PDA

View Full Version : New Letter from Rand Paul

BigFatRock
03-17-2008, 08:10 PM
On campaign frontpage -

The Ron Paul Campaign: The Glass is Half Full (3/17/08)

By Rand Paul, MD

Analysis of Ron Paul's success or failure all seem to miss the mark. Many critics point to this or that ad or this or that tactic that prevented victory. I think such analysis misses the forest for the trees.

I believe that no candidate can win the presidency without the day in and day out constant television coverage. In other words, unless the media grants you first tier coverage, the electorate will not vote for you in significant numbers. A large percentage of voters will not vote for a candidate they don't believe can win and that belief in "winnability" is still entirely controlled by the MSM.

That said, I think we should revel in the extraordinary successes of the campaign.

Ron Paul began with nearly zero name recognition and was relegated from the beginning by all MSM media to the second tier. I believe pundits should recognize the great strides in achieving between 5 and 10% of the vote in almost every state and receiving 11% in a Rasmussen poll running as a third party candidate. Not to mention over 20% in several caucus states, including second place in Nevada, Montana, and Louisiana.

Ron Paul's name recognition nationally now likely exceeds 50% of the electorate.

Any analysis must begin by acknowledging that many better-known US Senators and Governors received less of the popular vote. Many such as Biden and Dodd received less than 1% even though they have been staples of the Sunday morning news programs for decades. Not to mention the fact that Ron Paul trounced candidates with far greater name recognition such as Fred Thompson and Rudy Guliani.

I believe Ron Paul gained nearly the maximum possible vote in a Republican Party primary. Polls in NH show that only 6% of Republicans believe in immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq. Nearly 50% believe in some in-between position or reassessment of war strategy. About 30% believe in "staying the course" no matter what.

In Michigan, 37% of the Republicans expressed displeasure about the Iraq War and the vast majority of these same people voted for McCain. I believe his image as someone who will challenge Bush and the establishment blinded these voters to his public comments on continuing the war for 100 years if necessary. I also believe if the poll questions asked about "immediate withdrawal" that the percentage in the Republican primary is closer to 6% nationally.

After the last NH presidential debate, I turned around to Chris Matthews and tried to get him to host Ron Paul because Fox was excluding us the next night. His eyes glazed over a bit and he thought about Ron Paul and the Iraq war. You could tell by his response. He said, you know, Ronald Reagan probably wouldn't have gotten us into the Iraq War. Trying to be agreeable, I nodded my head. He then followed by adding that if McCain had been president we also probably wouldn't have gone into Iraq.

I shook my head in disbelief and reminded him that the day before McCain had made the comment that he would keep the troops in Iraq for 100 years. Matthews hemmed and hawed and said, "Oh, he's just being a good soldier now."

My take, Matthews and the liberals in the media love McCain so much for his pandering to their global warming agenda that they simply give him a pass on the war.

In the final analysis, I believe about 5-10% of the Republican Party are ready for a non-interventionist foreign policy and Ron Paul got that vote. A significant portion of the electorate heard Ron Paul's chastisement on the huge federal deficits and nodded their heads in agreement. Innumerable Republicans come up to me and love much of the Ron Paul message, but can't quite come to agree with the foreign policy of non-intervention.

On foreign policy, at some level, they listened to the message about the erosion of our civil liberties but could not escape the image of helicopters fleeing the embassy in Saigon in 1975. This image still bothers many Republicans and they can't embrace a quick exit from Iraq even if they know in their heart of hearts we need to leave.

My interpretation of the Ron Paul Revolution, though a biased one as the son of the candidate is that we should rejoice in getting 5-10% of the vote given that we got 1/1000th of the media attention and did not get enough attention to enter the realms of winnability in the public's mind.

To me, though, the campaign remains an unqualified success. My prediction for 2008: an utter crushing defeat for Republicans. Not out of anger for Ron Paul's loss, I think he won, but because Republicans are failing on two fronts: not living up to the promises of limited government and balanced budgets and failing to understand how unpopular the Iraq War has become.

