View Full Version : Cnn changing the title of there story on Obama

Give me liberty
03-18-2008, 09:51 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/18/obama.speech/index.html

This the new story title
Obama: We can move beyond some of our racial wounds

the old story title on the front page was

Obama: Constitution stained by 'sin of slavery'

The United States Constitution "was stained by this nation's original sin of slavery," Sen. Barack Obama said today. His speech comes after spending the weekend on the defensive over racially charged statements from his former minister. full story

You will notice this when your on the front page on cnn

So it seems that obama hates the Constitution :rolleyes:
Who knew.

LEK
03-18-2008, 10:04 AM
I have a hard time believeing the general population even cares about slavery anymore considering that racial division is not evident today. I don't see any "back of the bus" or "colored drinking fountain" signs today. Granted, at one time it was a travesty - today - nada. Same opportunities exist for white, black, red, yellow...

Maybe Obama should take some advice from Booker T. washington.

Booker T. Washington on racial equality:

It was these non-threatening racial views that gave Washington the appellation "The Great Accomodater". He believed that blacks should not push to attain equal civil and political rights with whites. That it was best to concentrate on improving their economic skills and the quality of their character. The burden of improvement resting squarely on the shoulders of the black man. Eventually they would earn the respect and love of the white man, and civil and political rights would be accrued as a matter of course. This was a very non-threatening and popular idea with a lot of whites.

angelatc
03-18-2008, 10:24 AM
I I don't see any "back of the bus" or "colored drinking fountain" signs today. Granted, at one time it was a travesty - today - nada. Same opportunities exist for white, black, red, yellow...

Maybe Obama should take some advice from Booker T. washington.

Booker T. Washington on racial equality:

It was these non-threatening racial views that gave Washington the appellation "The Great Accomodater". He believed that blacks should not push to attain equal civil and political rights with whites. That it was best to concentrate on improving their economic skills and the quality of their character. The burden of improvement resting squarely on the shoulders of the black man. Eventually they would earn the respect and love of the white man, and civil and political rights would be accrued as a matter of course. This was a very non-threatening and popular idea with a lot of whites.

Be aware that if you debate the Constitution with liberals, they very quickly take a moral high ground argument that includes that fact that the Constitution was flawed because it allowed slavery. (So, if you support the Constitution you are a racist?)

The Civil Rights Act of '64 is a sore subject, because if that law had not passed you might still see those signs on private property.

ItsTime
03-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a headline for them Obama Dodges Economics, Plays Race Card

LEK
03-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Be aware that if you debate the Constitution with liberals, they very quickly take a moral high ground argument that includes that fact that the Constitution was flawed because it allowed slavery. (So, if you support the Constitution you are a racist?)

The Civil Rights Act of '64 is a sore subject, because if that law had not passed you might still see those signs on private property.

I agree - much good was done in the name of civil rights laws but we need to move on and stop using the past as a crutch. It certainly isn't helping minorities by inciting them - they should be encouraged.

Too much "us vs. them" surrounding the Obama campaign.

As far as the Constitution - I don't think we will ever fully understand the whole slavery mindset - particularly in the South. What we see as glaringly wrong and immoral they viewed as quite justifiable. I have read newspapers of that era that support both sides - the passion of the slavery advocates is startling to me. They often invoke Scripture to support their stance (being a Christian, I find that the most startling).

But again - aren't we past all of that?

What do you think?

ARealConservative
03-18-2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/18/obama.speech/index.html

This the new story title
Obama: We can move beyond some of our racial wounds

the old story title on the front page was

Obama: Constitution stained by 'sin of slavery'

The United States Constitution "was stained by this nation's original sin of slavery," Sen. Barack Obama said today. His speech comes after spending the weekend on the defensive over racially charged statements from his former minister. full story

You will notice this when your on the front page on cnn

So it seems that obama hates the Constitution :rolleyes:
Who knew.

He is actually correct. The problem is he isn't going to correct the errors we made.

We were still too racist to give black people equal rights. Giving them equal rights would mean they could own guns, and the idea of freeing a slave and then giving them access to a gun was something people weren't too keen on.

So we stained the constitution by granting them equal privileges, not equal rights.