PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul delegates taking charge..

slacker921
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/10514

Ron Paul supporters control Republican county conventions

UPDATE, 10:45: A Ron Paul volunteer and organizer in Kansas City confirms that the Jackson County Republican caucus elected a nearly-complete slate of Paul delegates at its convention Saturday.

Larry Holland says the caucus elected more than 170 Paul delegates out of an estimated 187 available. Those delegates will eventually, directly and indirectly, pick delegates to the Republican National Convention.

"We all know that on the first ballot, we have to vote for McCain," Holland said, but "we can also help affect the Republican platform, and bring it back to its conservative, libertarian values."

Holland also says Jackson County Republican chairman Bunk Farrington walked out of the session, held at William Chrisman High School. We've got a call in to him.

Ron Paul supporters packed caucuses in other counties, with mixed results.

- - -

Details are sketchy, but we're told supporters of Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul took over party conventions in several Missouri counties Saturday, including Jackson County, electing Ron Paul slates in several of them.

Delegates elected at the county level will attend congressional district conventions in several weeks, where roughly half of the state's delegates to the Republican National Convention will be picked.

The rest will be picked at the party's state convention in late May and early June, again by delegates picked by the county convention attendees.

As a practical matter, though, electing Paul delegates -- even at the state convention, planned for late May and early June -- won't change the presidential nomination picture. Missouri is a winner-take-all state for the GOP and delegates are bound to vote for John McCain on the first ballot. There won't be a second.

But Paul delegates could influence platform discussions at the state level, and, if sent to the national convention, could saddle McCain with a platform he won't be happy with.

We're told the Jackson County convention was a bit raucous. We're gathering info and will have more here later.

european
03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
lol ace :)
thats the only way to do it imo (both thumbs up)
a revolution without bloodshed takes time and building a base. thats what is happening here.

MozoVote
03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
The writer is saying that all of this doesn't matter because McCain will still get Missouri's delegates. Maybe he will.

But what he is missing, is the longer term implications. If the Paul bloc controls the county apparatus, it will be filling vacancies as local politicians retire or quit. These people could be re-elected as incumbents and become "real" politicians several years down the road.

sean43
03-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Made another video about Ron Paul. The revolution will continue even here in the UK!
The song is Wild American by Kris Kristofferson, listen to the lyrics as I think it fits perfectly with the what RP has been about.

I want to get a number 1 video for here in the UK to keep spreading the message. Please view, bump and rate to help! Any feedback is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDyYD2wZIEU

amonasro
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I wonder what the implications of bound delegates voting for Paul instead of McCain at the Convention would be....

libertythor
03-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I can't wait to see how things went in the other counties. There are about 100 more to hear about.

And to "GoPaul08" who keeps calling this stupid and pointless and insults the people working hard on this project, getting elected to party positions and changing the platform isn't stupid and pointless. Delegates do a lot more than nominate candidates. I am not prone to call people trolls here, but this time I can announce loudly that in my opinion you are a troll.

libertythor
03-17-2008, 11:18 AM
If enough delegates are sent to state conventions to send a slate of RP supporters, they can probably get unbound on a rules vote on the state convention floor. If that doesn't happen, they can still vote liberty-minded folks to national GOP positions and overhaul the platform.

Either way this project can be a success.

I wonder what the implications of bound delegates voting for Paul instead of McCain at the Convention would be....

Phantom
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
amonasro, make sure to listen to Dr Steven Parent tonight at 9pm on Ron Paul Revolution Radio (http://www.rprradio.com/). He will be explaining the delegate process.