron Paul wins NH straw poll" has gone popular. :confused:

Check again :(

Colleen
08-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi Folks,

I just joined. I've been an RP fan for years, though. I have to say, I believe this may be the election which turns the tide, as far as sources of info influencing an election. The big dogs are running scared, thus all the blatant censorship. This situation isn't only about right and wrong and an election. It about a major power shift and tons of money, power and many jobs and egos are at stake. Can we fathom just what it would signify if an uncontrollable entity such as this can - for the first time in our history - turn the tide in favor of the people? I think we can do this. It is my affirmation and my mantra. We Can do this!!! Awesome.

I am from Alabama and I can assure you that most of us have computers and are just as fed-up as everyone else with the MSM & Republicrats. Maybe not as many college grads, but educated fools are ruining this country. Folks everywhere are pretty upset and I do believe we can make history with this election. We just need to keep the faith.

Thanks y'all, for being here. Keep the faith!!!

Spirit of '76
08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Check again :(

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4841/picture3nl0.png

I don't see the problem here. :confused:

Spirit of '76
08-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Folks,

I just joined. I've been an RP fan for years, though. I have to say, I believe this may be the election which turns the tide, as far as sources of info influencing an election. The big dogs are running scared, thus all the blatant censorship. This situation isn't only about right and wrong and an election. It about a major power shift and tons of money, power and many jobs and egos are at stake. Can we fathom just what it would signify if an uncontrollable entity such as this can - for the first time in our history - turn the tide in favor of the people? I think we can do this. It is my affirmation and my mantra. We Can do this!!! Awesome.

I am from Alabama and I can assure you that most of us have computers and are just as fed-up as everyone else with the MSM & Republicrats. Maybe not as many college grads, but educated fools are ruining this country. Folks everywhere are pretty upset and I do believe we can make history with this election. We just need to keep the faith.

Thanks y'all, for being here. Keep the faith!!!

Colleen, welcome aboard!

I know that if we focus on Ron Paul's powerful stance on States' Rights, the South will come around. Keep fighting the good fight.

jpa
08-18-2007, 07:55 PM
not only do diggers that vote together not count as much, but too many of them trigger anti-abuse checks, which kill the story too.

Don't use your digg account just to digg RP stories. Don't create a new account just to vote on RP stories (this is a well known anti-abuse check)

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Yeah, it's now buried as well. GG Digg, GG.

Spirit of '76
08-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it's now buried as well. GG Digg, GG.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4841/picture3nl0.png :confused:

UtahApocalypse
08-18-2007, 08:06 PM
The original post showed EXACTLY why ALL Ron Paul stories are getting buried. You showed 3 articles that are all about the same thing. That is called duplicate. Digging more and more will get you less and less. I personally have BURIED all three of those as they are dupes. I digg Ron Paul things often, but I also follow the digg guidlines. You have to play by the rules.

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 08:07 PM
:confused:

Look at the front page. The stories no longer list that they've been buried. The story was made popular 3 hours 9 min ago and so should be in between "Ten Unsolved Mysteries Of The Brain" (2hr 56min) and "Putin bans BBC broadcasts in Russia" (4hr 4min). It's not there.

Also you can search for "Ron Paul" 'front page' and toggle 'show buried stories' on and off and then you can see that it's buried as well.

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 08:08 PM
The original post showed EXACTLY why ALL Ron Paul stories are getting buried. You showed 3 articles that are all about the same thing. That is called duplicate.

Except it's not really a duplicate when the original got buried now is it? If it got buried by the bury brigade just because, well then the only thing you can do is to repost it... now just because you had seen the first one when it wasn't buried, doesn't make the other submissions any less valid or mean that they are duplicates.

UtahApocalypse
08-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Except it's not really a duplicate when the original got buried now is it? If it got buried by the bury brigade just because, well then the only thing you can do is to repost it... now just because you had seen the first one when it wasn't buried, doesn't make the other submissions any less valid or mean that they are duplicates.

You obviously don't get the point of digg.

AdamT
08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't doubt for one second there are gov agents trolling Digg and burying RP. RP is dangerous to the power base running America.

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 08:40 PM
You obviously don't get the point of digg.
Okay, say a story is submitted, it is in its own little channel, but it is very popular, and so it is only there say an hour before it hits the front page, it hits the front page and is there for 2 hours before it is buried. If you were not on digg for those 3 hours, you had absolutely zero chance of viewing that submission. If everyone who was there during that 3 hours diggs down the same story since it is now a "duplicate", you have zero chance of every seeing that story, especially if you only ever view the front page.