One last prediction! We will elect at least one Ron Paul Republican to Congress this year.

Rand Paul, MD

Bowling Green, KY

purplechoe
03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
good read, thanks for posting

Mahkato
03-17-2008, 09:35 PM
I've often wondered what the primaries would have been like if there was no war going on.

phuqig_hotband
03-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Looks like both Ron Paul and Rand Paul are now "realists/pessimists/defeatists" about Ron Pauls chances at the Republican nomination. Ban them from the forums!

pepperpete1
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I feel we made very good strides what with the obstacles that were put in our way.

Ron Paul may have "won" but America lost. Unless those delegates that are really still uncommitted vote for Ron Paul, it is down hill from St. Paul.

It is my fervent wish that one of the things that the newly installed Paul people do when they get into office, is to take the Broadcasting Networks to task. They broke so many rules and regulations. Washington has abandoned it's obligation to hold those stations accountable to the public interest. Each candidate should have been given equal airtime and then held accountable for what they had to say during that airtime.

Our mass communicators have taken it upon themselves to sell the candidates that they thought would bring the most money to their networks. Even though they are private companys, they have a duty to the American public, who gives them their profits, to report the truth and ALL the truth in an ethical manner

Tdcci
03-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Looks like both Ron Paul and Rand Paul are now "realists/pessimists/defeatists" about Ron Pauls chances at the Republican nomination. Ban them from the forums!

They're not plastering their beliefs over every thread with a bright idea.

phuqig_hotband
03-17-2008, 11:33 PM
They're not plastering their beliefs over every thread with a bright idea.

But if they did, they would be trolls.

HollyforRP
03-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Great comment. Agreed!

JWZguy
03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
But if they did, they would be trolls.

Which is why they wouldn't do it and why your original comment was asinine.

Everyone should be fighting as hard as they can, no matter what. If you don't have anything productive to say, just keep your mouth shut.

phuqig_hotband
03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Which is why they wouldn't do it and why your original comment was asinine.

Everyone should be fighting as hard as they can, no matter what. If you don't have anything productive to say, just keep your mouth shut.

It was productive, you just don’t see how. I was basically showing how Ron and Rand Paul have the same position regarding the possibility of nomination as the "Realists, Defeatists, Pessimists" Isn't that Ironic? BTW, you just said Rand and Ron Paul would never voice their opinion about not winning the Republican nomination on Ronpaulforums because they would be trolls if they did. I hope you can see the humor in that.

JWZguy
03-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Rand Paul and Ron Paul aren't trolling on our forums and trying to rile people up. They're also not trying to discourage people from getting support for Ron Paul's campaign, regardless of the "odds." So no, I'm not saying that, and no, you're not being productive.

sidster
03-18-2008, 12:37 AM
On campaign frontpage -
Great post... I didn't receive this email message. Was it from the
"official" campaign site?

... but few comments from me below:

Ron Paul began with nearly zero name recognition ...Ron Paul's name recognition nationally now likely exceeds 50% of the electorate.

50% nationally seems a bit high IMO. Based on my personal
experience talking with random folks around town (So Cal) I
would put this figure for So Cal at around maybe 25%, and
much less if you are counting folks that actually know something
of significance about what Ron Paul stands for.

My take, ... the liberals in the media love McCain so much for his pandering to their global warming agenda that they simply give him a pass on the war.
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate statement. To me, McCain
comes off as a false Republican. He really is a liberal Democrat but
dons a Republican cape from time to time...

