PDA

View Full Version : Stacking up at Walmart - Just sick

ghemminger
03-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Took the Government paper and exchanged it for "unbelieveable" prices on goods

Canned spam and corned beef $2.00??? Got like half a cart....
Already got tons o pasta...

The check out lady was looking at me like I'm crazy - had two grocery carts full and gave her 2 gov green peices of paper!!!

Why do I feel like Alice in Wonderland!!! Stock up while the gettins good - Things are insanely cheap at Walmart - Apparently China doesn't mind getting scewed for now.

torchbearer
03-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Took the Government paper and exchanged it for "unbelieveable" prices on goods

Canned spam and corned beef $2.00??? Got like half a cart....
Already got tons o pasta...

The check out lady was looking at me like I'm crazy - had two grocery carts full and gave her 2 gov green peices of paper!!!

Why do I feel like Alice in Wonderland!!! Stock up while the gettins good - Things are insanely cheap at Walmart - Apparently China doesn't mind getting scewed for now.

you better stock up on fuel too before prices go up even more this summer.
just don't store it in your house.
I'm getting a lot of 5 gallon containers(plastic gas cans). Filled up now to use when prices go through the roof.

ghemminger
03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
you better stock up on fuel too before prices go up even more this summer.
just don't store it in your house.
I'm getting a lot of 5 gallon containers(plastic gas cans). Filled up now to use when prices go through the roof.

Yeah I got 2 metal tanks in my back yard and have been stealing about $1000 worth of fuel everynight out of SUVs in SoCal every night j/k

Remember gas does go bad after a while.:) Every one in my Fam now has a bike - and i take mine anywhere within a mile or so...man i'm feeling and lookin good.... Cars are now not only a depreciating asset - they will now start to suck the lifeblood from families too dependant on them.....

Mesogen
03-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Can you please explain how gasoline "goes bad" after a while? Does it get water in it or something? That's the only thing I can think of.

Kenso
03-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Can you please explain how gasoline "goes bad" after a while? Does it get water in it or something? That's the only thing I can think of.

It breaks down over time and becomes less volatile. From my experiences, you can easily store it for a year or more with no additives. If you want to store it long term, add some Sta-Bil, that will preserve it for several years+. Even without any additives, I've seen it last quite a while, ymmv. Adding some stabilizer to be on the safe side would probably be wise. I recently filled up a 55 gal drum for future use/shortages.

torchbearer
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM
It breaks down over time and becomes less volatile. From my experiences, you can easily store it for a year or more with no additives. If you want to store it long term, add some Sta-Bil, that will preserve it for several years+. Even without any additives, I've seen it last quite a while, ymmv. Adding some stabilizer to be on the safe side would probably be wise. I recently filled up a 55 gal drum for future use/shortages.

how do you get the fuel out of the drum? I heard you weren't suppose to use Kerosene pumps.

amy31416
03-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Sure, gasoline (mostly octane) is an 8 carbon chain, fully saturated with hydrogen, and part of the reason is oxidation (yeah that's the same process by which rust is created, it's basically a shifting of electrons), which causes it to change it's chemical properties and it gets "thicker" which can gum up an engine and decrease efficiency, if you leave it long enough I've seen it turn into more of a gel. You also have to look out for contamination and evaporation.

I believe that the storage life of gasoline as generally reported (6 months or so), is not really a strict guide. It can last longer given the right conditions, but then again, you don't know how long it's been at the gas station either. Try to use clean, plastic containers (steel is okay though) without much headspace--you reduce it's exposure to air, which causes the oxidation (but leave some to allow for expansion and contraction.) And, as with most chemicals, cool storage reduces decomposition. I'd also recommend dark storage, as the sun can cause, obviously, shifts in temperature that would shorten shelf-life.

Stabilizers claim to increase shelf-life to about 2 years, so they may be worth it. Especially in an engine that will be stored for a long period of time. I'd also want to have some fuel injector cleaners on hand if it's a car.

So, signs that gas is bad: more viscous, smells different, visual contamination, darker color. Your senses are your friend.

And, don't just throw away bad gasoline, you'll still be able to use it in some way, I just wouldn't recommend an engine or you could muck up the works. Cautiously use as starter fluid, and, ahem, I can think of some other uses, but I won't share....

torchbearer
03-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm only storing the fuel for about 6 months. I stock up in winter and use during peak prices in the summer. Its stored in an air conditioned dark room in tightly sealed "approved" fuel containers.
It may only save you a few dollars, but that's money that can go to food.

Kenso
03-16-2008, 03:59 PM
how do you get the fuel out of the drum? I heard you weren't suppose to use Kerosene pumps.

I may buy one of these hand pumps, see #963 at the bottom of the page. Other than that, I suppose I could always just use a cheap siphon if nothing else. I considered just storing it in gas cans, might've been easier to dispense, but I got a nice new steel drum for free so I figured I'd go with that.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Delta/Gasboy/gasboy_hand_pumps.htm

mtmedlin
03-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Sure, gasoline (mostly octane) is an 8 carbon chain, fully saturated with hydrogen, and part of the reason is oxidation (yeah that's the same process by which rust is created, it's basically a shifting of electrons), which causes it to change it's chemical properties and it gets "thicker" which can gum up an engine and decrease efficiency, if you leave it long enough I've seen it turn into more of a gel. You also have to look out for contamination and evaporation.

I believe that the storage life of gasoline as generally reported (6 months or so), is not really a strict guide. It can last longer given the right conditions, but then again, you don't know how long it's been at the gas station either. Try to use clean, plastic containers (steel is okay though) without much headspace--you reduce it's exposure to air, which causes the oxidation (but leave some to allow for expansion and contraction.) And, as with most chemicals, cool storage reduces decomposition. I'd also recommend dark storage, as the sun can cause, obviously, shifts in temperature that would shorten shelf-life.

Stabilizers claim to increase shelf-life to about 2 years, so they may be worth it. Especially in an engine that will be stored for a long period of time. I'd also want to have some fuel injector cleaners on hand if it's a car.

So, signs that gas is bad: more viscous, smells different, visual contamination, darker color. Your senses are your friend.

And, don't just throw away bad gasoline, you'll still be able to use it in some way, I just wouldn't recommend an engine or you could muck up the works. Cautiously use as starter fluid, and, ahem, I can think of some other uses, but I won't share....

:eek:

torchbearer
03-16-2008, 05:21 PM
why is the term molotov coming to mind?

amy31416
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM

Because you want a cocktail, obviously. 12 steps man ;)

amy31416
03-16-2008, 05:46 PM
:eek:

Yeah. I'm kinda scary, but not really. (as long as you're on my good side...)

torchbearer
03-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Because you want a cocktail, obviously. 12 steps man ;)

Hey, I'm not quiter!

pcosmar
03-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Absolutely

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/11000/11436_w.jpg

from here
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.worth1000.com/entries/11000/11436_w.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.worth1000.com/cache/gallery/contestcache.asp%3Fcontest_id%3D203%26display%3Dph otoshop&h=662&w=450&sz=24&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=XfgCL7r1xG0gTM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAbsolute%2Bmolotov%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den %26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

John of Des Moines
03-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I've been going to the store buying a little more staples then usual. I've got a kitchen cabinet half full of Jell-O with Rice-a-Roni filling the other half. lol Also, have a spare propane tank for the grill (with a side burner so I can boil water for the Jell-O :)).

DAFTEK
03-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Is you guys abit paranoia? :D