PDA

View Full Version : .... Anyone want to reload ammunition specifically for Ron Paul people?

whiskersoil
03-15-2008, 07:39 PM
.... Anyone want to reload ammunition specifically for Ron Paul people?

You know, just in case the time comes. get working on some .308's...

Why don't we have this sort of network?

ItsTime
03-15-2008, 07:49 PM
talk to your meet up group. Shooting skeet is fun

pcosmar
03-15-2008, 07:52 PM
OK, although this sounds like a nice idea, a bad thought comes to mind.

I have not been shooting for a while, but I do have some memories. I am not sure I could trust reloads that I did not reload or Know and TRUST the reloader very well.
I don't think I would consider buying commercial reloads for the same reasons.
I offer this as an example.
www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/ar15kaboom.html

The description and photos on these pages are from the Winter of 1999 to 2000. I had hosted these photos when this had happened and I had always planned to get this page up as a lesson for anybody that should take the time to visit as subsequent investigations into the above KABOOM showed that the cause of this major malfunction was sloppy reloading practices! Some of the loaded rounds were disassembled after this event and it was discovered that pistol powder had been used to load some cartridges. The error seems to have come from emptying a powder measurer into a container that was labeled incorrectly. In the process, when the shooter went to reload the next time he managed to use pistol powder instead of the rifle powder he thought he was using. The faster burn rate of this pistol powder caused dramatically increased pressures and the subsequent explosion of this AR15. I think the photos really tell a story that we would all be wise to listen to!

Cap
03-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Reloading is not that expensive to get into if you set up for a single stage press and reload for your calibers. You could be off and reloading for around 300 fiat dollars.

The expense comes with your time. Just how much is your time worth? It takes time to develop a great load. Lots and lots of research, tinkering with different loads till you hit that sweet spot. You should keep meticulous records, so you know which load works well and which ones don't.

As far as safety, I recommend using a single stage press (my preference). A single stage forces you to pay attention to every step. You should only reload when there are no distractions around and absolutely remember that alcohol and reloading don't mix well.

Reloading is something that is not for everyone. If you tend to be creative and pay attention to detail, then you will be a good reloader. I liken it to being a chef, only the stakes are higher. If you feel that you are the type of person who would fit that bill, then by all means, reload. With todays technology, it is relatively easy to find the resources needed to succeed.

Dequeant
03-16-2008, 05:15 AM
You should only reload when there are no distractions around and absolutely remember that alcohol and reloading don't mix well.

Worth noting is that alcohol and reloading works 10x better together than does reloading and smoking........

pcosmar
03-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Reloading for personal use is a great idea, both for cost and fine tuning your ammo, and I did not mean to come off negative to the OP suggestion.

I only wanted to point out the danger of using "unknown" ammo.
This was also used as a tactic in the past, to leave "bobby trapped" ammo behind to be found.
I would be careful shooting anything you are not sure of.

Hawk45
03-17-2008, 02:52 PM
While I really do appreciate the spirt of this topic you should know that reloading for anyone other than yourself is a BIG Fed NO NO. They WILL bust you for it big time and you will lose any rights you do have now. To reload for ANYONE other than yourself you MUST have a manufacturing license. This is per the BATF website.

Reloading is NOT some big mystery. Heck even my children know how to do it as I have had them with me doing it since they were 6 years old for my son and 10 for my daughter. Only reason I did not start her at 6 was she wasn't interested and the son was. Besides it made them appreciate the ammo they burned more!

Doktor_Jeep
03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Indeed unknown ammo can be a great liability and cause trouble.

For example, when I scrounge brass at the action ranges, I pick up odd long-loaded 9mm cartridges.

These are special loads for USPSA race guns. They use a 1911 frame with a fat mag well and a big stick mag that fits. They can fit up to 30 rounds into these things (on average I hear the number 25 or 26 from the shooters). The rounds are more than just tuned the the special compensators.

You would not think these things are common, for these race guns cost around $3000.

But that 9mm load is a very hot load designed to reach a major power factor and used in those race guns. If you put one in a regular 9mm, you would blow it up.

I must also say that I do not agree with centralized reloading. I think EVERY shooter should have a press. It was very easy in Revolution 1 for the militia and regulars to maintain their ammo because all they needed was powder - and basic black powder can be made on a farm. They all carried a mold with them and made their own ball.

The more presses and reloading supplies "out there", the better. Put too many eggs in one basket and you make it too easy to any enemy to shut down ammo production.