Polls in NH show that only 6% of Republicans believe in immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq. Nearly 50% believe in some in-between position or reassessment of war strategy. About 30% believe in "staying the course" no matter what.
In Michigan, 37% of the Republicans expressed displeasure about the Iraq War and the vast majority of these same people voted for McCain.
In the final analysis, I believe about 5-10% of the Republican Party are ready for a non-interventionist foreign policy and Ron Paul got that vote. A significant portion of the electorate heard Ron Paul's chastisement on the huge federal deficits and nodded their heads in agreement. Innumerable Republicans come up to me and love much of the Ron Paul message, but can't quite come to agree with the foreign policy of non-intervention.

Here, that last sentence is very key. I meet a LOT of these people
who are frightened of what "evil" may be waiting for them if we
are not in the Middle East "smokin' it out".

The 9/11 'event' was truly a brilliant tool to use in getting the masses
to believe everything they are told. It really frightened Americans
about the "dangers" that they may have to face if the government
didn't step in, take charge and save them from this "evil".

They are truly afraid that as soon as we step away from Iraq and the
Middle East, even if we ease up a slight bit, that the "evil" will seize
the opportunity to strike back again.

I believe that the only way to get more Americans to understand and
embrace the message Ron Paul champions is to figure out a way to
cure the populous of this "fear".

phuqig_hotband
03-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Rand Paul and Ron Paul aren't trolling on our forums and trying to rile people up. They're also not trying to discourage people from getting support for Ron Paul's campaign, regardless of the "odds." So no, I'm not saying that, and no, you're not being productive.

Baseless claims, False accusations, Shirking of responsibility....

Tools of the disgraced.

alaric
03-18-2008, 02:18 AM
I've often wondered what the primaries would have been like if there was no war going on.

I've wondered what the results would have been if they counted the votes correctly. No way NH voters were stupid enough to vote for mctraitor.

jointhefightforfreedom
03-18-2008, 03:50 AM
I feel we made very good strides what with the obstacles that were put in our way.

Ron Paul may have "won" but America lost. Unless those delegates that are really still uncommitted vote for Ron Paul, it is down hill from St. Paul.

It is my fervent wish that one of the things that the newly installed Paul people do when they get into office, is to take the Broadcasting Networks to task. They broke so many rules and regulations. Washington has abandoned it's obligation to hold those stations accountable to the public interest. Each candidate should have been given equal airtime and then held accountable for what they had to say during that airtime.

Our mass communicators have taken it upon themselves to sell the candidates that they thought would bring the most money to their networks. Even though they are private companys, they have a duty to the American public, who gives them their profits, to report the truth and ALL the truth in an ethical manner

why is is that nudity and bad laguage are so fervently fought against on MSM
but
They are completely allowed to perpetrate such agregious lies to the american people when it comes to elections and politics!!
THAT TO ME IS WHAT IS obscene
propossed warning for all political shows and news agencies!

"Warning this program may contain lies, personal agendas, uncorroborated news commentary and or cowardess of our political leaders. Due to the distressing nature of the following program,
Viewer Discretion is Advised."

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-18-2008, 06:32 AM

If this is real, then I'd like to think that his 'realism' is
all part of what we want the MSM to believe and report. :eek: ;)

SteveMartin
03-18-2008, 06:51 AM
I think Rand and Ron are wonderful American patriots. I don't think everybody in the paid staff is/was. A lot of internal damage was done.

That having been said, I still marvel at how much we've accomplished, but I know we could have done even more, and 2/3 of Ron Paul's most devoted followers STILL BELIEVE he can/could/should go do it as an Independent.

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-18-2008, 07:01 AM
I think Rand and Ron are wonderful American patriots. I don't think everybody in the paid staff is/was. A lot of internal damage was done.

That having been said, I still marvel at how much we've accomplished, but I know we could have done even more, and 2/3 of Ron Paul's most devoted followers STILL BELIEVE he can/could/should go do it as an Independent.

