PDA

View Full Version : Why are you guys not donating to the High Tide Ad?

ClayTrainor
03-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Seriously,

Why has there only been 31 donors so far? This is by far the most spectacular ad we've seen yet, and it could have a very powerful impact on the minds of alot of sheep. The graphics are good, the message is clear, and it has the ability to capture attention much in the way a Pixar movie does (they always get KILLER roi on their ad investments).

I say we money bomb this thing like we did with the campaign. If we can get $1m+ for this ad we could run a pretty badass campaign with this ad in one of the upcoming states and i truly think this would make an impact!

Im confused at the lack of enthusiasm in this ad.

I will lay down $100 to get the ball rolling.

Donate now, and lets start planning a money bomb for this thing, what do you think?

I just realized there's another thread on this.... but still the DONATIONS SUCK!

we really need to step it up for this ad!

bcreps85
03-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Unfortunately the numbers on this board seem to have dropped. On top of that many people are probably broke as hell...I know I am. I'm literally skipping meals at this point...

Fields
03-17-2008, 05:08 AM
No money comrad.

Geronimo
03-17-2008, 05:16 AM
I don't like the ad and I don't have the $$ anyway.

amy31416
03-17-2008, 05:48 AM
I think the ad is cool, but I'm spending money on getting other people elected to the house and senate so Ron will have some allies.

Plus, I just don't know where you'd air the ad--it's nice, like I said. The video game quality lends itself to being viewed by the under 18 gaming crowd, and I think would turn off most older people.

AdamT
03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
...I just don't know where you'd air the ad.....

It's going to be airing in PA before their primary on April 22nd.

amy31416
03-17-2008, 07:17 AM

Who is it targeting?

ClayTrainor
03-17-2008, 08:30 AM

interesting coincidence. that's my birthday :D

d03boy
03-17-2008, 08:30 AM
I don't think this is the type of ad we need

voytechs
03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Just donated.

soapmistress
03-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Some of us are just new. :)

I'm still trying to figure out how this works - can regular people pay for political ads out of pocket? Do they have to report it to the FEC? Don't they have to say "I'm Ron Paul and I approve this message."?

ClayTrainor
03-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't think this is the type of ad we need
So what do you think we need? the same old boring ass, low quality ads that HQ keeps pumping out?

Screw that, this is exactly the type of ad we need. I'm a successful marketing guru and i can tell you that this ad will definitely catch the attention of ALOT of people if aired. It will stand out from the rest of the ads (pringles, coke, geico etc).

This ad is almost movie quality in it's production and the fact that we arent pimping it makes me think that this revolution is really too divided these days :(

I cant beleive im reaponsible for 1/10th of the donations for this ad :(

Just donated.

Excellent, thanks man!

soapmistress
03-17-2008, 08:43 AM
I knew about Ron Paul maybe around Christmas time but didn't go to his website and really dig around until 3 days before super Tuesday when my husband said he didn't like any of the candidates. I told him about Ron Paul and he said he didn't know of him. After I showed him some video clips I noticed more about the movement. I immediately signed on to help but it was pretty late in the game. THere are others like me! I'm seeing a few Ron Paul bumper stickers in the school parking lot where there were none before. I think taking the donation ticker down was a bummer. I really think there will be more people coming our way.

soapmistress
03-17-2008, 08:44 AM
I plan to keep donating as long as I can. To projects, to LPAC and to the campaign.

AdamT
03-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Some of us are just new. :)

I'm still trying to figure out how this works - can regular people pay for political ads out of pocket? Do they have to report it to the FEC? Don't they have to say "I'm Ron Paul and I approve this message."?

Yes, our PAC can accept a maximum of $5000 per person/year (donations to the official RP campaign do not count). The PAC files reports to the FEC, individual donors don't have to file anything.

