PDA

View Full Version : Msg from Tom Lizardo - RP's policy adviser/Chief of Staff

tangent4ronpaul
03-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I am forwarding some messages from Tom Lizardo. He is Ron Paul's long time policy adviser, though his official title is Chief of Staff in the Congressional (official government) Office.

The first part is his response to the MO caucus lessons learned/experience. The second is part of an e-mail in follow-up.

-n

MSG 1:

Learning is always good.
Anybody who thought this would be easy should understand that easy
is not what this business is or is all about. This will take time,
commitment and training. People have shown they are ready for that
but, are they really and truly ready to "go the distance" on a
multi-year process?

People talking about being "future libertarians" (ie LP folks)
don't understand that if we choose to live in a political ghetto we'll
be doing just what the establishment wants. We need to fight a long
battle to retake this party, our party (and it is OURS even for people
who have never been in it before!).

The fact is that we have done far better at caucus than in
primaries. When we have a stronger team running the primary efforts
we'll begin to do better there. We got about 5-% in Texas and still
did pretty well at the caucuses. Imagine if we had been able to secure
30-40% of the popular vote in Texas how well we'd do at caucuses and
conventions.

If folks do the rational and long-term oriented things then "the best is yet to
come."

Everybody needs to keep their head up and keep moving forward.

==

MSG 2:

[...]

I have been described by some as a "long time political adviser" -- my title is Chief of Staff in the Congressional (official government) Office. But, I have been a paid staffer and consultant on Congressional campaigns in past years and worked with Ron when he came back to Congress in 1996. I have also been a "volunteer" and "supporter" for both Ron's Presidential campaigns and several of his Congressional campaigns when I was not on the paid staff.

Most of Ron's staff folks are "non-political" (have not been heavily engaged in electoral politics) whereas I (along with people like Penny, Mark Elam and a few others -- mostly consultants) have been closely involved with his successful electoral endeavors.

I have no problem with you sending out my thoughts -- but I do not wish to appear (or to be) too harsh on the LP, I believe it serves a useful function -- the answer to the GOP establishment mistreating movement folks has never (in my opinion) been to "start our own outside party" instead it has been to fight them, and to take over the party.

This is not an easy mission. They will fight to keep control and "use every rule" (and likely violate several). What THEY WANT is for our people to "get frustrated and go away" (to the LP, etc). The answer then is to do the opposite. It is to become a precinct chairman, and then a city or town chairman, and then a county chair and then a state chair. It is to run for state committee, and national committee etc, etc, etc.

First we need to reclaim the movement, then the party, and then the country. That is a paraphrase of Pat Buchanan but it is a pretty accurate political assessment. The Bushies did not hand the party to the Reaganites (before they gave it right back) -- it was a battle. People who don't like being mistreated by their opposition will not survive this business.

The ironic thing is that the LP, the Constitution Party, etc all have "in fighting" as well. The problem is that they are heretofore unable to make serious electoral gains. I'm not young enough to wait for the LP to become politically viable. I want to start winning battles soon, now, not in two decades. It may take that long to win the war, but we need to be fighting with some chance of winning some battles.

Tom

SteveMartin
03-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I only wish I were also still young enough (and unread enough) to still blissfully believe we have time enough to change the RP before the clock strikes midnight.

Tom is right. We do not have time either for the LP to become viable, or (IMO) for us to change the RP significantly enough (and in time) to save our country. I did not sign up to "create a movement." I've been there and done that, and they have always died out. I signed on to win the White House--something, we are all belatedly discovering, nobody in Arlington (or even RP himself) set out, apparently, to do.

If I had known at the beginning what I know now, I would have insisted (as many tried to do) that TL run this campaign along with Penny Langford. We'd be even further ahead for sure then where we are now.

Truth is sometimes a hard thing to swallow. We have built a tenuous movement that may or may not last, we have totally marginalized the 9-11 movement which is now "even more whacky than that guy Ron Paul," and we have allowed people to give up their homes and their jobs to pad a database with email addresses, and put many (even unpatriotic) people on the lists at NSA, CIA, and DHS. We've awakened a few, yes, but what we (so far--if things don't change dramatcially) have really done is just filled out tickets for the FEMA camps.

MikeSmith
03-17-2008, 01:19 PM
I only wish I were also still young enough (and unread enough) to still blissfully believe we have time enough to change the RP before the clock strikes midnight.