Not as an independent!
McCain is quickly losing his health... and his mind!

armstrong
03-18-2008, 07:39 AM
we need Jessie Ventura somehow involved

SteveMartin
03-18-2008, 07:48 AM
If McCain blows up, they trot out Romney. If Romney trips up, they trot out Huckabee. If Huckabee fails, they will trot out ANYBODY BUT RON PAUL. Ron Paul will be the nominee ONLY if David Rockefeller and his thousands of cohorts suddenly all get "raptured" to hell where they belong, or---if there is a successful military coup by patriotic officers. Neither of those is likely to happen.

Political reality folks.

If we are in it to "build a movement" and hope we have 20+ years to turn the country around, we are doing exactly as we should.

If we believe we don't have that kind of time, and Indy run is the only chance.

acptulsa
03-18-2008, 08:02 AM
"Warning this program may contain lies, personal agendas, uncorroborated news commentary and or cowardess of our political leaders. Due to the distressing nature of the following program,
Viewer Discretion is Advised."

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this. I think I'll just nod sagely instead.

Revolution9
03-18-2008, 09:02 AM
It was productive, you just don’t see how. I was basically showing how Ron and Rand Paul have the same position regarding the possibility of nomination as the "Realists, Defeatists, Pessimists" Isn't that Ironic? BTW, you just said Rand and Ron Paul would never voice their opinion about not winning the Republican nomination on Ronpaulforums because they would be trolls if they did. I hope you can see the humor in that.

Yer wrong. It is up to your "mighty" intellect to discern how.. The devil is n the detail.

HTH
Randy

RollOn2day
03-18-2008, 09:17 AM
If McCain blows up, they trot out Romney. If Romney trips up, they trot out Huckabee. If Huckabee fails, they will trot out ANYBODY BUT RON PAUL. Ron Paul will be the nominee ONLY if David Rockefeller and his thousands of cohorts suddenly all get "raptured" to hell where they belong, or---if there is a successful military coup by patriotic officers. Neither of those is likely to happen.

Political reality folks.

If we are in it to "build a movement" and hope we have 20+ years to turn the country around, we are doing exactly as we should.

If we believe we don't have that kind of time, and Indy run is the only chance.

Exactly! Anyone who thinks Ron Paul will get the GOP nomination by some twist of fate is entirely wrong.

The GOP will NEVER give the nod to Ron Paul! This point is missed by all the "McCain is really sick and will step down" crowd. Even if he does, Ron Paul is not going to recieve the nom.

Fact is: We don't have 20 years to turn this around
Fact is: 1-5 more "Ron Paul" congressman won't make a lick of difference
Fact is: If we were serious about getting the message out (cause it ain't out yet)....we would be talking about an independent run. And the media WOULD give him air time! Why? Because it IS news! They love to stir the pot and this would stir it up more than anything.

This movement was made up mostly by non-Republicans! To change the battle cry from " Lets turn this country around!" to " Lets see if we can take over the Republican Party" was suicide for the movement, ill timed and totally unnecessary. To the 80% of the movement that had pitchforks in hand, it was the cry that said "Put down your weapons and go home...its over." And as the numbers participating on this forum and the contributions to the campaign testify....thats exactly what most people did....go home. Without so much as a whimper.

And to all the tired arguments that independents/third parties don't win the presidency, I bring to your attention that neither do women or black men. But you would concede that those walls might come tumbling down this year! If you don't think this country is hungry for a third choice other than what the Dems and Repubs are putting in front of us....I don't know what to tell you!

Ron Paul recieving 5% of the GOP vote was the same as would be Barak Obama getting 5% of the KKK vote. Yes a tremendous feat but to extrapolate that if he couldn't do better than that within this demographic, the rest of the country would not support him is BS!

If recieving 5% of the GOP vote is cause for celebration, then pop the champagne and pour me a glass! I think I'm going to need to be inebriated to handle what happens over this next year!

acptulsa
03-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I still say that getting him on the ballot of your state would both "encourage" the G.O.P. to think again by threatening to split their vote and serve as a nice plan B in case the above (as in thinking) is too much to ask of the G.O.P.