The version we air on TV will include a disclaimer at the end.

runningdiz
03-17-2008, 09:16 AM
I think its a really good piece of art to help boost morale and pump up the base of Ron Paul supporters who may have taken a break or need a boost. I think its a great piece of art but as an ad to get new people. First it makes our candidate look like a robot, it talks mostly about a revolution which will confuse people, it does not say much of what he stands for. LIsten to the video the first 30 seconds is good at getting across the point of what he stands for the last 30 seconds though is about a revolution which will completely confuse people. When i watched it to me it seemed like the creator of this video was clearly trying to reenergize the base. I dont see how it will be as effective as you all claim.

robertwerden
03-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Save your money. We will need it for the Delegates who get elected to the national convention.
These delegates will need to pay for travel expenses for 1-3 days and some will not be able to afford the trip. The last thing we want is a Ron Paul delegate at the national convention to drop out due to lack of funds.

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
So what do you think we need? the same old boring ass, low quality ads that HQ keeps pumping out?

Screw that, this is exactly the type of ad we need. I'm a successful marketing guru and i can tell you that this ad will definitely catch the attention of ALOT of people if aired. It will stand out from the rest of the ads (pringles, coke, geico etc).

This ad is almost movie quality in it's production and the fact that we arent pimping it makes me think that this revolution is really too divided these days :(

I cant beleive im reaponsible for 1/10th of the donations for this ad :(

Excellent, thanks man!

'Successful' anything don't call themselves 'gurus'. :confused:

ClayTrainor
03-17-2008, 09:33 AM
'Successful' anything don't call themselves 'gurus'. :confused:

did i use the wrong word? i dont normally talk about my success, but i felt the need to bring it up here just because this has alot to do with marketing.

i do apologize if guru was not the right word and cant be self-proclaimed.

regardless... i sense you are trying to start something i do not wish to partake in. Please dont try to start fights with people here if indeed that is what your doing with me (im not sure :)).

You dont have to beleive in my success, but you dont have to insult me either which seems to be the purpose of your post.

slamhead
03-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Because I donated to http://www.operationbroadcastfreedom.com/ and I have no idea if my money was spent on ads.

Suzu
03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Save your money. We will need it for the Delegates who get elected to the national convention.
These delegates will need to pay for travel expenses for 1-3 days and some will not be able to afford the trip. The last thing we want is a Ron Paul delegate at the national convention to drop out due to lack of funds.

Absolutely!!!

AdamT
03-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Because I donated to http://www.operationbroadcastfreedom.com/ and I have no idea if my money was spent on ads.

They posted their ad buy contract on their site under the transparency tab. The funds were spent in Michigan just like they said they would be.
http://www.operationbroadcastfreedom.com/Adslots.pdf

AdamT
03-17-2008, 10:28 AM
If some people don't want to donate to The High Tide airtime, you are free not to. But please don't try to discourage others. This is extremely counter-productive.

Thanks.

qh4dotcom
03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I donated $10 already.

AdamT....the donation site forces a donor to pay via Paypal....many people don't have PayPal accounts....personally I hate using Paypal ( too many Paypal horror stories......see paypalsucks.com ) and will only do it as a last resort. It would be nice if you could offer a credit card option.

LibertyIn08
03-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I did a sort of study.

10 of the 13 Seniors I showed it to were impressed.

9 of the 11 Adults I showed it to were impressed.

7 of the 13 Students I showed it to were impressed.

These were all non-RP supporters, mostly McCain and Huckleberry supporters. After seeing the ad, and doing some more research, about 15 of them said they'd definitely support the idea of a Ron Paul presidency (although he may still not be their primary choice), and another 12 held a better impression on Ron after the ad.

If that helps at all.

MikeSmith
03-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I did a sort of study.

These were all non-RP supporters, mostly McCain and Huckleberry supporters. After seeing the ad, and doing some more research, about 15 of them said they'd definitely support the idea of a Ron Paul presidency (although he may still not be their primary choice), and another 12 held a better impression on Ron after the ad.

