PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Debate Poll

billv
05-15-2007, 02:49 PM
The Fox News Poll of the debate winner will be a text message poll tonight. The information is at (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272493,00.html). Everyone please join in so we can get Congressman Paul some more visiblity.

AlexAmore
05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
I ran over to my phone to see if it had text messaging...luckily it did. Funny I never knew about it.

cujothekitten
05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
This is where the younger supporters are really going to shine. I've never used text messaging on my phone but I will tonight. I have a feeling a lot of older republicans aren't used to using the text voting so the youth are really going to run with this.

ratsbew
05-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Too bad I don't own a cell phone...:eek:

amonasro
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
thanks for the info, this will be $.10 well spent :)

amonasro
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Too bad I don't own a cell phone...:eek:

Are there places online where you can send free text messages through your browser?

Lesgov
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
There are seven in my immediate family with cell phones, and we all love Ron.

aravoth
05-15-2007, 03:25 PM
This is where the younger supporters are really going to shine. I've never used text messaging on my phone but I will tonight. I have a feeling a lot of older republicans aren't used to using the text voting so the youth are really going to run with this.

no worries, we got that covered

Lois
05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
We don't own cell phones, either. Are there any other on-line polls for the Debate tonight?

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I do have text messaging, but how do I do this? Fox says to send the text message to "36988". That's neither an email address nor a phone number. Is that going to work?

The code to send them for Ron Paul is "R7" so that's the entire text.

Expect few people over 24 to vote.

amonasro
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
oh it's so easy. usually you create the message first, with the text "R7" then you click finish and enter the number.

36988 is the phone number you send it to, simple as that :)

cujothekitten
05-15-2007, 03:43 PM
oh it's so easy. usually you create the message first, with the text "R7" then you click finish and enter the number.

36988 is the phone number you send it to, simple as that :)

Thanks amonasro, I've been wondering how that worked

ratsbew
05-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Are there places online where you can send free text messages through your browser?
I'll investigate and report back, I think Google might have such a service.

Edit:
Okay, here you go. http://textforfree.net/
Make sure to spread it around! I'm off to blog it now.

Exponent
05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
I'll investigate and report back, I think Google might have such a service.

Edit:
Okay, here you go. http://textforfree.net/
Make sure to spread it around! I'm off to blog it now.
It also asks in step four for the receiver's cellular phone service provider, which cannot be looked up using the supplied link (since it isn't a standard phone number). However, this article (http://www.cdg.org/news/latest_news.asp?hnYY=2003&hnMM=03) seems to indicate that the provider is Verizon, so hopefully that is indeed the case. This will probably be an important piece of information. Some further verification of this would be nice, though, if anyone else knows an appropriate way to check.

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Great. I'm going to send the following message to my state RP Yahoo Group:

Subject: Send your Vote to FoxNews via Text Message

Vote in the Fox News poll "Who Won the Debate?"

Address your text message to "36988" and include only the code "R7" for Ron Paul in the text of the message.

If you don't have a cell phone, you may text message free from this site: http://textforfree.net/ Just enter "36988" as the phone number and "R7" as both the subject and message.

This information from the FoxNews site at
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272493,00.html

MsDoodahs
05-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Wow, you guys! THANKS!

I have no idea how to send a text message on the cell phone, so I thought I wouldn't get to participate.

Now, I can! :)

Korey Kaczynski
05-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Great. I'm going to send the following message to my state RP Yahoo Group:

Subject: Send your Vote to FoxNews via Text Message

Vote in the Fox News poll "Who Won the Debate?"

Address your text message to "36988" and include only the code "R7" for Ron Paul in the text of the message.

If you don't have a cell phone, you may text message free from this site: http://textforfree.net/ Just enter "36988" as the phone number and "R7" as both the subject and message.

This information from the FoxNews site at
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272493,00.html

Text for free is a bad idea because it'd look like people would be flooding votes in from 1 number. Pointless.

ratsbew
05-15-2007, 04:11 PM
It also asks in step four for the receiver's cellular phone service provider, which cannot be looked up using the supplied link (since it isn't a standard phone number). However, this article (http://www.cdg.org/news/latest_news.asp?hnYY=2003&hnMM=03) seems to indicate that the provider is Verizon, so hopefully that is indeed the case. This will probably be an important piece of information. Some further verification of this would be nice, though, if anyone else knows an appropriate way to check.
I'm just hoping that that particular number doesn't get "blacklisted" since presumably the same number sends results from everybody.

Oops, Korey beat me to it.

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Just realizing, that text for free does nothing you can't do from your email. It just takes the phone number, then the provider you specify, and turns it into an email address. So the test message I just sent went to 36988@vtext.com.

How do we know it is Verizon? If it is, we can all just send emails to the above address and that will be the same as a text message.

I'm going to test something else. If anyone else can figure what email address to send the votes to, chime in.

JoshLowry
05-15-2007, 04:22 PM
They may not count a text message from an email as an official "vote"

You could send ten thousand emails in a few minutes from one computer if you knew what you were doing.

I will just send my vote from my phone, don't want him to look too good to be true. ;)

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-15-2007, 04:34 PM
I was just thinking about people who didn't have text. They will probably filter so that only 1 voter per sender counts, so only 1 per phone number or 1 per email address. That's how I'd do it. :)

amonasro
05-15-2007, 04:35 PM
yeah just one vote per person, or phone or computer i think. if you don't have a phone the online service is a good idea, but it may not count. we don't want to be labeled as spammers again.

aravoth
05-15-2007, 04:36 PM
You can't spam the text line. Unless you have multiple cell phones with multiple numbers. Thats probably why they are doing it. Trying to avoid any nuttiness.

DrStrabismus
05-15-2007, 04:49 PM
It's OK, I have 3 cell phones (don't ask)!!! I'll vote all of them in place of two people who don't have them!

Sparx
05-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Good stuff. I'll be sure to get all family members with a cell ready. :)

Brandybuck
05-15-2007, 07:45 PM
My phone won't accept anything but a complete phone number. 36988 ain't a complete phone number.

Hancock1776
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Kick some ass, Doctor.

qednick
05-15-2007, 09:13 PM
According to MSNBC and even Fox News itself, he IS KICKING ASS right now!!! :D

Hawaii Libertarian
05-15-2007, 09:38 PM
As of 11:30 PM EDT, Fox announced that Paul was still leading Romney 29 percent to 27 percent with over 29,000 votes cast!

aravoth
05-15-2007, 09:39 PM
O.o holy shit

Stinker
05-15-2007, 09:43 PM
lol Paul just owned hannity

Hawaii Libertarian
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Hannity must be really feeling relieved by now.

Hannity disgraced himself immensely by being very disrespectful during the Hannity and Colmes interview of Dr. Paul. Still, they probably thought Dr. Paul would be in last place with single digit positives. Dr. Paul stated he would not consider a third party run if he doesn't get the Republican nomination, which is expected, but disappointing nevertheless.

Melchior
05-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Hannity must be really feeling relieved by now.

Hannity disgraced himself immensely by being very disrespectful during the Hannity and Colmes interview of Dr. Paul. Still, they probably thought Dr. Paul would be in last place with single digit positives. Dr. Paul stated he would not consider a third party run if he doesn't get the Republican nomination, which is expected, but disappointing nevertheless.

If Ron Paul loses the Republican nomination I would be looking at who the Libertarian party is presenting.

Ron Paul is not my first choice, but he's the only libetarianesque (sp?) candidate running in the two main parties, and has a chance to win.

billv
05-15-2007, 10:49 PM
He's the only real candidate running for President in either party becuase he respects the authority over all other law in the United States, the Constitution. All others are hacks.