PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Buying Gasoline

Geronimo
03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I got this sent to me in a myspace bulletin so I thought I'd pass it on to folks in here.
I don't know how much truth there is to it, but it might be good information to have out there.

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3)stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some f the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!
oil is now $110 a barrel........

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels

Conoco..................0 barrels

Sinclair.................0 barrels

B P/Phillips............0 barrels

Hess.......................0 barrels

ARC0....................0 barrels

If you go to Sunoco. com, you will get a list of the station locations near you.

Crickett
03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Another thing is to use the Discover gas credit card when buying gas. If you use it u get 5% back n every gas purchase and it adds up fast..

Mach
03-16-2008, 11:16 PM
It seems to me one of the best ways to cut back on gas is just not to use it, I can't believe we can send Space Shuttles and satellites into the Universe, but, can't create a vehicle that can run without making someone ridiculous ripoff profits. Free energy! I know craziness, you start your car with gas, then when the belts and tires start turning that in itself creates energy, all that needs to be done now is harness it, you know, kinda like your car battery now, it only starts the car, then the energy is recycled from there on out.

As teenagers we were out somewhere "hanging out", a car broke down (dead battery) near us and didn't know what they were going to do without jumper cables, we told them we would take our battery out, put it in their car, start it, and then put it back in our car and they didn't understand, they said........ but then how are we supposed to be able to drive it from there? Once your car starts you can travel without your battery.......... recycled energy, not all the way free but damn close. Time to up the ante.

Carole
03-16-2008, 11:48 PM
I was talking about this, too.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=128345

Luft97
03-16-2008, 11:51 PM
WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!
oil is now $110 a barrel........

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels

Conoco..................0 barrels

Sinclair.................0 barrels

B P/Phillips............0 barrels

Hess.......................0 barrels

ARC0....................0 barrels

If you go to Sunoco. com, you will get a list of the station locations near you.

The first part is correct. We (The public) buy gasoline at what we in the oil industry call TOV or Total Observed Volume. Oil companies sell and purchase Crude oil and products at a standard of 60 Degrees F GSV or Gross Standard Volume. They take into account product temerature and the gravity of the product corrected to 60 using a Volume Correction Factor or VCF. It is much more exact. We, The Consumer, get the shaft, over the long term but since we are purchasing lower volumes of fuel at a time the correction would not be much in the end for any one transaction.

Wherever the second part came from they are full of it. I can say, with first hand knowledge, MANY of these companies receive oil and intermediate products that originated in the middle east. Maybe not at his facility, but overall yes they do. That is like saying you don't Take quarters from the Denver Mint.

Not to mention BP and Phillips are not affiliated, BP bought out Amoco several years ago, there is no more Amoco. Amoco stations are run in name only using BP gasoline. Same with Diamond Shamrock, they are owned by Valero.

In otherwords, The first part about when to buy gas is correct, the second part about where is some kind of fantasy.

ghemminger
03-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Great Post - Thanks I'm actuall shooting for a non gas lifestyle....

Also heard from a close friend that truckers often steal gas and sell at 40-50k per truck to small mom and pops allowing them to make insane profits $150k per truck - is this true - Was told this by a local indian businessman

thuja
03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
don't even use gasoline to mow your grass, use a reel mower or a scythe if it's very long.

BigRedBrent
03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
The price of gas would not be so high if our dollar wasn't worth so little. I think the focus should be rightfully placed on our mathematically flawed monetary system. This is the biggest problem that we face as a nation. With our economy dramatically weakening we can see the results of our dropping dollar as a result of our flawed federal reserve system. We are using a monetary system that is not mathematically sustainable and will collapse. In the mean time as the dollar plummets in value, our cost of living will continue to sky rocket.

ghemminger
03-17-2008, 12:11 AM
The price of gas would not be so high if our dollar wasn't worth so little. I think the focus should be rightfully placed on our mathematically flawed monetary system. This is the biggest problem that we face as a nation. With our economy dramatically weakening we can see the results of our dropping dollar as a result of our flawed federal reserve system. We are using a monetary system that is not mathematically sustainable and will collapse. In the mean time as the dollar sinks in value our cost of living will sky rocket.

In theory you are right - but most of the inflation seems to be "pouring in to gas" adn things like milk and eggs to a lesser extent! Retail is HELLA cheap right now And I;m stocking up on ALLA...

Why is inflation soo focused on oil right now - will everything else follow and in what stages?

Luft97
03-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Why is inflation soo focused on oil right now - will everything else follow and in what stages?

Simply put the price per barrel of crude oil is tied, for the most part, world wide to the dollar. People refer to the price of oil using the US Dollar as reference. Since the value of one part of the equation is going down the other will rise to reflect it. It is easy to explain but many try and attribute the price rise of oil to "Evil Opec".

ghemminger
03-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Simply put the price per barrel of crude oil is tied, for the most part, world wide to the dollar. People refer to the price of oil using the US Dollar as reference. Since the value of one part of the equation is going down the other will rise to reflect it. It is easy to explain but many try and attribute the price rise of oil to "Evil Opec".