If that helps at all.

Wow, that's amazing... we definitely should try to get the campaign to run this nationally on one of the major networks at least once.

edit: OptionsTrader, if you're reading this, did you get any response?

yongrel
03-17-2008, 10:57 AM
At this point, all of my money is going towards other Ron Paul republicans. Jim Forsythe, Brent Sanders, Murray Sabrin, Amit Singh, BJ Lawson, Vern McKinley, etc.

More bang for the buck.

AdamT
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I donated $10 already.

AdamT....the donation site forces a donor to pay via Paypal....many people don't have PayPal accounts....personally I hate using Paypal ( too many Paypal horror stories......see paypalsucks.com ) and will only do it as a last resort. It would be nice if you could offer a credit card option.

Thanks! The PAC is not set up to directly accept CCs. If you know a way to do it online outside Paypal please let me know. I'm aware of the Paypal horror stories, although I have not had one myself.

AdamT
03-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I did a sort of study.

If that helps at all.

Wow! Thanks for doing that. Very interesting.

AdamT
03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I received a complaint that The American Liberty Coalition PAC website (http://alcpac.com/) isn't impressive enough, and they are hesitant to donate for that reason.

I am definitely open to improving the site. If there are any web designers here interested in re-designing it pro bono, please PM me with examples of past work.

A. Havnes
03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Sorry, but I'm still broke and unemployed. I can't wait until some money comes in so I can donate, but until then...

flames2dust77
03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks! The PAC is not set up to directly accept CCs. If you know a way to do it online outside Paypal please let me know. I'm aware of the Paypal horror stories, although I have not had one myself.

I donated Saturday night...and I wasn't required to pay with paypal. I don't even have apaypal account. I used my personal debit card. *shrugs* It tells you to pay quicker with paypal...but that's about it.

flames2dust77
03-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Indeed, it's counterproductive to tell others how to spend THEIR OWN money. Dudes, if you don't like the ad; Don't YOU donate. Simple as that. Have a nice day.

I donated a little and won't have more cash until next week....I'll send a bit more then=)

d03boy
03-17-2008, 11:53 AM
... you asked why we weren't donating. If you didn't want to know, you shouldn't have asked. I don't think anyone here is being counter productive. I just simply don't think it will matter at this point in time if this gets aired and I'm low on cash so I'm not going to risk overdrawing for something like this.

mczerone
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Indeed, it's counterproductive to tell others how to spend THEIR OWN money. Dudes, if you don't like the ad; Don't YOU donate. Simple as that. Have a nice day.

I donated a little and won't have more cash until next week....I'll send a bit more then=)

This is pretty much one of the central tenets of our movement - spend your money how best you see fit.

I do understand people that do and don't donate to any of the specific causes, and like MANY others, I'm broke (only 3 bounced checks last month, down from the month before) and I'm in this for the long haul.

jrich4rpaul
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't donate to grassroots efforts. I've seen too many times where money was lost, the account froze, etc.

derdy
03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't donate to grassroots efforts. I've seen too many times where money was lost, the account froze, etc.

does "etc" include all the times the grassroots' efforts were successfully funded and finished to completion like the 10 billboards that went up in St. Louis, the Blimp, billboards in WI, billboards in TX? That kind of etc?

RP4EVER
03-17-2008, 01:25 PM
if whoever is in charge of the ad would PM me to answer a couple of questions I would be interested in donating

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Im confused at the lack of enthusiasm in this ad.

Poor marketing of the ad, purpose, etc. The ad is way better than ads previously run by the campaign, but I never knew what it was or what was supposed to happen with it.

Then there's also the futility that a lot of people are feeling. A lot of primaries have taken place, and people did what they could. Without an independent run, and if primaries have already taken place in your state, it's tough to continue being positive. I'm not saying nothing can be done, but I think that accounts for the lower amount of people still involved and engaged as activists.