So yes, I do understand and get the point of Digg. You are just not getting the fact that since something existed once for a short period of time that surely everyone had seen it and thus any time it comes up ever again, it is obviously a duplicate and deserves to be buried by anyone who had seen it, you know, in addition to the usual bury brigade who was likely responsible for the initial bury. Or the particular submission was buried because it was blog spam, but you sir, you would then bury every other submission on the story because to you in those 3 hours that you happened to see it are the only one who matters, and everyone else can get buggered off because that story is now "duplicate" no matter the exposure or validity the original had. ... *rolls eyes*

axiomata
08-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I don't doubt for one second there are gov agents trolling Digg and burying RP. RP is dangerous to the power base running America.
Too bad I can't bury posts here. Government agents trolling did, burying Paul posts? I know the government wastes a lot of money but come on.

UtahApocalypse
08-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Okay, say a story is submitted, it is in its own little channel, but it is very popular, and so it is only there say an hour before it hits the front page, it hits the front page and is there for 2 hours before it is buried. If you were not on digg for those 3 hours, you had absolutely zero chance of viewing that submission. If everyone who was there during that 3 hours diggs down the same story since it is now a "duplicate", you have zero chance of every seeing that story, especially if you only ever view the front page.

So yes, I do understand and get the point of Digg. You are just not getting the fact that since something existed once for a short period of time that surely everyone had seen it and thus any time it comes up ever again, it is obviously a duplicate and deserves to be buried by anyone who had seen it, you know, in addition to the usual bury brigade who was likely responsible for the initial bury. Or the particular submission was buried because it was blog spam, but you sir, you would then bury every other submission on the story because to you in those 3 hours that you happened to see it are the only one who matters, and everyone else can get buggered off because that story is now "duplicate" no matter the exposure or validity the original had. ... *rolls eyes*

I do get it. I have been on digg long before I knew who Ron Paul was. The rules are the rules though. It may not be fair, but it is how digg works. If you don't like it, don't play the game. My point is there was no "bury brigade" until zealous supporters flooded digg with every tiny tidbit. People at digg got sick of it, and now bury the stories. If we keep trying to get more we will allow get less, I have said this in about 2 dozen posts in 3 months here yet everyone still is complaining. i promise one thing based on how digg users typically react: The more Ron Paul stuff put on digg, the more they will hate Ron Paul and work against him. the choice is yours.

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Sorry, but digg is just a giant cluster-fsck of a popularity contest. I may not give one shiat about iPhones, but damn if there won't be a ton of them on the front page... but I don't actively go and bury them because I don't care to see or read about iPhones. I'll dig stories that I'm interested in, because that's how it works. You're the one who's really subverting it; not with the intent of following the "rules" but because you are, as you openly say, trying to prevent Ron Paul stories from being popular because it is your opinion that that will turn people against Ron Paul. So why don't you just state that; "I, UtahApocalypse, bury Ron Paul stories because I don't want the stories to be seen" There you go. Case settled. Nothing to do with digg at all, just you, and every other member of the bury brigade. You are them; congrats.

UtahApocalypse
08-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Sorry, but digg is just a giant cluster-fsck of a popularity contest. I may not give one shiat about iPhones, but damn if there won't be a ton of them on the front page... but I don't actively go and bury them because I don't care to see or read about iPhones. I'll dig stories that I'm interested in, because that's how it works. You're the one who's really subverting it; not with the intent of following the "rules" but because you are, as you openly say, trying to prevent Ron Paul stories from being popular because it is your opinion that that will turn people against Ron Paul. So why don't you just state that; "I, UtahApocalypse, bury Ron Paul stories because I don't want the stories to be seen" There you go. Case settled. Nothing to do with digg at all, just you, and every other member of the bury brigade. You are them; congrats.

Thanx I will now actively even search out articles to bury just to make you happy prick.

mkrfctr
08-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanx I will now actively even search out articles to bury just to make you happy prick.

Nice response, I now appreciate you and your positions. Kudos to you good sir, kudos.

Colleen
08-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Colleen, welcome aboard!

I know that if we focus on Ron Paul's powerful stance on States' Rights, the South will come around. Keep fighting the good fight.

Thanks, Spirit of '76.

Extremely well written article, by the way.

Brasil Branco
08-19-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm with Utah on this one... we're getting a negative reaction out of the Digg community. Sure, one or two articles might be acceptable, but people are using Digg to list Ron Paul articles about anything and everything. And many people are guilty, because they digg anything with Ron Paul's name in it- as much as it's acceptable- I feel it unofficially abuses the system.

The result is blowback, and some users are zealously burying articles associated with Ron Paul- not because they have some secret agenda, but because they're pissed off at Ron Paul articles sprouting everywhere. I guess it would be our equivelant of articles about the Iphone appearing everywhere (Oh wait...).

It's a two-sided coin, we have the right to digg articles, but they also have the right to bury articles. In the end, you just have to adopt a new Digg strategy if you want things to actually reach the frontpage.