Thank Luft....

So there is a lag on all the consumer items we actually buy.... because they aren't directly related to the rise in commodities....

The comanies first get screwed with wholesale price increases and then what 6? months later pass along the price increases???

Luft97
03-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Thank Luft....

So there is a lag on all the consumer items we actually buy.... because they aren't directly related to the rise in commodities....

The comanies first get screwed with wholesale price increases and then what 6? months later pass along the price increases???

I think everything will follow suit eventually. Higher costs are always passed down to the consumer. With that in mind, higher fuel costs for shipping manufacturing etc. will be factored in at some point. I suppose it will come down to each individual company to sit down with the books to factor it in with their prices.

I think the other problem we face are goods manufactured outside the US. They are not going to want to accept the same dollar ammount for the goods they deliver when the dollar is worth less to them.

ghemminger
03-17-2008, 12:35 AM
I think everything will follow suit eventually. Higher costs are always passed down to the consumer. With that in mind, higher fuel costs for shipping manufacturing etc. will be factored in at some point. I suppose it will come down to each individual company to sit down with the books to factor it in with their prices.

I think the other problem we face are goods manufactured outside the US. They are not going to want to accept the same dollar ammount for the goods they deliver when the dollar is worth less to them.

The question is when? Canned meat from Brazil (high appreciating currency) is still $2.oo at walmart - this is gonna be SCARY interesting to see all this boil down to consumer items

Hi

DAFTEK
03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
BioDiesel is the way to go for now, here in my town it cost the same price as regular and is so much more efficient, also diesels can run on vegy oil if gas ever runs out :)

Have a look at what Europeans drive,
Audi A4 TDI goes over 900 miles on one tank of fuel
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03/17/audi-a4-tdi-goes-over-900-miles-on-one-tank-of-fuel/

i drove the 2007 Toyota Rav4 Diesel and that thing was amazing and got about 5%100km

We wont get these here anytime soon because Americans are sheeped to do what your told where as Europeans get mad and fight back when to much mafia gets in the government to steal from people like they do here in the US :D

acptulsa
03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Biodiesel is an idea whose time is coming, and scrounging a diesel is good sense. Most of the tips on minimizing vapor in the OP are sound, but I must take issue with the idea of never letting the tank get more than half empty. Yes, splashing fuel on the bottom of the tank may cause a little more vapor than splashing it into a pool, but your car gets slightly better mileage when the tank is nearly empty because gas has weight. So, this is at best a zero sum game.

Other mileage tips: Tune ups. Properly inflated tires. And do not use a grade of gas one bit higher in octane than necessary to prevent your engine from knocking. Using too high an octane can send unburned fuel out the exhaust.

ARealConservative
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
The price of gas would not be so high if our dollar wasn't worth so little.

There is also another side to this equation.

I could argue that oil is the most subsidized product in existence.

We spend trillions on a foreign policy designed to make it safe to transfer and consume oil.

Mesogen
03-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Why the hell do we buy tomatoes from south america when we sell our tomatoes to europe? That uses way too much oil. It drives up demand and prices.

Why the hell don't the big chain stores buy local and why can't the farmers sell local?

I don't get it.

Mach
03-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Why the hell do we buy tomatoes from south america when we sell our tomatoes to europe? That uses way too much oil. It drives up demand and prices.

Why the hell don't the big chain stores buy local and why can't the farmers sell local?

I don't get it.

Pretty much a gigantic "Pyramid Scheme"... the people being the ones at the bottom of the scheme.

devil21
03-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Part of the gas price problem (fleecing?) is that today's barrel of oil price means what that barrel is worth today. It means price of that barrel for delivery next month. So when the cost of crude oil goes up for today, the gas/oil companies bump the price at the pump immediately but they havent even received that crude, much less turned it into gasoline and carted it across the country. If it goes down for the following month's delivery, the price at the pump won't be as affected because Americans have really short memories and dont pay attention. The price is being incrementally raised for bogus reasons (not including the weakening dollar... but it doesnt help). Think about it..."fears" about oil shortages send the price up. When those fears don't materalize the price doesnt go down.

thuja
03-18-2008, 03:15 AM
it is important to know about biofuels and the problems, to put it mildly, that they cause.
good places to find out are: www.biofuelwatch.org.uk
www.gmwatch.org
these crops are GE crops.

acptulsa
03-18-2008, 06:22 AM

I don't get it.

I refer you back to the post that makes the point that oil is one of the most heavily subsidized--if not the most--commodities the U.S. uses. If it weren't for that, this sort of goofiness wouldn't be "economical" and wouldn't happen.