PDA

View Full Version : Barletta invites presidential candidates to discuss illegal

Carson
03-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I saw this posted at the ALIPAC forums.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-108118.html

I wonder if Ron Paul would like to talk to him.???

Barletta invites presidential candidates to discuss illegal immigration

BY L.A. TARONE
STAFF WRITER
03/15/2008

Mayor Lou Barletta has invited the three serious presidential contenders to visit Hazleton.

But the invitation isn’t merely a polite request that they stop in town. It has a point.

“On behalf of the citizens and elected leaders of Hazleton, Pennsylvania, I respectfully invite you to come to our great city to discuss the issue of illegal immigration in the United States,” the letter opens.

It was faxed and/or e-mailed to the campaign headquarters of Democratic contenders, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, and the presumptive Republican nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Barletta’s letter states that Hazleton “has been on the front line of this issue” and that it has “passed some of the toughest illegal immigration laws in the country.”

TOPICS: Illegal Immigration, Illegal Immigrants, Mayor Lou Barletta, Hazleton, Pennsylvania, illegal immigration, United States, illegal immigration laws, federal courts, national spotlight, pathway to citizenship, McCain, amnesty, local and national security, the cost of health care, diminishing wages for our workers, added strain on our educational systems and our overall quality of life, legal immigrants

“Our fight to protect our citizens has made its way into the national spotlight and into the federal courts,” it states. “No matter what your position or voting record on illegal immigration, we want you to come to Hazleton and meet with our citizens and talk with our first responders, law enforcement, medical professionals and elected officials.”

In fact, none of the three agree with Barletta on illegal immigration. All three have publicly favored a less-restrictive immigration policy.

McCain was among the authors and prime drivers of bills in the U.S. Senate in 2006 and 2007 that granted those in the country illegally a “pathway to citizenship,” as he termed it. Critics, including Barletta, called it amnesty.

Both Clinton and Obama supported the legislation, which went down amidst a firestorm of criticism from the public and political pundits.

Since then, McCain has said securing the border is an important issue.

Barletta’s letter says illegal immigration “touches almost every aspect of our lives: local and national security, the cost of health care, diminishing wages for our workers, added strain on our educational systems and our overall quality of life.”

“Hazleton welcomes legal immigrants with open arms,” it further states. “This city and region were built on the backs of hard-working, God-fearing and law-abiding immigrants, however this city has made a stand against illegal immigration and the problems associated with the issue.”

Barletta’s letter also asks the candidates to consider some sort of formal forum for discussion of the issue.

“We welcome you for a debate, a town meeting, a walking tour of our city or some other format of your choosing,” it reads. “Come as a group or individual senators. I expect you to be spending quite a bit of time in this wonderful Commonwealth over the next six weeks. I implore you to set aside partisan politics and primary elections and come visit our great city.”

The letter concludes by telling the three candidates, “If you are serious about dealing with the issue of illegal immigration …” to call Barletta on his cell phone, with the number listed.

Pennsylvania’s primary is April 22. Polls have Clinton leading Obama in the state, with most showing a double-digit lead.

McCain already has won enough delegates to claim the GOP nomination.

tarone@standardspeaker.com
http://tinyurl.com/2p5zys