PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting how the Republican Party of Kentucky conducts county conventions

spotics
03-15-2008, 10:21 PM
:mad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M59N1DKtFpI

They don't even have a show of hands. Elections are decided by whichever side shouts the loudest.

The One
03-15-2008, 10:22 PM
.......but they make hella good fried chicken.

BeFranklin
03-15-2008, 11:12 PM
We had problems at our county convention as well, the delegates were 'pre-approved'. I also note a similar sounding post in a third Kentucky county in the Kentucky section on this forum, besides the mess mentioned in Fayette.

Banana
03-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Be sure to collect evidence and object on the results at the next convention. See my thread about what to do if they break a rule.

BeFranklin
03-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Be sure to collect evidence and object on the results at the next convention. See my thread about what to do if they break a rule.

I've begun the process of letter writing needed to begin complaining at the district level.

The location wasn't published according to GOP rules either (although the central counties were). I'm sure my friends and neighbors would have liked to have shown up if they had the opportunity. I never did find the location from the official GOP. I ended up getting it from the Ron Paul campaign the day before it happened.

molly_pitcher
03-15-2008, 11:29 PM
There are protests out siting this practice. A good Chairman will call the roll and ask for the vocal vote that way if it is weak. I myself have been disenfranchised because of this practice.

Banana
03-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I've begun the process of letter writing needed to begin complaining at the district level.

Good.

Make sure you have as many people as you can on the board on this, and learn everything about your state's rules and RRO.

jointhefightforfreedom
03-15-2008, 11:50 PM
bunch of railroading bullshit!
my local votor registration office warned me of this kind of stuff 5 months ago
"if they tell you the delegates have been preselected they are lying"
the purpose of the precinct meeting is to nominate and select delegates by a show of hands!

erin moore
03-15-2008, 11:50 PM
I had the exact same problem today in Hardin Co. We were able to prepare for this though because I had been attanting the GOP meetings and found out that they were going to be using "Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised."

I bought the book (and the guide to the book) at the bookstore and stayed aup a great part of the night learning how they were going to conduct the meeting and how I could participate.

If they are holding a voice vote and you want a standing vote you say "Division" and they chair is required to have everyone who voted yes stand then everyone who voted no. If there is still a wuestion about the vote you can make a motion to have a hand count or ballot.

I have heard about a lot of problems like this state-wide today. I know I would not have won our delegate fight if I had not read that book. And thats what they were counting on.

I was also on the resolution committee and got several resolutions passed and wound up with youth-chair. I could have had vice-chair but frankly I dont want it. Oh, and all of our people got delegate positions as well.

Hang in there, and by all means, go buy Robert's Rules of order, newly revised, and by the guide by the same: Robert's Rules.... "In breif"

This is the standard for almost all mettings.

Knowledge is power and once you arm yourself there is nothing they can do except outright cheating, and at least at that point you will be able to call attention to the exact rules they were breaking.

Which district are you in? I will be going to the 2nd district convention in April.

spotics
03-16-2008, 12:04 AM
I am in the first. The youtube was in McCracken County, though I live in Carlisle. I was elected unopposed as youth leader. I was also selected as a delegate. The key I found was not to look like you were trying to take over. It also helps that I live in a small county where everybody knows each other and there is less corruption in politics than in a larger county.

We did elect a county chair in Ballard County.

I had the exact same problem today in Hardin Co. We were able to prepare for this though because I had been attanting the GOP meetings and found out that they were going to be using "Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised."

I bought the book (and the guide to the book) at the bookstore and stayed aup a great part of the night learning how they were going to conduct the meeting and how I could participate.

If they are holding a voice vote and you want a standing vote you say "Division" and they chair is required to have everyone who voted yes stand then everyone who voted no. If there is still a wuestion about the vote you can make a motion to have a hand count or ballot.

I have heard about a lot of problems like this state-wide today. I know I would not have won our delegate fight if I had not read that book. And thats what they were counting on.

I was also on the resolution committee and got several resolutions passed and wound up with youth-chair. I could have had vice-chair but frankly I dont want it. Oh, and all of our people got delegate positions as well.

Hang in there, and by all means, go buy Robert's Rules of order, newly revised, and by the guide by the same: Robert's Rules.... "In breif"

This is the standard for almost all mettings.

Knowledge is power and once you arm yourself there is nothing they can do except outright cheating, and at least at that point you will be able to call attention to the exact rules they were breaking.

Which district are you in? I will be going to the 2nd district convention in April.

erin moore
03-16-2008, 12:08 AM
OK I just finished watching the video and I was screaming at the computer. How can these people be so stupid? I understand the average attnedee doesnt know whats going on, but the Chair???? He was OUT OF ORDER so many times and it didnt appear that he had appointed a parlimentarian either.

You NEVEAR take a vote on division, what a moron. Division cannot be appealed. It just has to be done. The person who "called the question" was out of order, as was the motion itself and they wat the Chair handled it was incorrect.

Grrrr.

cjhowe
03-16-2008, 12:21 AM
People, it is imperative that you make yourself familiar with Roberts Rules BEFORE going into these conventions!

POINT OF INQUIRY!
Mr. Chairman, is a motion of division of the assembly a motion requiring a majority vote or is it a motion that is compelled by demand of a single member?

When the individual asked for a division of the assembly at 4:40, that motion was not to be put to a vote.

Banana
03-16-2008, 12:36 AM
erin moore, kudos on doing the homework.

Can't emphasize how important it is to know rules to play the game.

As I've said before:

Failure to object is fatal to your defense!

Even if you happen to be caught off guard and can't think of a proper motion, remember that you can ask chair what is the proper motion to do so and so. If the chair refuses to educate you (it's their responsiblity to do so), object anyway and make sure this go into the minutes so you have a case.

Never ever let any infractions pass by without a whimper.

molly_pitcher
03-16-2008, 01:04 AM
ASKING FOR EDUCATION IS THE KEY! I found out later that not addressing questions is a gross violation of party rules, yet it is frequently done in the smaller GOPs.