Tom is right. We do not have time either for the LP to become viable, or (IMO) for us to change the RP significantly enough (and in time) to save our country. I did not sign up to "create a movement." I've been there and done that, and they have always died out. I signed on to win the White House--something, we are all belatedly discovering, nobody in Arlington (or even RP himself) set out, apparently, to do.

If I had known at the beginning what I know now, I would have insisted (as many tried to do) that TL run this campaign along with Penny Langford. We'd be even further ahead for sure then where we are now.

Truth is sometimes a hard thing to swallow. We have built a tenuous movement that may or may not last, we have totally marginalized the 9-11 movement which is now "even more whacky than that guy Ron Paul," and we have allowed people to give up their homes and their jobs to pad a database with email addresses, and put many (even unpatriotic) people on the lists at NSA, CIA, and DHS. We've awakened a few, yes, but what we (so far--if things don't change dramatcially) have really done is just filled out tickets for the FEMA camps.

thank you, Sunshine

SteveMartin
03-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Your welcome, Pumpkin.

Truth is sometimes difficult to swallow, but it is still truth.

MikeSmith
03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Your welcome, Pumpkin.

Truth is sometimes difficult to swallow, but it is still truth.

I take it you'll be moving to Liberty Island to avoid the FEMA camps?

SteveMartin
03-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Maybe

MikeSmith
03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Bump - the first post in this thread is good

ARealConservative
03-17-2008, 03:03 PM

I'm stopping here.

We have two choices -

1) fight the two party system by taking back one of the parties

2) fight the two party system by trying to replace one of the parties with a new party

If you think option 2 is the way to go, then go do it. You are done with this movement. This is a grass roots support for Ron Paul's way of doing it - which is choice #1.

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm glad to hear this.

I've never been into politics and think that the labels
of dem and repub are limiting at best if not disasterous
for unity and freedom.

Nonethe less, I'm 100% optimistic that WE can dominate
the republican party to create the largest freedom vehicle
in history.

Hunter

ronpaulhawaii
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm stopping here.

We have two choices -

1) fight the two party system by taking back one of the parties

2) fight the two party system by trying to replace one of the parties with a new party

If you think option 2 is the way to go, then go do it. You are done with this movement. This is a grass roots support for Ron Paul's way of doing it - which is choice #1.

+2008 + 2010 +2012 ...

tangent4ronpaul
03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Response from Penny Langford to this:

I concur, and anyone who thought that we were going to be met at the Whitehouse door with the gift of liberty tied up in a pink bow, in this one election, doesn't understand the system that we've allowed to enslave us. It isn't the voters that are in control at the present. It's the one's counting the votes.

Think about it. Taking over, reforming or regaining,( whatever you want to call it) a country is messy, messy business and will require time, sacrifice and a smarter, strategic plan to choke down our big government et.al. competitor. I have many ideas and will be sharing them soon.

Penny

Hook
03-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I know I'm shallow, but I'm not sure I can trust a guy named Lizardo.
:D

ARealConservative
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
I know I'm shallow, but I'm not sure I can trust a guy named Lizardo.
:D

That isn't shallow, it's naive.

What you need to worry about is somebody claiming the name of Tom SaintFree or Tom Godman because only a fool would spoof a scary name like Lizardo. :D

Ball
03-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Better to infiltrate both existing parties with the short term goal of draining the swamp for neo-cons and other crazies and a long term goal of making partisanship less important.

Party politics is BS, and so is the LP. They completely dropped the ball on the war and lost all relevance. It ought to be transformed into a non-partisan caucus/PAC which supports single issues like Prop 215.

cjhowe
03-18-2008, 03:39 AM
We need to fight a long
battle to retake this party, our party (and it is OURS even for people
who have never been in it before!).

You are not interlopers or intruders on the rich inheritance of liberty; your share of these rights, were bought and nobly paid for by the blood and toils and suffering of more than one ancestor. Your Ancestors in the first place have been long on the soil contributing to them, subduing the wilderness and the early settlement of the country bearing all the toils and hardship natural to such enterprises. And when the great war for liberty was commenced sacrificing every comfort and convenience and cheerfully taking up arms for the great cause, never ceased nor quit until the great work was accomplished and this country saved. - George W. Davis

COME AND TAKE IT!

SteveMartin
03-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Penny,

Thank you!! I can not wait!!! We desperately need new direction, and it certainly had better not include putting the remaining campaign funds into anything controlled by Kent Snyder.